Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:27 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
I think you ruffled the fundie' jimmies with that last bit about Jesus.
No, he didn't. I'm just so amazed at the incredible ignorance. The fundamental stupidity!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
But I spit the truth though. I said nothing factually incorrect.
Really? Hardly anything you "spit" is accurate or the truth.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
As for my comments about Jesus, how am on misguided?

I'm right when I say that he never practiced Christianity...he practiced Judaism. He established no religion based on his own life. Paul did.
Christ didn't "practice" Judaism, even though he was a Jew. He abolished the sacrifices, and became the "perfect sacrifice" by sacrificing himself on the cross, dying "once for all."

Of course he didn't "practice" Christianity!! What he taught, and what he did, the reason he was sent, are the essence of Christianity.

But neither did he "practice" Judaism, as his purpose was to bring the "good news" of salvation by Faith. Judaism is salvation by "keeping the Law." But Christ came to fulfill the Law. He preached the "Good News" (gospel means "good news;" i.e. "The Gospel of Christ). The apostles were first called "Christians" at Antioch, and Christianity is on the basis of Christs teaching.

You obviously don't understand Christianity, don't know who Christ is, or why he was sent.

Quote:
And seeing as how his own people rejected him...going so far as to turn him over to the Romans as an imposter, why would I believe in him?
This was God's plan. The miracles he did were to show proof that he was who he said he was. Even Christ knew it was his purpose to go to the cross, and this he did willingly. To die "once for all," so that all who believe may have everlasting life. That is why he said, "It is finished" just before he died.

Quote:
His own people said that he was fraudulent....and ME, a black man, is gonna look to a white semite as my savior? He never even saved the Jews...and they're supposedly God's chosen people! Why would he save me?
Because he came to save all who would believe, black, white, Jew or Gentile.

Quote:
That's absurdity in its extreme.
No, it is a miracle. It is God's love for all.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:29 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
From a 2009 NYT story:

"And yet more than 3,500 Muslims have deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan, according to Defense Department figures provided to The Times. As of 2006, some 212 Muslim-American soldiers had been awarded Combat Action Ribbons for their service in Iraq and Afghanistan, and seven had been killed."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/09/us...anted=all&_r=0

I could not find a comprehensive source. Soldiers are not required to report their religion to the military, and the story has no details on how the DOD arrived at the numbers they provided to the NYT.

Edited to add - here's a news story from 2011 - Rep. King Releases Muslim American Military Statistics « Commentary Magazine
Thank you!

Old 10-23-2014, 01:53 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I love this woman. I'm glad how she contrasted Christian fundamentalism with Islamic fundamentalism. Western democracies put secular law in front of Christian theocratic principles. Where areas, Islamic countries implement theocratic principles and sometime endorse malicious fundamentalism. It's idiotic to compare political Evangelicalism with the Muslim Brotherhood.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali on Islam vs. Christianity - YouTube

Right now, God is shaking His head and wondering WTH???

Old 10-23-2014, 06:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I love this woman. I'm glad how she contrasted Christian fundamentalism with Islamic fundamentalism. Western democracies put secular law in front of Christian theocratic principles. Where areas, Islamic countries implement theocratic principles and sometime endorse malicious fundamentalism. It's idiotic to compare political Evangelicalism with the Muslim Brotherhood.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali on Islam vs. Christianity - YouTube
What a class act Ali is. Ann Coulter should take deportment lessons from her!

She nails it in the end. She says, "You grew up with freedom. You can spit on freedom because you've never lived without it. I have."

Nuff said.

By the way, that guy interviewing her is a jerk.

He's also Canadian. I wonder what his take is on the recent Islamic terrorist attacks in his country? I wonder if he's still busy defending Islamic beliefs?

Old 10-24-2014, 07:57 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00

I work at a university that withdrew her honorary degree. AHA proceeded to drum up her supporters by lying and saying she was due to speak. In fact, she wrote a very popular piece about what she would have said. It was news to us - she was supposed to just sit silently on stage with the rest of the honorary degree recipients. We have one commencement speaker among the honorary degree recipients and she was never one of them. She also lied and blamed CAIR, when in fact CAIR had absolutely nothing to do with the decision.

I am the person who fields all emails to the main contact form on our website (normally 5 minutes of my day), monitors social media, and also sits on the team that gets many of the phone calls. When we announced AHA was getting an honorary degree, there were a few dozen polite emails and tweets asking us to reconsider, but by the time a petition was circulated by our Muslim students, the decision had already been made to pull the degree. Nothing violent. Nothing scary.

When we withdrew the honorary degree, it became PTSD inducing. I had to read over 4,000 emails a day for a month to make sure there were no threats. There were at least 20 credible threats a day at the height and hundreds that I forwarded on to the police because they were just frightening enough. In my 4 years working at this university, we had never even gotten ONE threat through social media or the main email. All the other emails were generally offensive - often antisemitic and always Islamaphobic - or rude. It took up all of my time as well as our police chief's time. Because, you know, dealing with kooks who feel the need to threaten to plant a bomb and "wipe out you CAIR-capitulating, dhimmi *******s" is much more important than helping students with real issues. Many of these emails self-identified themselves as Christian, either by including scripture verses or by saying "As a Christian."

Your tax dollars went to work when federal agencies were investigating DEATH THREATS. Do you know what it's like to spend 80 hours a week reading through thousands of emails to parse out threats? Afraid to answer your phone because there will be a heavy voice on the other end threatening to burn your workplace down? I began getting emails directed to me personally, as well as very scary tweets to my personal account. To this day, I know when my institution is mentioned on Fox News because we get at least 100 emails - most are just rude and misinformed, but we're running about a 1:100 threat to email ratio. Because my office is near the president's office, we had to practice drills to evacuate. We wouldn't walk alone to the parking lot at the end of the day. Even though I work an offset schedule so I'm often the only person left in the building at the end of the day, I was told BY THE POLICE CHIEF to leave early because it was not safe to be alone. 8 years at this institution in varying capacities, and THIS is the only time I have ever felt unsafe.

I was probably the wrong person to be dealing with this because I am the victim of Christian terrorism from my childhood. I grew up facing a lot of violence for being Jewish in the 90s-early 2000s in rural Georgia. I also watched my Muslim friends deal with worse than *just* a cross burned on their lawn or rocks thrown through their windows, like what my family faced. While other people might see a bomb threat as just an empty threat (and most of them were), each and every one of them flashed me back to my childhood fearing for my life as the men in hoods came up the driveway or the police refused to address antisemitic threats stuffed in our mailbox.

Now, I don't doubt AHA experienced horror as a child and even today when she is the target of so much vitriol and hate by many people. But that doesn't excuse her behavior, her words, or her lies. Making up a speech that you were never invited to give is a pretty gosh darn big lie. She, of all people, should know that female genital mutilation is a tribal practice, practiced equally by Muslims, Christians, and native religious groups in the regions where it occurs. To blame Muslims for it exclusively detracts from her claims. In fact, one of the people most vocal at my institution against AHA's honorary degree was a victim of FGM in a CHRISTIAN COMMUNITY in Ethiopia. There is no justification of it in any religion, but, like all things, religion can be twisted by those in power. In this case, it is twisted to continue to subjugate women.

AHA treats Islam like one large homogeneous religion. Her statement "Islam must be crushed" and her follow up response saying that she meant all Islam, not just radical, completely undermines her other work. She is welcome to believe it, but that mindset is one that should not be honored with one of the highest recognitions a university has to give.

Was this the incident in question?
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/09/us...slam.html?_r=0

If so your characterization appears to be horribly biased. Your first post (#41) laid responsibility at her feet for all these threats. It sounds like the threats were not coming from her, otherwise she probably would have faced criminal charges. Don't blame her for what others did. We could just as easily blame those at the U who seemed to mishandle the whole affair but I wouldn't even do that. If a bomb threat or death threat is made, blame the person who makes the threat.

You accuse her of lying about the speaking engagement. What is the evidence of that? If you make the accusation, have the evidence to back it up. Are you sure it was not just a misunderstanding about whether she was to speak? Likewise the issue about the involvement of CAIR. The NYT piece reports that CAIR was involved. Again, if you accuse her of lying, be able to prove it. Note carefully that the definition of "lie" is not just making a statement that is untrue, but doing so with intent to deceive. Can you prove intent here?

Bottom line, you disagree with her view of Islam, then you feel the need to portray her as a horrible person. Bad move. I'm inclined to agree with her, but am open to being persuaded otherwise. I don't find character assassination to be persuasive.

Well poster never responded to my questions. It seems to me that if you're going to make accusations of lies and perhaps even worse, you should be willing to back them up when challenged. I guess it doesn't work that way in lib-land.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:13 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

Strange when Muslims convert to Christianity they turn to helping others, in the Name of God. When people convert to Islam they go out and kill others in the name of God........today in Canada!
If people take note of anything at all, they need to remember this.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:14 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Well poster never responded to my questions. It seems to me that if you're going to make accusations of lies and perhaps even worse, you should be willing to back them up when challenged. I guess it doesn't work that way in lib-land.
I was wondering the same thing.......guess we can only assume Ali was attacked on her faith and being out spoken against Islam. I find it interesting a University supported by Saudi Arabia and CAIR would feel violated when Americans express their discontent for this kind of University being conducted on our soil.

I read one article, if a person sends money to Brandeis University, one might as well write a check to Hamas!

Old 10-24-2014, 09:24 AM

31,061 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What a class act Ali is. Ann Coulter should take deportment lessons from her!

She nails it in the end. She says, "You grew up with freedom. You can spit on freedom because you've never lived without it. I have."

Nuff said.

By the way, that guy interviewing her is a jerk.

He's also Canadian. I wonder what his take is on the recent Islamic terrorist attacks in his country? I wonder if he's still busy defending Islamic beliefs?
Political correctness runs unabated at times of peace. Once you are under assualt the typical PC supporter will pick up a gun as quickly as anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies