Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 09:30 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They aren't "celebrating" anything. They are hiding behind a title like "African-American"

My SE Asian immigrant neighbors don't refer to themselves as anything but Americans. But they work 12-16 hours a day so they don't have a lot of time for nonsense.
How do you know that?

Why are they hiding behind a title and what benefits are they granted by doing so?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:30 AM

25,850 posts, read 16,549,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What is a person without the things that make them that individual?

Anything you can say about a person would be a label.
I don't label people ever. If I have to DESCRIBE a person for a reason I might say a hispanic, a white, a black person and their age and sex. Those aren't labels. Those are points of reference.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; "American" means a citizen of the US.

Same thing for "Mexican", a person from that country and so on. Sheesh!

Uh; "Male" means a human who possesses a penis and produces sperm

Uh; "Heterosexual" means a human who is attracted to the opposite sex.

Sheesh!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It appears that many American citizens from Mexican heritage are still obsessed with Mexico also by calling themselves Mexican-Americans and proudly flying the Mexican flag. I don't see them being obsessed with Spain even though half their ancestors came from there. Hmm.
Many Italian and Irish Americans proudly display their country of origin's flag, often alongside Old Glory herself.

Nothing wrong with that!

Old 10-08-2014, 09:33 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times
Quote:
I don't label people ever. If I have to DESCRIBE a person for a reason I might say a hispanic, a white, a black person and their age and sex. Those aren't labels. Those are points of reference.
Agreed tho using "Hispanic" to describe a person has gotten me several times. Like as in that "Chicano" looking person was either light skin Black, Asian, American Indian or even a darker skin anglo white.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
LMAO

Arguing semantics much?

Labels, points of reference, whatever you want to call them they are ways to describe a person.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:44 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,691,260 times
Quote:
She doesn't want to be labeled anything. She just wants to be a person and respected for that.

I loved the way she made Oprah look so bad and really exposed her BS to people willing to see it.
When she kisses her partner in public everyone will say ," look at that American lover of humans" She is a wealthy child actress who lives in a vacuum and is used to everything that comes out of her mouth being cute. Her statement is no more idiotic than Shia Lebouf having a tooth removed and cutting his face to appear realistic in movie. She just attached African American and lesbian to her identity permanently.

She will one day realize that she is a black lesbian woman and the power in that is when people get to know her and they can't see the black or the lesbian person only then she will be some thing other than what people see. Shia will also find out in the real world he has a tooth missing and a permanent scar on his face.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:45 AM

25,850 posts, read 16,549,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
LMAO

Arguing semantics much?

Labels, points of reference, whatever you want to call them they are ways to describe a person.
No, your labels too often describe a social order, a victim class with different rules.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:06 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Never, nor do I need to..

I know several Asian Americans that call themselves exactly that, and very few of them have set foot in Asia.

If they can, we can. No...screw that...

In fact, we can call ourselves African Americans regardless of whether other groups use hyphens or not...And we're not taking suggestions from outsiders on the matter.

That answer your question?
Please don't say "we"

You can't speak for a group of people, you can only speak for yourself.

and i respect that you want to call yourself African American.
I prefer not to be labeled by my skin color because i don't find it important and it reminds me of the 1930s.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:09 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,517,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
She will one day realize that she is a black lesbian woman and the power in that is when people get to know her and they can't see the black or the lesbian person only then she will be some thing other than what people see. Shia will also find out in the real world he has a tooth missing and a permanent scar on his face.
When did she deny she is black and lesbian? she just doesn't like to be labeled as a person because of her skin color and sexual orientation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies