Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2014, 12:43 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,395,337 times

Advertisements

I suppose there are still some millennials like this who have a problem with gay and lesbian people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p51Ic7kgpA

Old 10-12-2014, 07:51 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,884,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Cathy, what do you have against same sex marriage? What do you have against my spouse and I being legally married and granted those 1049 right from the government, rights that you got when you got a federal civil marriage license? My spouse and I have been together since 1979, though we do not have children, why should we be denied those federal rights? Children are not required of any marriage, so it cannot be about children and anyone that says that it insures that children have a mom and dad. How does banning same sex marriage insure that children have a mom and dad? That is only one excuse that I have heard, there are many reasons that people come up with to justify denying us rights they themselves enjoy, but the mom and dad one makes no sense. Unless it keeps Paul from divorcing Victoria now that he can marry his "buddy" Dave because it is legal.
There is no such thing as a federal marriage license. It's up to the individual states. But...I digress.

The idea of man-man and woman-woman "marriage" is so foreign to me that I've never been able to wrap my head around it. I actually give it very little thought until it comes up as a state issue (such as an amendment to our state constitution), I read a news or magazine article about it, or something on TV. Given that it's getting to be a fairly constant thing on a daily basis means that people DO think about it more than they did 10 years or more ago.

But I can't change that (the idea of its being foreign) idea/attitude overnight. How do I do that?

But the fact that many don't agree with it has not changed anything. The best I am going to be able to do is live and let live. When you get right down to it, gays don't care what I think about it, and that's perfectly OK with me.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You're right, that isn't homosexuality, why are you bringing it up?

Genuine homosexuality does exist in nature. And not just homosexual acts. Bonded homosexual pairs do occur in nature, even when there are available nonmated individuals of the opposite sex. This information is easily available on the internet, I wonder why you choose to be so ignorant?

Regardless, though, the fact that a particular behavior is found in other creatures, or in humans living in a different culture, is not a prescription for or against allowing that behavior in our society. In our culture, the standard is that adult human beings should be able to do pretty much as we please, unless that behavior harms or significantly interferes with the rights and well-being of others. Using that standard, there simply is no factual basis to deny marriage to homosexual couples.
I was responding to another individual who was talking about homosexual behavior in birds and otherwise.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:20 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,303,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Doubtful, since every poll shows the same thing. My experiences in college, grad school, and the workforce give me the same results.
I worked on a college campus in the Athletic Department for years and even the majority of student athletes support gay rights and marriage equality. Most of the pro athletes that I know personally support it. When gays have athletes on their side that is saying something. The objection from millennials mostly comes from those with no more then a HS degree or those from very religious backgrounds.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:43 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,292,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
Not from what I have seen. I would also argue there isn't much support for gay marriage among millennials either. More so indifference. And please don't speak for all millennials, there are many who are conservative. In fact, most millennials I know are more on the conservative or moderate side. Many are becoming more conservative as they get older.
I seriously doubt you know many millennials if you think that. Either that or you only have met people in a very religous setting. There is a TON of support for gay marriage in my age group , so I am wondering about all these people you are claiming to know. We are conservative fiscally, but socially liberal. The first part is nothing new because as people age they have always shifted right. The difference is in this case millennials aren't shifting right socially, but rather only fiscally.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I worked on a college campus in the Athletic Department for years and even the majority of student athletes support gay rights and marriage equality. Most of the pro athletes that I know personally support it. When gays have athletes on their side that is saying something. The objection from millennials mostly comes from those with no more then a HS degree or those from very religious backgrounds.
Yeah, I have no clue on what he is talking about because it's pretty much the complete opposite of the experience I have had with people my age group.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,890,590 times
Default Understand the Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
I was responding to another individual who was talking about homosexual behavior in birds and otherwise.
Cathy, you got to understand. The gay community want forces universal acceptance of their life style. Next they will be trying to sue the Pope to rewrite the King James Bible. I see you have been pounced on by all quarters and I can assure we ( other Christians ) will keep on posting the traditional view.

They are not contend with a civil union which would solve the problem of peoples rights. They want the title of Marriage. Of course Gays Com. want the Judgment by the courts and they have over turned States Rights ( 10th Amendment ) The purpose in prolong is to get more outrage by people to change the view of people who live very normal lives everyday.

What irks the Pro Gay Marriage is we accept their civil union, but do not accept their life style as normal. Its at the end of the day a " Unquestioned acceptance of a Life style / choice " is the real issue here.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Cathy, you got to understand. The gay community want forces universal acceptance of their life style. Next they will be trying to sue the Pope to rewrite the King James Bible. I see you have been pounced on by all quarters and I can assure we ( other Christians ) will keep on posting the traditional view.

They are not contend with a civil union which would solve the problem of peoples rights. They want the title of Marriage. Of course Gays Com. want the Judgment by the courts and they have over turned States Rights ( 10th Amendment ) The purpose in prolong is to get more outrage by people to change the view of people who live very normal lives everyday.

What irks the Pro Gay Marriage is we accept their civil union, but do not accept their life style as normal. Its at the end of the day a " Unquestioned acceptance of a Life style / choice " is the real issue here.
That's pretty much it. *Sigh*

Old 10-12-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post

Since most states don't have them, and 16 ban gays from entering civil unions, that's pretty much BS. Plus, why should gay people have to have a different class than everyone else because a handful of people can't recognize it's the 21st century and we don't live in a theocracy? You can keep posting the traditional view until you are blue in the face. However, given that people are becoming less and less religious, I think we can guarantee you won't have much of a forum to shout out your views in the decades to come. You also need to actually read the constitution. I fail to understand why I have to explain this one over and over again, but I will anyway. Just because a state has the right to pass marriage laws does not mean the laws they pass will be considered constitutional.The 10th amendment is not the single greatest amendment on the document, which declares all other amendments null and void when it comes to state issues.

Old 10-12-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
There is no such thing as a federal marriage license. It's up to the individual states. But...I digress.

The idea of man-man and woman-woman "marriage" is so foreign to me that I've never been able to wrap my head around it. I actually give it very little thought until it comes up as a state issue (such as an amendment to our state constitution), I read a news or magazine article about it, or something on TV. Given that it's getting to be a fairly constant thing on a daily basis means that people DO think about it more than they did 10 years or more ago.

But I can't change that (the idea of its being foreign) idea/attitude overnight. How do I do that?

But the fact that many don't agree with it has not changed anything. The best I am going to be able to do is live and let live. When you get right down to it, gays don't care what I think about it, and that's perfectly OK with me.

I don't know what there is to wrap your head around. Some people find the same sex attractive. Why should they not have the right to marriage when people of the opposite sex do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies