Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 09:05 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,944,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
"American" is a label too. Duh.
Uh; "American" means a citizen of the US.

Same thing for "Mexican", a person from that country and so on. Sheesh!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:07 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,944,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It appears that many American citizens from Mexican heritage are still obsessed with Mexico also by calling themselves Mexican-Americans and proudly flying the Mexican flag. I don't see them being obsessed with Spain even though half their ancestors came from there. Hmm.
Def agree there. Maybe because most people of "Mexican" family know they'd be treated like dirt in Spain.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:14 AM

8,634 posts, read 13,035,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Give it three generations. Maybe four for them given the close proximity and history of Mexico and the US.

They'll get absorbed in the end, we all do.
I agree. The overwhelming majority of Mexican Americans in this country don't have deep roots in this nation. The will assimilate overtime.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:18 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,596,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; "American" means a citizen of the US.

Same thing for "Mexican", a person from that country and so on. Sheesh!
Yeah and it's a label as well. I don't know why anyone cares so much if someone wishes to identify as gay, straight, american, african-american, hispanic, what have you. It's amazing that people will argue about literally anything.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Without racism the Democrat party would collapse. They're a three legged stool built on racism, sexism, and class-warfare, so they do what they can to keep those three things going.
You make a great point. Democratic elites don't view Blacks as fellow Americans but more as a racial group they can take advantage of when it comes to getting votes.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:22 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,378,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
my roots are here, not in Europe
I pay no attention to where by ancestors came from 200 years ago
do I know where that is? yes to a degree, because my sister did the research from my mother's side
of the family
it is nice to know but I do not claim to be Irish/ American LOL

I am an American of Irish and German descent. I am interested in learning about my family's history and the history of their respective countries of origin.

What is wrong with that?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
She doesn't want to be labeled anything. She just wants to be a person and respected for that.

I loved the way she made Oprah look so bad and really exposed her BS to people willing to see it.
What is a person without the things that make them that individual?

Anything you can say about a person would be a label.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Yeah and it's a label as well. I don't know why anyone cares so much if someone wishes to identify as gay, straight, american, african-american, hispanic, what have you. It's amazing that people will argue about literally anything.
I don't care if people choose to identify with those labels but I have a problem when people force those labels on to me. Don't call me a hyphenated American, I'm just American.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
So what! I don't go around publicly announcing who I am as a person and that's the point you apparently missed.
LOL No one has to publicly announce they are black or white, gay or straight. When you are living your every day life these things will make themselves known. THAT is the point that you are missing.

Quote:
You can stop with the insults right now! One can celebrate their ancestor's heritage/culture all they want at home but there is no need to hyphenate oneself by it. If you were born here you are an American not African-American, German-American, etc.
For some people they want to be connected to their family's country of origin. The point that many of you don't know or understand is that when our (white) ancestors brought those black slaves here their whole identity and cultural frame of reference was stolen from them. They were made to become puppets of the European Americans in everything from name to style of dress to religion. For descendants of those people, they want to reclaim what was stolen.

Yes, you can say that it happened 150 years ago so who cares but the fact is that much of our country's history, up to and including today, has grown out of the actions of our descendants. It has shaped so much of our country's politics, culture, relations that it seems very odd to try and act like it happened in a vacuum.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:29 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,596,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't care if people choose to identify with those labels but I have a problem when people force those labels on to me. Don't call me a hyphenated American, I'm just American.
I've never had anyone call me a hypenated american. Here's how it goes: "Oh, are you american?" or "Oh, are you from america?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies