Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 07:59 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,551,028 times

Advertisements

Probably asked here, but it's an interesting thought to ponder. How would the world change if we didn't need fossil fuel? The geo-political conflicts, wealth of countries and individuals, etc. Specifically say we had some other brand new form of energy that rendered oil obsolete. My first thought is that the entire middle east, brasil, nigeria, etc. would be abandoned by the west in terms of oil consumption. They literally would revert back into the stone ages. Would we even need to be "friends" with Saudi Arabia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 08:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,696,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
Probably asked here, but it's an interesting thought to ponder. How would the world change if we didn't need fossil fuel? The geo-political conflicts, wealth of countries and individuals, etc. Specifically say we had some other brand new form of energy that rendered oil obsolete. My first thought is that the entire middle east, brasil, nigeria, etc. would be abandoned by the west in terms of oil consumption. They literally would revert back into the stone ages. Would we even need to be "friends" with Saudi Arabia.

The new energy source would be taxed and regulated to give government the upper hand.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:10 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,551,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The new energy source would be taxed and regulated to give government the upper hand.

I'm sure of it. It also occured that if "big oil" were some how not on the band wagon their business models would collapse.

I've always believed advancements in alternate energy sources was intentionally held back because of the above.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:38 AM

389 posts, read 617,497 times
US dollar would collapse, as it's currently backed by oil. Without a need to protect oil companies in unsafe regimes (keeping the dollar alive), the US military would also collapse. I'm not too worried, save for a big breakthrough. Mineral extraction is always cheaper and less energy intensive than manufactured synthetic products.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:45 AM

23,589 posts, read 17,266,039 times
Quote:
Well the US goverment would collapse.

Its life blood is based on taxes from the oil industry.

Theory is someting else as it ignores reality.

Of course if a sound economical transition is made to a new technolgy anything would work. Un fortunately activists/feds ignore reality and cause economic damage to forward their ideology.

The question isn't if you support an alternative, of course most people do, its just that you become the enemy if your time schedule lags behind the activists time schedule.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,815,933 times
Quote:
Are you implying that it is the 'Royal WE' that would have non-fossil electricity but the ME would not?

The ME people who control the fossils would - in the ME - control the source of other fuels. There would still be the rich and the poor. Just no boiled fossils for ISIS to put into the captured allied equipment.

There would still be guns, hate, and dead people. None of the religions we enjoy today are based on fossil fuels. However, much of their influence is spread by the use of fossil fuels, excepting Mormon. That religion is spread by boys on bicycles.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:01 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,538,625 times
Where would some medicines come from? Many ladies would have to find new brands of cosmetics. What would I use to brush my teeth with, Baking Soda? Yeach. Would I have to go barefoot? I don't think the world wants to see my craggly feet any time soon.

Would we still be friends with Canada, Mexico, Venezuela and Columbia since we export so much oil from them?

And in other news how is it possible that, in the Great War for Oil, we are importing less oil from Iraq than before the war?

Where The US Got Its Oil From in 2013

Old 11-04-2014, 09:08 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,483,189 times
Take the Tesla example. A car that runs on electricity without the complexity of an internal combustion engine. Car dealers are upset because Tesla is bypassing the car dealer/middle man and Teslas don't need as many repairs which takes away the dealer's bread and butter service revenue.

Much of the opposition to green energy comes from fossil fuel lobbyists. Green energy shifts power and shifts jobs - it also has net effect of destroying jobs. We no longer need the infastructure to mine, move and distribute oil, or maintain equipment that uses it. It's inevitable like demise of TV repair shops.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:15 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,538,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
1. Teslas don't need as many repairs which takes away the dealer's bread and butter service revenue.

2. Much of the opposition to green energy comes from fossil fuel lobbyists. Green energy shifts power and shifts jobs - it also has net effect of destroying jobs. We no longer need the infastructure to mine, move and distribute oil, or maintain equipment that uses it. It's inevitable like demise of TV repair shops.
1. Nope. See here; Consumer Reports' Tesla Model S has more than its share of problems.

2. What about the hundreds of other uses for petroleum products? What does Green Energy plan to do about those products?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:27 AM

389 posts, read 617,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
And in other news how is it possible that, in the Great War for Oil, we are importing less oil from Iraq than before the war?
Europe still gets a lot of oil from the middle east, purchased in US dollars. Russia is the worlds largest energy exporter, and want to mess with the US Dollar by selling oil in Euros to Europe and in Yuan to China. How ever will we respond to this display of un-patriotism to the US!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies