Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 01:40 PM

5,739 posts, read 3,272,981 times

Advertisements

and I do not know why liberals call themselves such.
Nothing liberal about blocking free speech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
This study is proving what I already knew.

I do not defriend people over politics. I'm not on facebook all that much. When I do post, it's usually about sports or pictures. I avoid posting about politics, although I did share this story when I saw it.

I have had at least three people on facebook block me, however. The reason is that although I don't put political items in my newsfeed, I generally will comment on propaganda that friends post which appears in my newsfeed.

Because I don't let people get away with posting liberal propaganda unchallenged, several of the main propaganda pushers have blocked or defriended me.

It's almost as if many liberals don't believe anyone is entitled to an opinion other than theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 01:40 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,446,613 times
i quickly found out who the democrats were in our group when I offered out some extra Hobby Lobby coupons I had. The comments about not shopping there and not being told what to do with "our" bodies said it all. Hilarious really as the women in question are all over 60.
Anyhoo as it happens we are now one member short, she decided she couldn't hang out with us anymore (probably scared I'd offer more coupons)

Old 10-21-2014, 01:45 PM

90,295 posts, read 121,154,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
I've stopped following some people on social media because I don't want their right wing bigotry and hate rantings in my stream.

On the personal friendship side the findings were: "consistent liberals are more likely to stop talking to someone because of politics. Roughly a quarter (24%) have done so, compared with 16% of consistent conservatives and around 10% of those with more mixed political views."
That's only 24% vs 16% in the sample. Not a big difference in behavior.
Actually, it says that liberals are 50% more likely than a con to defriend someone, and ~140% more likely to do so than one with mixed political views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yep, this is true.

Most liberals have no desire to be friends with racists, homophobes, sexists, super fanatical religious types, or super fanatical gun nuts.

This doesn't describe all or even most conservatives... but the extremists listed above usually hold conservative views.

Yes, I have an intolerance for intolerance.
I have plenty of conservative friends who are not the above. Why would someone like that "friend" someone like you in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not big into Facebook, but I can tell you that although I have many friends from both sides of the isle (mostly conservative), it is only the conservative ones who flood Facebook with political spam and propaganda. I have not defriended anyone for it, but it is quite annoying. When "W" was in the WH I do remember the liberal ones post anti-Bush cartoons and such humor, but no propaganda.
IME, it's not only the conservatives, but it certainly is the conservatives by a big majority. You can block posts from certain sites, which I do when some of my more radical con friends "share" crap from these sites.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:47 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,422,935 times
I don't do facebook, but in real life I have been able to get along fine with liberals despite being an ultraconservative. Keeping a sense of humor and above all a sense of integrity is key. I am a union member and even hold a low level elected position in my union, so I know and am friends with plenty of libs.

My biggest problems have been with libertarians, who ironically I probably agree with 97% of the time. In my experience, if you don't agree 100%, your name is Mud, and you might as well be a child molester.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:55 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,612,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
and I do not know why liberals call themselves such.
Nothing liberal about blocking free speech
You have free speech. The person also has free speech to block it. Your free speech hasn't been violated in any way.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:57 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,612,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
My Aunt, who is in her 60s, lesbian and extremely liberal blocked me over a year ago.
Not heard from her since. No Christmas cards, nothing. Not even a hello to my 7 year old daughter.
I really believe people who are liberal tend to be very immature from my experience.
That's funny because I have seen many posts from people who eventually got so tired of their family members posting & sending them crap that in the end they decided to block them. Things such as calling liberals "*******s", telling people they're going to hell for their beliefs, things of that nature. I am sure if that was coming up on your wall on a consistent basis from your family or friends, you'd get tired of it as well & end up blocking them. Tell me, how is that immature? Think about that for a moment.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:59 PM

76,966 posts, read 47,841,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
IME, it's not only the conservatives, but it certainly is the conservatives by a big majority. You can block posts from certain sites, which I do when some of my more radical con friends "share" crap from these sites.
I haven't blocked anyone, or anything, except ads. It does not bother me, although it amazes me what some adult people believe and share in social media without doing any fact checking. I made the mistake of mixing co-workers, personal friends, and school buddies etc in FB, so I do not bother writing much anything there.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:59 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,197,049 times
I would never give up a true friend because of a difference in political beliefs, but I have stopped speaking to a friend who made incredibly racist comments when Obama was elected. I do not want to be around someone who says the kids of things she said. Otherwise, I am usually very tolerant and tend to avoid political debates in my real life.

My extremely conservative father has, however, succeeded in ruining family dinners, pushed away perfectly reasonable people, and offended countless others with his vitriol. Sadly, he is no longer welcome at some social occasions because he does not just give his opinions, he makes sure that people who disagree feel like they are not even worthy of his time.

I find extremists on both sides to be very difficult to be around.

Old 10-21-2014, 02:01 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,624,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I have plenty of conservative friends who are not the above. Why would someone like that "friend" someone like you in the first place?
We were just talking about this at work. It's not uncommon to "friend" an acquaintance from real life who seems normal, and then discover their Facebook wall is a solid mess of hate speech and tasteless humor (which you're now publicly associated with via social media).

Old 10-21-2014, 02:04 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,991,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
We were just talking about this at work. It's not uncommon to "friend" an acquaintance from real life who seems normal, and then discover their Facebook wall is a solid mess of hate speech and tasteless humor (which you're now publicly associated with via social media).
I've done this with quite a few acquaintances who love filling up their newsfeeds with agitprop from their union, the DNC, dailykos, pick your liberal group.

C-D liberals act like conservatives have a monopoly on outrageous online conduct. When in fact the opposite is true, as the study in the OP demonstrates.

I also think that the amount of actual "hate speech and tasteless humor" is far less than the libs are crying about, and not exclusively from conservatives as they repeat over and over again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies