Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2014, 08:44 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why would you be proud to be black? LOL...that's ridiculous.

You didn't choose your race, and being of any race isn't a personal accomplishment. It's just what you are.

I take pride in being a black man and i endeavor to represent it the right way at all times, but i'm not proud to be black.
well, i'm proud to have ancestors who survived despite all the adversity they faced. I guess some might simplify this by saying they are proud to be black. if not for my strong ancestors, I literally wouldn't be here.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:01 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,521,865 times
Quote:
Never, nor do I need to..

I know several Asian Americans that call themselves exactly that, and very few of them have set foot in Asia.

If they can, we can. No...screw that...

In fact, we can call ourselves African Americans regardless of whether other groups use hyphens or not...And we're not taking suggestions from outsiders on the matter.

That answer your question?
it's weird the same people who are applauding raven's choice to self identify as just an American don't want to allow the rest of us to self identify as African americans. (not that we need their permissions.) almost like they have an agenda. Like I said, I prefer black to aa, but to each his own. and, as you said, we don't need outsider input.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:32 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,951,328 times
She must have read some of my posts.

//www.city-data.com/forum/12110570-post5.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/14963805-post16.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/18505503-post67.html

I love her even more than I already did.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:34 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,793,991 times
Black
Black American
African American
American

I'm all four and neither at the same time.

Raven speaks for herself and no one else. I hope that's clear.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:38 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,793,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

She is correct - that's exactly what those labels do. They put you in a Box, and there you stay while manipulators toss that Box around, put it on a shelf, haul it out when it's time to vote or just ignore it at will. Point is -- you are in the Box and expected to stay there and do what you are told.
"American" is a label, is it not? Does it not put us all into a box?

Old 10-07-2014, 10:53 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
I agree with Raven. Just call me American. If Whites don't get automatically hyphenated when it comes to their identity then why should my identity be hyphenated?

I'm sure the LGBT community will be coming after her since you also said "she doesn't want to be labeled as gay".

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 10-07-2014 at 11:18 PM..

Old 10-07-2014, 11:02 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
The idea that we are divided into different races based on variances in our skin pigmentation is patently absurd. There is only one race, the human race.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:14 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
We do. The right-wing just gets too caught up in their own preconceived opinions of blacks to notice.

I am human, American-born, American citizen. My ethnic descent is some muddied fusion of African, Caucausion and Native American. To the outside world, I am Black / African-American.

I am human first.
American second.
Black is just an adjective to describe my physical characteristics based on skin pigmentation and genetic origin.
You see that from the left as well. They usually try to keep the Black community fragmented as if we can't do anything for ourselves. The left wing agenda always tries to rile up the Blacks to stay angry at White people to keep racial divisions going. When a White person kills a Black person, the liberal media machine always makes sure these are top stories and create a false image that every police officer is bad. While they almost never talk about Black-on-Black crime and what could be done to actually address a lot of the issues on the Black community. It pretty obvious that the Black community needs help but instead of trying to find actual solutions to the problems, the left only race baits, which does not help anybody.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The idea that we are divided into different races based on variances in our skin pigmentation is patently absurd. There is only one race, the human race.
Lol...yeah, right.

That's all nice and convenient for conversation's sake, but that ain't the reality. Not in America.

Old 10-07-2014, 11:36 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Lol...yeah, right.

That's all nice and convenient for conversation's sake, but that ain't the reality. Not in America.
Well, obviously there are a lot of people in this country who are committed to fanning the flames of racial conflict in order to sustain this vile form of contentiousness for their own personal purposes and personal gain. Those people are racists, one and all, regardless of their political leanings or their skin color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies