Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which of the following describes you:
I'm liberal, I believe the law of demand generally holds. 5 13.51%
I'm liberal, the law of demand holds with regard to tobacco taxes, but not with regard to the minimum wage. 0 0%
conservative, believe that the law of demand generally holds. 16 43.24%
None of the above. 16 43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 05:52 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times

Advertisements

Its really pretty simple. I'll try to formulize this.

Degree in the soft disciplines*Eggroll Envy=Wrong Conclusions*Misguided Programs/Ruling Complex=The Last Six Years
Feeling VS Thinking

Oh, and one more thing. Lowes customer service robots. When labor costs reach a certain point; the point at which the cost of labor is more than the value the labor produces, the labor is subject to replacement by less expensive automation. Even simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This couldn't be more clear, and I can't understand why liberals (the Occupiers) who demand an increase in the minimum wage are not smart enough to figure this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 06:26 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
One of the hallmark characteristics of right-wing perspective is the dumbing down of all issues to insulate themselves from having to deal with the truth that reality is not as clear-cut and as simplistic as their avaricious and self-centered attitudes would wish them to be. For that reason, right-wingers are seemingly incapable of understanding how something they look at with their tunnel-vision fully engaged, i.e., the reality of supply and demand, must be viewed as one of many facets of the situation for which they're attempting to pretend to be intelligent and proactive. They work hard to dodge the fact that these different aspects, especially aspects that are higher in priority than petty concerns such as money, such as human decency and the responsibility of a society to its most vulnerable members, that ruin their egoistic narrative. This is why, incidentally, right-wing perspective favors regressive policy so much. It is a reflection of how that perspective favors the more puerile nature, barbarism, callous disregard for others, self-centeredness, and why it cannot abide the trappings of civilization, such as society, government, the general welfare, etc.
"to insulate themselves from having to deal with the truth that reality is not as clear-cut and as simplistic as their avaricious and self-centered attitudes would wish them to be"

Coming from you , this is Hilarius because it describe you and other liberal to a T.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:48 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
OK that is not a bad point. I have always said that CEO's (and senior execs in general) abuse the democracy-based system of publicly traded companies (every stockholder has a vote) to vacuum money into their pockets, much as US congress critters do. They use and abuse the low-info voter; it's all a rigged game.

But how does this relate to the tobacco tax or the low wage worker? Both face a downward sloping demand curve for what they sell. If someone if Washington DC boosts the price, the quantity demanded by the market goes down.

11 pages, and no one has explained to me why libs excitedly embrace the idea of a downward-sloping demand curve in the case of tobacco taxes, but reject it in the case of the minimum wage.
Reposting my earlier reply.

Now draw a demand line parallel and to the right of the original demand line. This new demand line represents the demand for labor which is the result of increased consumption driven by labors increased wages.

Yes I believe in supply and demand, but economic models, although built on simple concepts, are way more complex than can be covered in a 2 minute video.

Old 11-01-2014, 06:50 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
This couldn't be more clear, and I can't understand why liberals (the Occupiers) who demand an increase in the minimum wage are not smart enough to figure this out.
It doesn't represent the totality of what happens when the minimum wage is increased.

Old 11-01-2014, 07:53 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The thing about Mr. Run On sentence is his handlers send him email with snippets of info. He cuts and pastes them into a response.
Having dealt with him in a thread where he TRIED to debate, it quickly became apparent, he has no thought-through ideas or arguments. They're just bomb-throwing ad hominem attacks, bascially accusing anyone who disagrees of being "selfish", "self centered", "egoistic" or other character assassination type accusations.

His argument is always the same - "you are defective for not being elite like me".

You can engage him, if you wish, but you will NEVER get any reasoned argument from him.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:15 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
OK that is not a bad point. I have always said that CEO's (and senior execs in general) abuse the democracy-based system of publicly traded companies (every stockholder has a vote) to vacuum money into their pockets, much as US congress critters do. They use and abuse the low-info voter; it's all a rigged game.

But how does this relate to the tobacco tax or the low wage worker? Both face a downward sloping demand curve for what they sell. If someone if Washington DC boosts the price, the quantity demanded by the market goes down.

11 pages, and no one has explained to me why libs excitedly embrace the idea of a downward-sloping demand curve in the case of tobacco taxes, but reject it in the case of the minimum wage.
Ok, consider a more general case: cap all salaries of high paying jobs at $300k/year, then we'll have tons more high-paying jobs. According to your proposed demand curve, would this work?

Old 11-01-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
Ok, consider a more general case: cap all salaries of high paying jobs at $300k/year, then we'll have tons more high-paying jobs. According to your proposed demand curve, would this work?
Define "high paying jobs".

BTW, once you "cap" the price of something, its supply decreases.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Because they believe that laws of supply and demand are countermanded by wishing on unicorns and rainbows.

Old 11-01-2014, 09:34 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,773,129 times
As a Democrat and supporter of capitalism, of course I accept the law of supply and demand. That is why cutting programs that reduce the purchasing and spending power of the poor and middle class is a dumb idea. That is why raising the minimum wage is a good idea. That is why having a progressive tax system that taxes the wealthy more to pay for infrastructure, social welfare programs, public education, and public investments in general is a good idea and supports the economy. Why is that so hard for right-wing conservatives to understand?

Old 11-01-2014, 09:37 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,602,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Define "high paying jobs".

BTW, once you "cap" the price of something, its supply decreases.
Nobody would be willing to take a job making $300k/yr?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies