Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you honestly think you'll change someone's mind with a post or response?
Yes 4 18.18%
No 15 68.18%
I'm a partisan hack who gets jollies from trolling 3 13.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:21 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times

Advertisements

Do you honestly think your posts here will change anyone's mind?

Do you think your posts or rants or insights will change anyone's mind? Or are you just here to tick people off?

MODS...I think this is a legit question based on the spew I've seen here especially in the past 2 weeks.

I see such anger here. Such hateful responses. This is no way to make a point. I get that some people are here to hit and run. We can all name at least one poster who does (both sides, I've seen them). But for the rest, do you really believe you can change someone's opinion or are you here to voice your own opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:22 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
I don't at all. But, it's fun to waste time sometimes

Old 10-30-2014, 11:23 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
That was FAST!

Old 10-30-2014, 11:57 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
No. So why do I do it?

I don't watch TV, I don't listen to the radio, I get most news from lists I subscribe to, which of course reflect my own interests. I think it is a good thing to make sure I get exposed to people whose interests and concerns are different than mine, and I think c-d provides that.

I also really like arguing my views with people I don't have to share a dinner table and bathroom with.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:27 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No. So why do I do it?

I don't watch TV, I don't listen to the radio, I get most news from lists I subscribe to, which of course reflect my own interests. I think it is a good thing to make sure I get exposed to people whose interests and concerns are different than mine, and I think c-d provides that.

I also really like arguing my views with people I don't have to share a dinner table and bathroom with.
Same here. I don't talk politics with anyone I have eye contact with.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:30 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
It's rare, but it's possible for those with an open mind. This forum has helped shape a lot of my opinions both politically and religiously. Every once in awhile someone posts something that's actually worth taking the time to read, and that might cause you to look at something from a perspective that you hadn't considered before, and probably otherwise wouldn't have. Discussing issues with people who have opposing views will also force you to scrutinize your own convictions, and either reinforce them, or abandon them entirely.

I always say that I don't post for the people I'm replying to, it's too late for them, I post for the lurkers. The people who don't really care enough about a specific subject to engage, but are curious as to how someone might go about defending a certain position or viewpoint. That's where the money's at. Those are the minds that are open and subject to change. They represent the middle ground.

Old 10-31-2014, 12:32 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Stranger things have happened.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:52 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Do you honestly think your posts here will change anyone's mind?

Do you think your posts or rants or insights will change anyone's mind? Or are you just here to tick people off?

MODS...I think this is a legit question based on the spew I've seen here especially in the past 2 weeks.

I see such anger here. Such hateful responses. This is no way to make a point. I get that some people are here to hit and run. We can all name at least one poster who does (both sides, I've seen them). But for the rest, do you really believe you can change someone's opinion or are you here to voice your own opinion?
Your post wont change my mind. It's always about policy.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:57 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Not just "no", but HELL NO!!
Most of the posters on here have such locked-down partisan minds that NOTHING can ever change the way they think.
There are, of course, issues where I feel the same way. Such as "obama is an empty suit sitting on an empty chair".
Firearms issues are another one. "THEY" are convinced that passing another law will solve all the problems. It won't, of course, but "THEY" are convinced.
and on and on it goes...

Old 10-31-2014, 07:03 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
I don't think a post will change some one's view. As for me once in a blue moon someone will post something that gives me pause and I will research the subject a bit more deeply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies