Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2014, 09:05 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well, I'm half and half on it (prefer not giving out visas to non-essential travel) but I also know that containment is an effective strategy and it was curious as to why our public health officials were suddenly trying to act as though it wasn't (seeing as their own literature you quoted here contradicted that stance). The decision to do nothing - initially - about non-essential travel to and from those affected regions was based on pure politics. Interestingly, they seemed to have somewhat reversed that decision now.

I think you're being a bit disingenuous to say that we can't put some control measures on who enters our borders. Can we do so for all people from Liberia? Of course not. But we can try and limit the number of non-essential travelers from that region. Seems prudent at a minimum. No, this should not be a one sized fit all solution. We should be limiting visas, continue screening, AND doing what we can to eradicate and control the outbreak there in Africa. It's in our best interest to do so. As to the 'secret' travelers. Hmm, a bit tougher coming from Africa but the problem exists even now if someone cannot get a visa, etc. Still do not see that as a reason to do nothing.
You present a reasonable combination of responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 09:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,910,690 times
Quote:
Well, I'm half and half on it (prefer not giving out visas to non-essential travel) but I also know that containment is an effective strategy and it was curious as to why our public health officials were suddenly trying to act as though it wasn't (seeing as their own literature you quoted here contradicted that stance). The decision to do nothing - initially - about non-essential travel to and from those affected regions was based on pure politics. Interestingly, they seemed to have somewhat reversed that decision now.

I think you're being a bit disingenuous to say that we can't put some control measures on who enters our borders. Can we do so for all people from Liberia? Of course not. But we can try and limit the number of non-essential travelers from that region. Seems prudent at a minimum. No, this should not be a one sized fit all solution. We should be limiting visas, continue screening, AND doing what we can to eradicate and control the outbreak there in Africa. It's in our best interest to do so. As to the 'secret' travelers. Hmm, a bit tougher coming from Africa but the problem exists even now if someone cannot get a visa, etc. Still do not see that as a reason to do nothing.
I think the decisions regarding travel to and from the affected countries is based on the FACT that less than 1% of the populations in the affected countries are infected. So 99%+ are uninfected. That's not PURE politics.

And I never said that we can't put some control measures on who enters our country. We already do. We can give greater scrutiny to visa applications, we can do health screenings, we can impose quarantines. But to issue a travel ban is to pander to the lowest IQ's. The arguments against travel bans are simply too numerous, and a travel ban gives a FALSE sense of security. A policy that is ineffective, and that actively does harm is a bad policy.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:29 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,283,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think the decisions regarding travel to and from the affected countries is based on the FACT that less than 1% of the populations in the affected countries are infected. So 99%+ are uninfected. That's not PURE politics.

And I never said that we can't put some control measures on who enters our country. We already do. We can give greater scrutiny to visa applications, we can do health screenings, we can impose quarantines. But to issue a travel ban is to pander to the lowest IQ's. The arguments against travel bans are simply too numerous, and a travel ban gives a FALSE sense of security. A policy that is ineffective, and that actively does harm is a bad policy.
So do you think that Rwanda screening US passengers for ebola is giving them a false sense of security?

Old 10-22-2014, 09:32 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,792,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
This just in; Two Passengers under observation at hospitals after falling ill during flights from Liberia to O'Hare.

2 under observation at hospitals after falling ill during flights from Liberia to O'Hare - Chicago Tribune
This happened yesterday. The inbound were on connecting flights as there are no flights from any of the affected countries to the US.

The multi-port screenings will likely turn up several at risk passengers, because nausea and diarrhea are rather common when traveling, especially international travel.

No telling if these were Liberian nationals, US citizens or others.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:33 AM

52,692 posts, read 34,607,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
According to your link, this 2 month old French product is being tested and the manufacturer is in the process of developing a portable test.

So , right now, it's not proven and not portable.

There are hundreds- thousands of web sites hawking government top secret vaccinations and cures. Supply is limited. Pay Pal accepted.
this isn't anything new and has nothing to do with a cure or vaccinations. fast detection for ebola has been around for at least nine years.

Rapid and simple detection of Ebola virus by... [J Virol Methods. 2007] - PubMed - NCBI

Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,036,636 times
Quote:

I'm generally a risk adverse person and would prefer our public health stance here in the US to be so as well. While I was a fan of Reagan, I was not a fan of his handling of AIDS, for instance. He waited until it became too difficult to contain to do anything at all with that issue and I would prefer that we not do the same with Ebola. Given the rate of mortality with this virus, I think being prudent in our handling of it is wise and it should include an all of the above response versus minimizing it based on the aforementioned statistics. After all, the rate of infection is, per WHO, going to increase dramatically and we should be proactive now instead of waiting until it does become an issue on our shores.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So do you think that Rwanda screening US passengers for ebola is giving them a false sense of security?
I think it's giving them a sense of tit-for-tat.

And the fact that countries CAN create problems for American travelers if they want to, and that doing so becomes a diplomatic issue, is one of things that policy-makers have to consider when formulating policies.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
I'm generally a risk adverse person and would prefer our public health stance here in the US to be so as well. While I was a fan of Reagan, I was not a fan of his handling of AIDS, for instance. He waited until it became too difficult to contain to do anything at all with that issue and I would prefer that we not do the same with Ebola. Given the rate of mortality with this virus, I think being prudent in our handling of it is wise and it should include an all of the above response versus minimizing it based on the aforementioned statistics. After all, the rate of infection is, per WHO, going to increase dramatically and we should be proactive now instead of waiting until it does become an issue on our shores.
Being proactive now would require us and the global community expending resources to deal with Ebola on the ground in the affected nations. WHO is warning that the infection will become more widespread and more difficult to address if we don't provide the affected countries with MORE resources to deal with the problem.

Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea are NOT able to effectively address this outbreak. They cannot deal with it without help. That's what WHO is warning us about, over and over and over again. It is myopic to approach this with a NIMBY attitude. It IS already a problem for the entire world.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:39 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,036,636 times
Quote:
Being proactive now would require us and the global community expending resources to deal with Ebola on the ground in the affected nations. WHO is warning that the infection will become more widespread and more difficult to address if we don't provide the affected countries with MORE resources to deal with the problem.

Liberia, Sierra Leone, Guinea are NOT able to effectively address this outbreak. They cannot deal with it without help. That's what WHO is warning us about, over and over and over again. It is myopic to approach this with a NIMBY attitude. It IS already a problem for the entire world.
I have said I'm an advocate for doing this as I think our inaction would have detrimental effects for our own citizens. Thus, I am not against putting resources towards eradicating this outbreak in those affected regions. I simply think it would be prudent to also limit visas as we work to both contain and manage the outbreak. A multi-faceted approach of both containment and treatment.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:42 AM

13,699 posts, read 9,024,338 times
Quote:

I agree. As has been stated before, 10,000 people in western African with Ebola is scary enough. Imagine 14 million such people (the total population for the three principal countries) in that region if it is not contained now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies