Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:40 AM

156 posts, read 119,351 times

Advertisements

[MOD CUT/off topic]

The point I'm making is as follows: I've been a political liberal most of my adult life and primarily because I support Keynesian Economics. I truly believe that the federal government can and does does work to be a positive effecting force for everyone...assuming it doesn't hinder individual freedom...and despite what most right-wingers probably feel...it currently doesn't.

HOWEVER, Here is my quarrell. I was at a phonebank last night making calls for Chuck Hassebrook (Democrat for Governor here in Nebraska) and the more I listened to the conversation that the others with me were having...the more I realized that I can't stand other liberals. We all theoretically agree on the major issues....increased taxes on the highest earners, pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, pro alternative fuels, involved federal policies to alleviate poverty, single-payer healthcare, etc. etc. etc.

But GOD they are so whiny and SO sensitive. The overt, in-your-face political correctness astounds me. The remarkable OVER-sensitivity to anything that could be perceived as racial or offensive in any other capacity is so irritating. Quite possibly the most annoying demographic to me at this point in my life (I'm 27 years old) is a college aged, white, middle-upper income liberal. I don't know what it is....on a theoretical stand point I agree with them on most everything but GODDA*N they are so whiny and so annoying. I honestly can't stand to be around them. I don't know if it is the political correctness stuff or the general whining about everything or the insistence on correcting every wrong one blog post at a time...but for some reason they just get under my skin.

Am I the only liberal that feels this way or do others???

Last edited by Ibginnie; 10-16-2014 at 08:33 AM..

Old 10-16-2014, 07:45 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
They have Liberals in Nebraska?

Old 10-16-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
They have Liberals in Nebraska?
In Lincoln and Omaha. The eastern cities of NE are liberal to some degree...Lincoln being considerably more so than Omaha.

Aside from those cities though....not so much. Especially not west of Grand Island. Fortunately, no population is out that way.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:57 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
In Lincoln and Omaha.

Aside from that, not so much.
I would have thought most Democrats in NE would be fairly conservative tbh . I don't care for most political people tbh, because they tend to be to rigid in their ideologies.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
People on the extreme ends of the spectrum definitely can be annoying, but that's pretty much true for everything.

That said, I don't find most liberals to be overly whiny. Must be a Nebraska thing.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
People on the extreme ends of the spectrum definitely can be annoying, but that's pretty much true for everything.

That said, I don't find most liberals to be overly whiny. Must be a Nebraska thing.
I'm beginning to think it's just a college kid thing. At these phone banks are where it really hits me and they seem to be the largest demographic there.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:47 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,522,129 times
I was a liberal until I was in my early 20's, then I grew up and realized liberal philosophy and behavior is a childish thing. Intelligent adults are not liberals. Time for you to wake up, OP.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
I was a liberal until I was in my early 20's, then I grew up and realized liberal philosophy and behavior is a childish thing. Intelligent adults are not liberals. Time for you to wake up, OP.
I don't understand how liberal philosophy is a childish thing? I'm not sure I understand what liberal behavior is either. If by liberal philosophy, you mean a philosophy that advocates a level playing field and realistic expectations...then yeah...I'm for that.

The behavior thing I don't get.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:57 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,547 times
I live in Lincoln and I can confirm there are plenty of Liberals here. Its a college town, so naturally its going to be more Liberal, as college kids and members of academia are far more Liberal than the general public.

Both sides have annoying and whiny adherents, but I do tend to see far more annoying traits in Liberals who take offense and see victimization in everything, regardless if the accusations have any merit or not. Even after getting their way, they still find a mountain of things to complain about. The Hobby Lobby case is a perfect example, where Libs blew a gasket because Hobby Lobby didn't want to pay for insurance that covered four methods of contraceptives the company considered to be abortifacients, even though they still offered 16 other types. I think that was a pretty solid compromise, but many Libs didn't want to compromise; anything other than 100% of what they want isn't good enough.

If anyone has the right to be whiny, its Conservatives who see their rights and values continually being picked away at.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:58 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
[MOD CUT/off topic]

The point I'm making is as follows: I've been a political liberal most of my adult life and primarily because I support Keynesian Economics. I truly believe that the federal government can and does does work to be a positive effecting force for everyone...assuming it doesn't hinder individual freedom...and despite what most right-wingers probably feel...it currently doesn't.

HOWEVER, Here is my quarrell. I was at a phonebank last night making calls for Chuck Hassebrook (Democrat for Governor here in Nebraska) and the more I listened to the conversation that the others with me were having...the more I realized that I can't stand other liberals. We all theoretically agree on the major issues....increased taxes on the highest earners, pro-gay marriage, pro-choice, pro alternative fuels, involved federal policies to alleviate poverty, single-payer healthcare, etc. etc. etc.

But GOD they are so whiny and SO sensitive. The overt, in-your-face political correctness astounds me. The remarkable OVER-sensitivity to anything that could be perceived as racial or offensive in any other capacity is so irritating. Quite possibly the most annoying demographic to me at this point in my life (I'm 27 years old) is a college aged, white, middle-upper income liberal. I don't know what it is....on a theoretical stand point I agree with them on most everything but GODDA*N they are so whiny and so annoying. I honestly can't stand to be around them. I don't know if it is the political correctness stuff or the general whining about everything or the insistence on correcting every wrong one blog post at a time...but for some reason they just get under my skin.

Am I the only liberal that feels this way or do others???
If you're getting that in Nebraska for the sake of your sanity I implore you to not ever go to Portland, Oregon. You shouldn't say that you hate other liberals, but rather that you can't stand the sanctimonious, detached from reality attitude that can be pervasive in when the more out-there liberal types are more than a tiny minority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies