Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 11:43 AM

63,002 posts, read 29,210,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
This however is not true.
It certainly is true that many Mexicans are of the Reconquista mindset and that they do say that whites are here illegally in their own country.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well, that is fine although it is not like anyone is lopping of the 'American' part in "African-American."

African-Americans have as much right to celebrate their heritage as German-Americans, Chinese-Americans, etc, etc, etc.

Or they can consider their heritage interesting but largely irrelevant as many do.

Whatever.
Good lord, there are some ridiculous reading comprehension problems here. No one is saying that an American can't celebrate their ancestor's heritage. Just that if you are American born there is no need to hyphenate oneself by their ancestor's countries. It's really that simple.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LOL! Truth hurt much? I wonder if Native Americans do the same. They are right!
What truth? Are you saying that whites that were born in this country are here illegally? Is that your truth? So-called Native Americans are right about what in regards to whites alive today? It is Mestizo Mexicans that keep making those insane claims and guess what half of their ancestors were white Europeans from Spain now isn't that just being hypocritical? Your racism against whites is starting to show now and if you're white your certainly a self-hating one. I have no further need to debate with you. Bye.

Last edited by Oldglory; 10-08-2014 at 12:02 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 11:59 AM

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Old 10-08-2014, 12:04 PM

25,856 posts, read 16,555,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Liberals don't like TR.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:07 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,245,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Well, obviously there are a lot of people in this country who are committed to fanning the flames of racial conflict in order to sustain this vile form of contentiousness for their own personal purposes and personal gain. Those people are racists, one and all, regardless of their political leanings or their skin color.
Whatever you say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
well whoopee for you
but I don't have to bow down to you
and that is exactly what so many want
hey call yourself zippee dee doo day
I do not give a rats butt
it is a free country at least
sort of LOL
from an outsider~~~
Right. That's what you are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
She doesn't want to be labeled anything. She just wants to be a person and respected for that.

I loved the way she made Oprah look so bad and really exposed her BS to people willing to see it.
Oprah looked bad? LOL...it's her show and she asked a simple question.
Quote:
They aren't "celebrating" anything. They are hiding behind a title like "African-American"

My SE Asian immigrant neighbors don't refer to themselves as anything but Americans. But they work 12-16 hours a day so they don't have a lot of time for nonsense.
Meh...i think you're lying. Blatantly. If they were working that much, i doubt they'd have time to talk to you about the issue.

As far as what we hide behind...don't worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I paid attention in geography and do pay attention to current events (sub-Saharan African borders can and do shift periodically) so I can name more than 15.

Sorry but this white dude pays attention to Africa. I have some investments scattered around there and some personal connections in South Africa, Orania, Angola, and Kenya.
Like i said, you couldn't name 15 with Google. Hell, you couldn't name 5.

As for your investments? LMAO.....you really need to give it up and chill with the Thurston Howell III routine.
Quote:
I don't label people ever. If I have to DESCRIBE a person for a reason I might say a hispanic, a white, a black person and their age and sex. Those aren't labels. Those are points of reference.
You do label people. All the time.
Quote:
Many Italian and Irish Americans proudly display their country of origin's flag, often alongside Old Glory herself.

Nothing wrong with that!
They can do it...we can't.

Go figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Please don't say "we"

You can't speak for a group of people, you can only speak for yourself.

and i respect that you want to call yourself African American.
I prefer not to be labeled by my skin color because i don't find it important and it reminds me of the 1930s.
We.

Old 10-08-2014, 12:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,521,390 times
Quote:
It certainly is true that many Mexicans are of the Reconquista mindset and that they do say that whites are here illegally in their own country.
I feel bad for them.... are they really that confused about what century we are in?

Old 10-08-2014, 12:09 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Quote:
There is no reason for people alive to correct anything that was done in the past. Those people are all dead now and no one is responsible for what any dead people did. As for blacks, have you forgotten AA that was implemented? That is only one of things that modern society has done to help the black community succeed. Time these eternal victim cards were tossed.
The seeds sown by our ancestors are still in full bloom today. You can not relegate an entire group of people to the fringes for centuries and expect their descendants to not be affected.

Last edited by Magritte25; 10-08-2014 at 12:24 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 12:13 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Quote:
So that 20 year old kid just out of HS has a "long storied history"?
What are you not understanding about my words? This is bigger than an individual person. We are talking about institutional racism, poverty, discrimination. It wasn't until the 1960s that many of these people were even allowed to attend the same schools as whites or marry other races. It wasn't until the 1970s-1990s that homosexuals could come out of the closet without being thrown in jail or a mental institution. These social constructs were in places for centuries. Do you expect all things to be fixed in less than 50 years when we are still ripping down what was done by our ancestors?? If so, why?

Old 10-08-2014, 12:14 PM

13,984 posts, read 5,644,902 times
Quote:
The seeds sown by our ancestors are still in full bloom today. You can not relegate an entire group of people to the fringes for centuries and expect their ascendants to not be affected.
Ascendants?

Anyway, why are people, who have never discriminated, on the hook for sins of other people in the past, and based not on direct involvement, but on physical similarity? Why must innocent people pay a price for "crimes" committed by others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies