Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

After 30 years, "People Greeters" will no longer welcome Walmart customers with a "cart and a smile." Four months after Walmart got rid of its night-shift "People Greeters," the big-box retailer is moving its day-shift greeters inside the store. Walmart claims it's all in the name of better customer service, but the announcement has left some greeters uncertain about the future of their jobs.

Walmart Greeters Will No Longer Greet At The Door - Careers Articles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:59 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Good I want to smack some of those pushy old people trying to check my receipt.

They could go work for TSA if they get fired.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Good I want to smack some of those pushy old people trying to check my receipt.

They could go work for TSA if they get fired.
Just as long as TSA doesn't become the new Wal-Mart greeters.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:58 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Its been done to avoid the violent encounters the greeters have had with shoplifters trying to exit the store or with the jerks who go ape $%^& when asked to simply show a receipt for items they have.
Basically it comes down to lawsuits and Wal Mart is so afraid of legal costs that they're willing to gamble that reduced legal fees will offset the increase in stolen merchandise. Give it a year or two at most and the greeters will be back. Wal Mart changes policy and their operational method to something new, realizes it usually doesn't work, and then goes back to the old system.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
I can't really remember the last time a greeter actually said hi to me when I walked in the store.

Wal-Mart isn't the business it used to be. They lost their southern roots.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:05 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
After 30 years, "People Greeters" will no longer welcome Walmart customers with a "cart and a smile." Four months after Walmart got rid of its night-shift "People Greeters," the big-box retailer is moving its day-shift greeters inside the store.
Good move by Walmart. A useless job if I have ever seen one. I don't need to be "greeted". They can eliminate those positions and put the savings against the items in the store to reduce the prices even further. Another thing they should eliminate in the long run are the cashiers. If people could self checkout, then that would save a lot of money. Shoplifting can be combated by efficient use of technology. Using people to do this is more error prone and ineffective. This is a win-win for the business and its customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Its been done to avoid the violent encounters the greeters have had with shoplifters trying to exit the store or with the jerks who go ape $%^& when asked to simply show a receipt for items they have.
Basically it comes down to lawsuits and Wal Mart is so afraid of legal costs that they're willing to gamble that reduced legal fees will offset the increase in stolen merchandise.
Proof?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,170,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
After 30 years, "People Greeters" will no longer welcome Walmart customers with a "cart and a smile." Four months after Walmart got rid of its night-shift "People Greeters," the big-box retailer is moving its day-shift greeters inside the store. Walmart claims it's all in the name of better customer service, but the announcement has left some greeters uncertain about the future of their jobs.

Walmart Greeters Will No Longer Greet At The Door - Careers Articles
Pity. I rather liked the idea of giving those old folks jobs as greeters.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Good move by Walmart. A useless job if I have ever seen one. I don't need to be "greeted". They can eliminate those positions and put the savings against the items in the store to reduce the prices even further. Another thing they should eliminate in the long run are the cashiers. If people could self checkout, then that would save a lot of money. Shoplifting can be combated by efficient use of technology. Using people to do this is more error prone and ineffective. This is a win-win for the business and its customers.
Yeah that'd be a great move....lay off thousands of people for machines. I live in FL and the elderly people here do not like those machines. Plus they're expensive to get and expensive to maintain. I worked at Home Depot when they first came out.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:20 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
" If people could self checkout, then that would save a lot of money"

That is coming via RFID, and when it does, millions of cashiers nationwide will see their headcount shrunk to the same extent bank tellers were reduced 20 years ago. To put some context into it, Hartford Courant published jobs in state by population, with 3+ million people, CT had 52,000 cashiers last year. So nationally, most likely we have 5 million. RFID is likely to change that to 1-2 million monitoring self-checkout lines, and running a smattering of registers for the handicapped.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:20 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Unless you happen to be a Walmart greeter, who cares if Walmart has greeters?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies