Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 04:46 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,887 times

Advertisements

That'd be stupid to change the definition of a well known term because conservatives don't like it. I'm sure people will give as much credence to this as the Teabagger's demand that people stop referring to gay people as "gay"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 09:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
That'd be stupid to change the definition of a well known term because conservatives don't like it. I'm sure people will give as much credence to this as the Teabagger's demand that people stop referring to gay people as "gay"
LOL. Sure we would not want to correct a wrong definition, and restore a term to the meaning intended by the author who coined it. Much better to retain the incorrect definition that liberals prefer....not.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:43 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
The Baggers are the new Sheriff in town for the PC Police it seems

Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
LOL. Sure we would not want to correct a wrong definition, and restore a term to the meaning intended by the author who coined it. Much better to retain the incorrect definition that liberals prefer....not.
How are you "correcting" anything? You're trying to change a phrase's definition to something that suits your political agenda. A definition is just what a community considers a word to mean. You can try to change the word "God" to mean "Rush Limbaugh" but most people aren't going to want to change a phrase's meaning for no reason. Best of luck with your deluded mission, maybe make a popular movie that changes the word in people's minds instead of petulantly complaining everyone but yourself is wrong.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:14 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
Quote:

"Libs and Democrats, please stop misusing his name."

Ok.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:25 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Sentence #1 and #2 seem to be in contradiction. The term 'Uncle Tom' obviously came from the book by Harriet Beecher Stowe. AFAIK she did not copy the name from a previous source. The attempts to portray Tom (keep in mind he was a fictional character) as something else came from a) people who never read the book; b) people who read it but did not comprehend it c) people who read, comprehended, and decided to deliberately misrepresent it.

This is yet another example of your brain on liberalism. You take a heroic fictional character and drag his name through the mud, making him forever a symbol of something that he was so much against that he gave his life.
That is exactly how I read that book, and I've never understood, since reading that book some years ago, why people use "Uncle Tom" as an insult to blacks who don't "act the right way".

Old 11-13-2014, 12:37 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,975 times
I've always been surprised that the anti-political correctness crowd gets so upset when black conservatives get name-called with epithets like "Uncle Tom".

I guess white conservatives must think of black conservatives as being part of a "protected class" who aren't allowed to fight their own battles.

Old 11-13-2014, 01:48 PM

779 posts, read 632,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That is exactly how I read that book, and I've never understood, since reading that book some years ago, why people use "Uncle Tom" as an insult to blacks who don't "act the right way".

Someone gave a clear explanation as to why earlier. Another one is this

" Minstrel show retellings in particular, usually performed by white men in blackface, tended to be derisive and pro-slavery, transforming Uncle Tom from Christian martyr to a fool or an apologist for slavery"

Old 11-13-2014, 02:14 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I've always been surprised that the anti-political correctness crowd gets so upset when black conservatives get name-called with epithets like "Uncle Tom".

I guess white conservatives must think of black conservatives as being part of a "protected class" who aren't allowed to fight their own battles.
People can fight their own battles, it doesn't mean I don't think people who use the term, "Uncle Tom" to put down another black are not absolute twits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
Someone gave a clear explanation as to why earlier. Another one is this

" Minstrel show retellings in particular, usually performed by white men in blackface, tended to be derisive and pro-slavery, transforming Uncle Tom from Christian martyr to a fool or an apologist for slavery"
So, instead of focusing on a great book with a wonderful character, they want to focus on some minstrel show's rendition of Uncle Tom? That's about the dumbest thing I've heard. (Not saying you, saying those who use that as their excuse.)

Old 11-14-2014, 12:34 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
"Gay" (then) = happy
"Gay" (now) = homosexual... and sometimes used to describe something dumb or unlikable.

"Lame" (then) = A feeble person/animal or limp body part, mostly due to an injury or sickness
"Lame" (now) = Boring, not cool or a boring, uncool person

"Uncle Tom" (then) = Literary hero of a novel
"Uncle Tom" (now) = a black sellout, self-hating black person who typically holds whites in unreasonably high favor

Words and phrases change meaning ALL THE TIME. Uncle Tom is no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies