Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 06:42 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,203,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I think it's naive to try and ignore race. Why can't we celebrate our differences instead of pretending that they don't or shouldn't exist?
Race is just genetics and skin color. They are superficial because we are all still humans so where's the big difference to celebrate? Now culture is an entire different thing.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No because you still identify as such and experience life as a straight, white American male. You can not separate your experience from who you are.
So what! I don't go around publicly announcing who I am as a person and that's the point you apparently missed.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What a preposterous, arrogant and immature statement.

There is nothing wrong with recognizing and celebrating one's heritage.
You can stop with the insults right now! One can celebrate their ancestor's heritage/culture all they want at home but there is no need to hyphenate oneself by it. If you were born here you are an American not African-American, German-American, etc.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:51 AM

25,853 posts, read 16,552,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You can stop with the insults right now! One can celebrate their ancestor's heritage/culture all they want at home but there is no need to hyphenate oneself by it. If you were born here you are an American not African-American, German-American, etc.
They aren't "celebrating" anything. They are hiding behind a title like "African-American"

My SE Asian immigrant neighbors don't refer to themselves as anything but Americans. But they work 12-16 hours a day so they don't have a lot of time for nonsense.

Old 10-08-2014, 06:55 AM

25,853 posts, read 16,552,727 times
Since I'm German-American I'm trying to figure out when I would ever use that. Hmmm, maybe if the Fourth Reich arises and marches in here and takes over. Then it might be useful.

Other than that, I can't imagine why I would give myself a hyphenated name. Most black folks can trace their heritage back in America WAY farther than me, maybe 400 years. I can go 120 years or so max. So if anyone has a right to a hyphenated name it's me over them.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:10 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,598,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You couldn't name 15 WITH Google.
I paid attention in geography and do pay attention to current events (sub-Saharan African borders can and do shift periodically) so I can name more than 15.

Sorry but this white dude pays attention to Africa. I have some investments scattered around there and some personal connections in South Africa, Orania, Angola, and Kenya.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:25 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,574,751 times
Quote:
"American" is a label too. Duh.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
I know from personal experience...he's just not very intelligent and has a mouth vastly superior to intellect in output.

What's race have to do with it anyway? I can grab a random white person and ask them to name 15 European nations and probably only get seven tops.

Americans by the third generation usually don't have much interest in their ancestral lands regardless of their melanin content.
It appears that many American citizens from Mexican heritage are still obsessed with Mexico also by calling themselves Mexican-Americans and proudly flying the Mexican flag. I don't see them being obsessed with Spain even though half their ancestors came from there. Hmm.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Fine with me. That would certainly be a lot better than what we are doing now.

If you can think of a legitimate, achievable way to get all of the self-serving racists in our country to stop being hateful and selfish around this topic, you would be a greater civil rights leader than this country or this world has yet seen. And that is what is going to be required to get everyone to "celebrate" their differences in the way that you seem to be suggesting.

Or, is your idea of celebration to continue the racial hostilities as long as you think that there might be something to gain in it for you and others who think like you? Hopefully that is not the case, because anyone who thinks like that is of course not part of the solution, they are part of the problem.
Without racism the Democrat party would collapse. They're a three legged stool built on racism, sexism, and class-warfare, so they do what they can to keep those three things going.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
It appears that many American citizens from Mexican heritage are still obsessed with Mexico also by calling themselves Mexican-Americans and proudly flying the Mexican flag. I don't see them being obsessed with Spain even though half their ancestors came from there. Hmm.
Give it three generations. Maybe four for them given the close proximity and history of Mexico and the US.

They'll get absorbed in the end, we all do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies