Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 07:27 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I'll think I'll take the cover of the 6mpg V-10 tomorrow and take it for a spin just for the OP.
Maybe I'll start the RV and let it idle. I love the smell of diesel in the morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 08:23 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Don't worry, California and parts of nj are going to start taxing people for grocery bags. That will save the planet for sure. Once "progressives" win the war against families, children and the middle class the human population will drop.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:27 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Forgive me, but...................

...........................what kind of cars are V-8's these days? I don't think I've driven a V8 since 1994.

Well......I have a V8 Lexus and a V8 Mercedes in the garage.

And there are dozens of other models. Hell, even VW had a V10 and V12 recently(extra credit if you can figure out what model it's in without Googling it).

Old 11-02-2014, 08:30 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, there's no ambiguity.

The climate change you believe in does not exist, and that is fact. No ambiguity at all.
There has been no global warming in almost 2 decades and the small amount of warming seen in the late 20th century looked like it might correlate with c02, but that theory was blown up when c02 increased with decreased warming. So it looks like the earth just warms and cools despite how self important we humans think we are.

Old 11-02-2014, 08:47 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
The latest headlines state There is no ambiguity on climate change..., yet you see millions of Americans idling their V-8s while updating their Facebook profiles, or speeding down the highway getting mediocre MPG from even hybrid cars.

Shale fracking is proclaimed as U.S. "energy independence" when the math doesn't come close to those claims, let alone the fact that we should cut back on fossil fuels, not wallow in them.

At work, the topic of the environment barely comes up and the typical blue collar drone seems embarrassed to mention it, if they think about it at all.

A wise species would at least have some interest in its fate, rather than riding headlong into a greed-based demise. I conclude that most people just aren't all that bright, especially those of the "conservative" persuasion who only want to conserve their own hides.

don't worry nature is going to whoop our azz pretty soon and theirs nothing you or I nor anybody else is going to do about it..

Old 11-02-2014, 10:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I'll think I'll take the cover off the 6mpg V-10 tomorrow and take it for a spin just for the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Maybe I'll start the RV and let it idle. I love the smell of diesel in the morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Well......I have a V8 Lexus and a V8 Mercedes in the garage.

And there are dozens of other models. Hell, even VW had a V10 and V12 recently(extra credit if you can figure out what model it's in without Googling it).
i would happily join you guys, but all i have right now is an inline six powered fairmont sedan.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:37 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
The latest headlines state There is no ambiguity on climate change..., yet you see millions of Americans idling their V-8s while updating their Facebook profiles, or speeding down the highway getting mediocre MPG from even hybrid cars.

Shale fracking is proclaimed as U.S. "energy independence" when the math doesn't come close to those claims, let alone the fact that we should cut back on fossil fuels, not wallow in them.

At work, the topic of the environment barely comes up and the typical blue collar drone seems embarrassed to mention it, if they think about it at all.

A wise species would at least have some interest in its fate, rather than riding headlong into a greed-based demise. I conclude that most people just aren't all that bright, especially those of the "conservative" persuasion who only want to conserve their own hides.
I have to agree with you, and I can only hope that other countries have citizens that are smarter than most Americans.

If not, mankind is headed towards extinction.

Old 11-02-2014, 10:38 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Heathen.

People are totally nuts on here. People are viruses. I'm glad my two children have decided not to have children. Let's fork out 50 bucks a DAY to park the car.

Talk to China and India about global warming or climate change, get them to clean up their acts and then we can talk. Stop giving MY tax dollars to green companies that only make CEO's rich before they go out of business. Take your recycled cotten bags to the grocery store if that makes you feel better about your role in making the world greener. But watch how much energy you use in regularly washing those bags and be careful which laundry detergent you use.

The air in this country is cleaner than it has ever been, we are driving less in personal vehicles than ever before, and vehicles are lighter and more energy efficient than they have ever been. Mass transit will never go over in a big way in this country - we love our cars too much, we can't afford the infrastructure to make it work, you couldn't pay me to travel on a subway or train (too damn dangerous and filled with whack jobs), and those who can afford it would rather not share close spaces with thousands of sweaty strangers that they don't know.

The OP doesn't want an honest discussion about climate change. His post and his post title both demonstrate as much. I would put it to the OP that rural people (you know - the dumb, greedy, apathetic apes) do more to conserve than many of the so-called enlightened, white collar, young, hip, city folks that supposedly "get it".

They barter supplies and services. They keep every piece of string, reuse every nail, and reuse every piece of lumber that they can. They raise some of their own food and exchange what they make or grow with their neighbors for other items. They shop for clothes and shoes at yard sales and thrift stores. In the west they can actually eat the fish that they catch because they haven't f'd up the water. I know many people who quietly conserve in many large and small ways - and not because the environment is their first thought. They do it because it costs less to reuse nails than it does to go buy new. Because it is cheaper to grow and can food than it is to pay grocery store prices. They hunt because meat is too damn expensive to buy. Because they can buy a pair of good used boots at a yard sale for 5 bucks instead of paying 120 bucks at Cabelas. Because they can trade a decent four wheeler on an online Facebook classifieds site for a boat. Or a gun. Or a horse. Helping the environment is just a side benefit.

There is a WORLD of living in this country that the OP knows nothing about. The "dumb, greedy, apes" do their part for the environment. Do you??

Old 11-02-2014, 11:09 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,111 times
Quote:

I've got no idea who you are and what your politics are (obviously), but your rhetorical strategy here pretty much sucks. You've managed to insult hybrid car owners (like me), people who use fossil fuels (pretty much everyone, although to varying extents), people at your workplace (who are they and why should we care?), and humanity at large, all in support of the argument that people should care about what happens to people.

I don't think anyone of good will would disagree with that, so what's the point? Ah, yes, CD. Here's my (perhaps helpful, perhaps amusing, and certainly incomplete) taxonomy of many CD P & OC posts:

• Outrage about X issue
  • Outrage in response to another's posting about X issue
  • Outrage about the fact that it is not the 1950s anymore
  • Generalized attacks on humanity based on too few examples
  • Gross over-generalizations
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Fallacious slippery slope arguments
  • Fallacious red herring arguments
  • Accusations that others are playing an "X" card, with an apparent unawareness of the fact that by making the accusation, the posters themselves are playing a card. There's no game without a card.
If you can think of more categories, feel free to add. These are just the categories that immediately come to mind. Let's discuss.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:08 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I have to agree with you, and I can only hope that other countries have citizens that are smarter than most Americans.

If not, mankind is headed towards extinction.
at some point in time, several hundred thousand years into the future, mankind is headed for extinction anyway, dont kid yourself. and please stop with the alarmism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies