Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:35 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,907,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Wow Oprah, she is such a typical, militant liberal. Just look at how uncomfortable she feels with someone just being honest and open. You can see that she doesn't believe this woman has the right to believe differently and see things differently.

A very typical far left liberal. She would have made a good Nazi if they could find a uniform for her to fit into.
Oprah didn't disagree with Raven though! In fact Oprah agrees with Raven. She just wanted to warn Raven how people of color would drag her down for not following hive collective and groupthink.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:53 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
ROFLMAOO

LOL!

Old 10-14-2014, 01:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Quote:
People took what Raven said out of context
Oh like we always do.

The fact is we are all humans and maybe a little different here and there looks, sex, sexuality, etc. but we are all human beings. I applaud her for her comments.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:24 PM

29,608 posts, read 16,586,021 times
Quote:
Raven is worth only $55 million dollars
im pretty sure the comment was(mistakenly) in reference to how much her TV show on Disney Channel was making, which was around 400 million. She was Disney's first Hannah Montana.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:25 PM

52,692 posts, read 34,613,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Don't worry about it. You can't afford to buy any anyway.
typical. invite questions, then run from them, followed by an insult founded on knowledge you don't possess.

how much money do I have in my savings account and stock portfolio?

Old 10-14-2014, 01:31 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,303,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I have no idea what this young lady has been doing professionally since she played a cute little kid in the Cosby Show back in the 80's (which I watched) and a teenager starring in her own comedy (which I never saw) but she was recently interviewed by Oprah Winfrey.

1. She does not want to be labelled gay - she wants to be known as a lover of humans

2. She does not want to be labelled African American - she wants to be referred to as an American, and her roots are in Louisiana.

I don't give a lot of weight to what entertainers have to say about anything political, but many people do. A different perspective than what you often hear coming from personalities:

Raven Symone To Oprah: 'I'm Not African-American -- I'm American' - MTV
I'm all for people self identifying.

First point, the negro/black/african racial identity was not chosen by those who were labelled negroes, black, etc.

It was a racial identity that was forced on those people for hundreds of years through violence and discrimination, and hatred.

So, her personal choice is her personal choice as to her identity, America is going to see her and treat her as a black woman, and that's just that.

In terms of the gay label which I really take it to mean she doesn't want her sexuality to be the focus, I can understand.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
im pretty sure the comment was(mistakenly) in reference to how much her TV show on Disney Channel was making, which was around 400 million. She was Disney's first Hannah Montana.
No, Raven Symone grossed over $400 million plus more for Disney and other entities. She got a sizeable chunk or percentage of profits and ownership. Then after that she has taxes and legal fees and other costs and expenses. Hence why her net worth is only $55 million.

The $400 million net worth claim stemmed from a misinterpretation and flawed info given from an Ebony magazine highlight and dedicated cover story on Raven in 2009 and ever since then this "claim" has spread like wildfire

Old 10-14-2014, 03:29 PM

Raven-Symoné responds to critics: ‘I never said I wasn’t black’ | theGrio

Old 10-14-2014, 03:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
I'm all for people self identifying.

First point, the negro/black/african racial identity was not chosen by those who were labelled negroes, black, etc.

It was a racial identity that was forced on those people for hundreds of years through violence and discrimination, and hatred.

So, her personal choice is her personal choice as to her identity, America is going to see her and treat her as a black woman, and that's just that.

In terms of the gay label which I really take it to mean she doesn't want her sexuality to be the focus, I can understand.
But why do we have to use labels to self-identify? Anyone can basically do the work another human can (baring physical restrictions that both sexes can face.) That's the point of what she was saying. I don't look at as a racial thing, I look at it as cultural. She has African roots in her BUT she is American, born here, raised here, lives here. She is black, so what? She wasn't the first black/African-American actor leading a show, there were shows in the 60's with black/African-Americans being the main character (I forget the title but it existed), The Jeffersons, Sanford & Son, Good Times, the Cosby Show, In Living Color, black/African-Americans as a part of Saturday Night Live, Sister/Sister, Smart Guy, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, the Jamie Fox Show, the Steve Harvey Show, Living Single, Girlfriends and several others whom I can't recall that were all there before she had her own show. It's not like she broke ground with her show (maybe the fact it was a Disney Channel family/kid's show compared to TV-PG/TV-14.) She is an actor, period why does she need to self-identify to labels. We don't need to racialize, genderize or sexualize the issue. More people should be like her. It would make the world a lot more tolerant and less hostile.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:35 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,335,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But why do we have to use labels to self-identify? Anyone can basically do the work another human can (baring physical restrictions that both sexes can face.) That's the point of what she was saying. I don't look at as a racial thing, I look at it as cultural. She has African roots in her BUT she is American, born here, raised here, lives here. She is black, so what? She wasn't the first black/African-American actor leading a show, there were shows in the 60's with black/African-Americans being the main character (I forget the title but it existed), The Jeffersons, Sanford & Son, Good Times, the Cosby Show, In Living Color, black/African-Americans as a part of Saturday Night Live, Sister/Sister, Smart Guy, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, the Jamie Fox Show, the Steve Harvey Show, Living Single, Girlfriends and several others whom I can't recall that were all there before she had her own show. It's not like she broke ground with her show (maybe the fact it was a Disney Channel family/kid's show compared to TV-PG/TV-14.) She is an actor, period why does she need to self-identify to labels. We don't need to racialize, genderize or sexualize the issue. More people should be like her. It would make the world a lot more tolerant and less hostile.
Any thing you say about yourself is a label. What is wrong with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies