Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 12:18 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,811,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Well, obviously there are a lot of people in this country who are committed to fanning the flames of racial conflict in order to sustain this vile form of contentiousness for their own personal purposes and personal gain. Those people are racists, one and all, regardless of their political leanings or their skin color.
I think it's naive to try and ignore race. Why can't we celebrate our differences instead of pretending that they don't or shouldn't exist?

Old 10-08-2014, 06:06 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,378,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I don't label myself publicly to others unless asked. If someone asks me what nationality I am I will say that I am an American, period. If someone asks me where my ancestors came from I will say Germany. If someone asks my race I will say white. I am obviously a male and don't need to declare my gender. My sexual preference is my own business and no one else's but I don't go around declaring that I am a straight male either. Does that answer your question?
No because you still identify as such and experience life as a straight, white American male. You can not separate your experience from who you are.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It sure does, you like to label yourself. Sad.
Why is it sad to label yourself? I wear many labels as do you.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:10 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,555,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I think it's naive to try and ignore race. Why can't we celebrate our differences instead of pretending that they don't or shouldn't exist?
Fine with me. That would certainly be a lot better than what we are doing now.

If you can think of a legitimate, achievable way to get all of the self-serving racists in our country to stop being hateful and selfish around this topic, you would be a greater civil rights leader than this country or this world has yet seen. And that is what is going to be required to get everyone to "celebrate" their differences in the way that you seem to be suggesting.

Or, is your idea of celebration to continue the racial hostilities as long as you think that there might be something to gain in it for you and others who think like you? Hopefully that is not the case, because anyone who thinks like that is of course not part of the solution, they are part of the problem.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:12 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,220,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I have no idea what this young lady has been doing professionally since she played a cute little kid in the Cosby Show back in the 80's (which I watched) and a teenager starring in her own comedy (which I never saw) but she was recently interviewed by Oprah Winfrey.

1. She does not want to be labelled gay - she wants to be known as a lover of humans

2. She does not want to be labelled African American - she wants to be referred to as an American, and her roots are in Louisiana.

I don't give a lot of weight to what entertainers have to say about anything political, but many people do. A different perspective than what you often hear coming from personalities:

Raven Symone To Oprah: 'I'm Not African-American -- I'm American' - MTV

LOL
oh boy did this little girl make the BIG O mad
look how she reacted!! she kept twisting in her chair
personally I can not take Oprah, she is such a racist
and really I could care less about Ms Symone
but good for her to shun labels

she stood her ground and did not blink to the Big O
now THAT was worth watching!!!

Old 10-08-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post

Old 10-08-2014, 06:21 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,220,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Never, nor do I need to..

I know several Asian Americans that call themselves exactly that, and very few of them have set foot in Asia.

If they can, we can. No...screw that...

In fact, we can call ourselves African Americans regardless of whether other groups use hyphens or not...And we're not taking suggestions from outsiders on the matter.

That answer your question?

well whoopee for you
but I don't have to bow down to you
and that is exactly what so many want
hey call yourself zippee dee doo day
I do not give a rats butt
it is a free country at least
sort of LOL
from an outsider~~~

Old 10-08-2014, 06:26 AM

12,980 posts, read 13,726,356 times
Whats wrong with saying "I am a black lesbian" and let people deal with it?

Old 10-08-2014, 06:33 AM

25,881 posts, read 16,600,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Whats wrong with saying "I am a black lesbian" and let people deal with it?
She doesn't want to be labeled anything. She just wants to be a person and respected for that.

I loved the way she made Oprah look so bad and really exposed her BS to people willing to see it.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:38 AM

63,156 posts, read 29,329,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
my roots are here, not in Europe
I pay no attention to where by ancestors came from 200 years ago
do I know where that is? yes to a degree, because my sister did the research from my mother's side
of the family
it is nice to know but I do not claim to be Irish/ American LOL
Good points. Also, it's one thing to celebrate one's heritage by practicing some of your ancestor's culture at home rather than going to the extreme of hyphenating oneself by one's ancestoral roots. That's a celebration? Weird, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies