Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 05:13 PM

19,860 posts, read 12,139,830 times

Advertisements

One reason I think this video is stirring up such a reaction is that Raven Symone did not come across angry or confrontational. When people are nice other people tend to have a better reaction to them and everyone wins. My guess is she usually has positive interactions because she exudes positive energy.

It is comical that a poster called me naïve, that I didn't know she was liberal. Who cares? I don't care if someone has different beliefs. Life would be boring if we all thought alike. I was aware that Raven is likely liberal as she is a young actress. The attitudes here seem to project that conservatives cannot admire someone who is different than them and they could not be more wrong.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,255,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It sure does, you like to label yourself. Sad.
SMH...so what am I supposed to call myself? Generic?

Get outta here.

I belong to a group. I'm happy that I belong to that group. I'm not gonna deny my ties to that group because it makes conservative white people uncomfortable. That's your problem, not mine.

Sad? Nothing sad about it. Everyone else gets to do it, and I'm not about to pretend as if that same right isn't mine too.

What's so sad about that. Pfffffft.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:14 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,926,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Never, nor do I need to..

I know several Asian Americans that call themselves exactly that, and very few of them have set foot in Asia.

If they can, we can. No...screw that...

In fact, we can call ourselves African Americans regardless of whether other groups use hyphens or not...And we're not taking suggestions from outsiders on the matter.

That answer your question?
Are American Black people even welcome in Africa unless they've got money? I ask because LatAm Hispanic ain't real well liked in Spain, even white Argentines of Spanish family.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:17 PM

63,022 posts, read 29,229,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
You have ties to Africa? Have you ever set foot in Africa? That is what I wonder, have these people even been to Africa?
If they feel they have more ties to another continent over being U.S. born then I suggest they move back there.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:21 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,926,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If they feel they have more ties to another continent over being U.S. born then I suggest they move back there.
Agreed.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:29 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,255,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Are American Black people even welcome in Africa unless they've got money? I ask because LatAm Hispanic ain't real well liked in Spain, even white Argentines of Spanish family.
Don't know...don't care.

Doesn't matter one way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Your suggestion has been denied and not taken under advisement.

Put all other suggestions in the African American suggestion box...so we can ignore those too.

Old 10-07-2014, 06:53 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,435,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M E H View Post
I am surprised more black people don't take this stance?
Its probably because black people are no more monolithic regarding self image than anyone else. And while I adore Raven and also consider the term Afro-American inappropriate, since most of us born in the last 100 years have never been citizens of the continent, she no more speaks for the rest of us than I do.
Charlize Theron now living here in America, would accurately be more 'Afro American' than my African descended generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chloe_inMD View Post
I've always disliked the terms "white/black." I've yet to meet one person with black skin, or one person with white skin.
Since many people who regard themselves as "black" or "white" come in may variations, these uniquely American terms are more political designations rather than literal. Like, what is the real difference between a dark tanned 'white' person and a light skinned 'black' person? Are they not both bi-racial?

Old 10-07-2014, 06:59 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,515,594 times
Why does it matter what people want to call themselves?
Black people in this country doesn't have the same "glorious" immigration past as most white people. I came to this country by choice. My husbands ancestors came here by choice about 150 years ago. We can go back and search our roots if we want to. African Americans can't. Not the same way we can.
So if calling themselves African American gives them that identity ( don't know a better word to use ) than so be it. In the end. I am white so I don't care what they or any other "race" chose to cal themselves.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:54 PM

63,022 posts, read 29,229,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Why does it matter what people want to call themselves?
Black people in this country doesn't have the same "glorious" immigration past as most white people. I came to this country by choice. My husbands ancestors came here by choice about 150 years ago. We can go back and search our roots if we want to. African Americans can't. Not the same way we can.
So if calling themselves African American gives them that identity ( don't know a better word to use ) than so be it. In the end. I am white so I don't care what they or any other "race" chose to cal themselves.

If they were born here then why not call themselves black-Americans? We already know where most of them originated but most of them have never even set foot in Africa. My ancestoral roots were from Germany. Should I call myself a German-American when I have never even been to Germany and was born here? Makes no sense at all.

Old 10-07-2014, 08:36 PM

587 posts, read 1,412,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; in 2014 the "minorities" of ANY kind many times CHOOSE to be on the outside, especially "Hispanic" people.

Not too long ago: us anglo whites were "Irish, Italian, English, German" and so on like as in different "races". Things change and we've joined together as 1 race.

The drug thing IS a real big problem with at least Rez American Indians and drugs are real big in the Black hoods.

Hispanic culture: if it's so good, then please tell us why every country in LatAm is a racist basket case.
Uh, every city in America is segregated because of white people fleeing to the suburbs back in the 50's, 60's and 70's. It was called white flight, genius. It's the reason why you didn't grow up around any black people or hardly any other minorities if you are white and grew up in a white suburban area. White people created segregation and perpetuate it to this day. Blacks tried living amongst white people, but white people said "there goes the neighborhood" when more than two black families moved onto their street and left for the suburbs in droves. Blacks living in economically blasted inner city areas with poor schools, liquor stores on every corner, open air drug markets and normalization of gun violence, death and murder are very much born on the outside looking in. They didn't "choose" to be born into these circumstances.

And no, black people didn't magically turn white neighborhoods "bad" by grabbing tons of heroin, cocaine and military issue guns out of thin air. Rich white men are behind the huge drug problem in black inner cities. Ask yourself, how do dirt poor black people in the inner city manage to get tons of heroin and cocaine into their neighborhoods when they often don't have enough money to afford rent over $300 a month?! Historically, heroin and cocaine are imported to inner cities as a means of population control. But over the decades, minorities in the hood learned not to mess with heroin because they saw the havoc it wreaked on their communities in the 60's, 70's, 80's and early 90's. The CIA uses ghetto people of color to distribute hard drugs that are by in large used by, you guessed it, suburban WHITE people. Over 90% of new heroin addicts in the last decade are WHITE. Modern opiate addiction has been described as a white man's disease.

Heroin users are white, wealthy and living in the suburbs : SCIENCE : Tech Times

And your comment about Latinos "choosing" to be on the outside is beyond ignorant. Most Latinos come to America and start from the very bottom doing the jobs fat, lazy Americans refuse to do. But many Latinos do end up climbing the economic ladder in America because of their mind boggling work ethic as poor immigrants.

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 10-07-2014 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies