Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:43 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M E H View Post
I am surprised more black people don't take this stance?
Why?

Old 10-06-2014, 08:49 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
What a surprise that the thread has devolved into the standard liberals believe this, conservatives believe that nonsense. Do we really have to go through this in every P&OC thread? Has the irony of it all occurred to any of you?

Old 10-06-2014, 08:52 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
and all the CD conservatives applauded. what a dream to be able to discriminate against a group of people who won't admit why you are discriminating against them. personally, I don't refer to myself as African American either. I am a black American, because I carry DNA other than my west African DNA and I do not culturally identify with any west African cultures. I don't care how Raven identifies herself, it is her choice. But in general, insisting that I am just an American like you, that is all, will not prevent me, my family or my fellow black Americans from facing discrimination. Sorry.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:53 PM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
I'm just glad she's doing okay. Disney has a history of seriously damaging child actors.

Old 10-06-2014, 08:59 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You destroyed your own argument as I was responding to someone who said she isnt a leftist, something echoed multiple times by conservatives on this very thread.

If the above is truly what you believed, then you would have responded to the multiple people who had said she isnt a leftist including the very person i was responding to.

Also, Raven is like 30. Im pretty sure she has already formed those opinions and my post on here isnt going to change them.( i doubt she would ever see them)
Saying someone is not something is not pinning a label on them. If you can't see that saying someone is a leftist is labeling them I certainly can't make you see it. When someone is specifically saying they don't want to be labeled, they don't mean they are making an exception for whatever label you still think applies.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I honestly doubt she's a leftist. Probably leans left, but generally the left wants to celebrate ethnic heritage while the right tends to focus on nationalism in the present. I personally find both views ridiculous, as my heiritage is based on accident of birth and so is my nationality technically, but even so, unless I founded this country, saying 'I'm proud to be an American' is as bizarre to me as saying 'I'm proud of being able to grow a full beard.' Neither were a result of something I did, but that's beside the point. She's likley not a leftist, though is arguably socially liberal in the actual meaning of the word liberal, which comes down to 'mind your own business.'
My definition of leftist = Left of center.....so she is leftist.

I believe what you are defining as Leftist is some Conservative idea of the Left as in Bernie Sanders.

But recognizing ones roots has nothing to do with being Right or Left,people from all parts of the political spectrum do that.

Last edited by dsjj251; 10-06-2014 at 09:11 PM..

Old 10-06-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
Saying someone is not something is not pinning a label on them. If you can't see that saying someone is a leftist is labeling them I certainly can't make you see it.
If you are saying someone does not belong to a certain group then you are by definition labeling what defines the group they are not apart of , and putting them in the "Other" group.

so yes it is labeling. Whether you want to see it as labeling her "other" or labeling Leftist as leftist doesnt matter, it would still be labeling.

As for the second part, i never said i wasnt labeling in what i said.

Quote:
When someone is specifically saying they don't want to be labeled, they don't mean they are making an exception for whatever label you still think applies.
I never claimed there was an exemption, All i pointed out was your hypocrisy and lack of understanding. You should have went after everyone trying to label her as "other"

Old 10-06-2014, 09:11 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
I'd probably have that attitude also if I was worth millions.

Regardless, I love Raven. She's awesome.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:15 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
My definition of leftist = Left of center.....so she is leftist.

I believe what you are defining as Leftist is some Conservative idea of the Left as in Bernie Sanders.

But recognizing ones roots has nothing to do with being Right or Left,people from all parts of the political spectrum do that.
Left of center on all issues? She's clearly socially liberal but that's only half of politics. Has she addressed the debt ceiling at all? Does she have an economic plan.

I feel I need to say this again, as I've said it before: we don't need to define ourselves as liberal or conservative all the time. There's middle ground and times when I personally have been both, as with many others.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Left of center on all issues?
who knows ? But you dont have to be left of Center on all issues to be a Leftist.

And talking about this in political terms, this is someone who has continuously supported Democrats through out her adult life.

Quote:
She's clearly socially liberal but that's only half of politics. Has she addressed the debt ceiling at all? Does she have an economic plan.

I feel I need to say this again, as I've said it before: we don't need to define ourselves as liberal or conservative all the time. There's middle ground and times when I personally have been both, as with many others.

And ill make my point again. before the deletions there were about 6 pages of comments, at least a page worth, saying she couldnt possibly be a leftist.

What makes my post any different than theirs ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies