Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Basically, here is my point:

The GOP gets hammered for being anti-gay. And rightly so.

The Democrats get some sort of a pass because they've "evolved" on the issue. Yet as a group, they have made zero acknowledgement that at least SOME Democrats might have been involved, as recently as a decade ago, in the anti-gay marriage movement.

I want to call the attention that as a voting bloc, Dems are maybe like 10 years ahead of the GOP on gay marriage. That's it.

There are obviously people alive today whose marriage rights Democrats were responsible for violating. These Democrats (the majority of Democrats as recently as a decade ago) don't deserve a free pass despite that THEY changed their views. Just changing your views isn't an apology. Democrats need to take responsibility for their actions and recognize Democrats were apart of the problem up until very recently.

You say the GOP is insane and bigoted for being anti-gay marriage. At one time, as recently as 1996, the majority of Democrats voted for DADT and DOMA. Were they insane and bigoted too? Do you not see the hypocrisy in your actions? You should engage with anti-gay GOPers in a spirit of charity, rather than the "nanny nanny boo boo my side won" crap that's been coming out of the left.
They get a pass because they've evolved, along with the rest of the nation. The GOP could evolve, too, if they wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 02:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They get a pass because they've evolved, along with the rest of the nation. The GOP could evolve, too, if they wanted to.
Obama got a pass even when he was claiming to be against gay marriage. I guess people even knew back then he couldn't tell the truth.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:52 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The issue was a lot more personal for him, so no real surprise there.
Which in my mind is the worst excuse. It shows a complete lack of empathy for the plight, and rights, of others until it personally affects a person.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:53 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Originally Posted by steven_h
Libertarian here, and you're nothing more than hot air pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I agree, Lots and Lots of hot air, but I do believe we actually still disagree on who is generating it all.
Everyone, there's an infant in the room and he needs a nap.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:58 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Libertarian here, and you're nothing more than hot air pal

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Everyone, there's an infant in the room and he needs a nap.
You mean yourself, I presume?

Old 10-08-2014, 03:00 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Obama got a pass even when he was claiming to be against gay marriage. I guess people even knew back then he couldn't tell the truth.
I think you're mischaracterizing the situation. First of all, he'd be the first to say his views on gay marriage EVOLVED, along with the nation's. And he didn't get a pass, he simply was more favorable to people who were interested in the issue than the GOP candidate, given the fact that he was more sympathetic to gay rights than the GOP candidate. If your choice is between two evils, rational people choose the lesser evil.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Which in my mind is the worst excuse. It shows a complete lack of empathy for the plight, and rights, of others until it personally affects a person.
It's completely understandable. It's basic human nature.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think you're mischaracterizing the situation. First of all, he'd be the first to say his views on gay marriage EVOLVED, along with the nation's. And he didn't get a pass, he simply was more favorable to people who were interested in the issue than the GOP candidate, given the fact that he was more sympathetic to gay rights than the GOP candidate. If your choice is between two evils, rational people choose the lesser evil.
There are choices outside of (D) and (R).

Old 10-08-2014, 08:18 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Basically, here is my point:

The GOP gets hammered for being anti-gay. And rightly so.

The Democrats get some sort of a pass because they've "evolved" on the issue. Yet as a group, they have made zero acknowledgement that at least SOME Democrats might have been involved, as recently as a decade ago, in the anti-gay marriage movement.

I want to call the attention that as a voting bloc, Dems are maybe like 10 years ahead of the GOP on gay marriage. That's it.

There are obviously people alive today whose marriage rights Democrats were responsible for violating. These Democrats (the majority of Democrats as recently as a decade ago) don't deserve a free pass despite that THEY changed their views. Just changing your views isn't an apology. Democrats need to take responsibility for their actions and recognize Democrats were apart of the problem up until very recently.

You say the GOP is insane and bigoted for being anti-gay marriage. At one time, as recently as 1996, the majority of Democrats voted for DADT and DOMA. Were they insane and bigoted too? Do you not see the hypocrisy in your actions? You should engage with anti-gay GOPers in a spirit of charity, rather than the "nanny nanny boo boo my side won" crap that's been coming out of the left.
VT, let me tell you my story.

Back in 1996, I was in high school. I'm a guy. I knew I was interested in other guys. But I had learned that gays were weird and perverted, and didn't fit in with society. Most of them probably had AIDS. I could be nice to gay people, but I certainly couldn't be one. They were something to be avoided at all costs. I just figured that I'd take my small attraction to females, ignore any attraction to guys, and be straight. I'd marry a woman, have kids, all of that. Gay marriage seemed like a ridiculous perversion of societal norms to me and most others at the time.

This was reality in 1996. So 2004 isn't that far away from 1996, only eight years or so. By then, gay people weren't viewed quite as disgustingly and certainly people shouldn't be punished for it, but gay marriage was still an extremely controversial idea to most. It still violated societal norms, even if people were starting to recognize that gay people can and do form long-term stable relationships that should have some minor protections. I certainly wasn't in favor of gay marriage in 2004, although I didn't want an outright ban on any recognition of same-sex couples. Keep in mind I still was attracted to men, yet claimed to be "straight." Only in the past few years has momentum shifted.

Gay marriage isn't really about political party. It's about attitudes evolving over time based on changing perceptions of homosexuality. The average Democrat might have accepted gay marriage before the average Republican, but that doesn't mean that these positions are, were, or will be set in stone. It's kind of like the transgender bathroom issues of today - I don't think most people are in favor of it, but in ten years, things might be different.

I'm in favor of gay marriage now, once I realized my religious (fueled by self-loathing) reasons were silly. But it took me until about 2012 to accept this. It's the same for a lot of people.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:34 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
And what have Democrats done to apologize to gay people for infringing on their rights? Yes, blue states also passed outright constitutional bans on gay marriage as recently as 10 years ago. Have any Democrats apologized for that?
I don't see anything especially fierce about Democrats circa 2004 who did not support gay marriage--I think it was transparent opportunism. When has any politician apologized for opportunism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies