Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 01:55 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,747,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Seems like you guys are saying that if you don't have the means for transportation, you're just s**t out of luck on voting day. Hmm, I didn't know that having money for the bus or owning a car was a requirement to vote. So, if I have an ID, and I really want to vote, but can't afford the $2.50 that day, too bad?
They walk? I mean it's not anyone's fault if they can't get to the polls. People had like three weeks of early voting, and they couldn't find any form of transportation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 02:32 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
I am sure this discussion should happen, but the Atlanta forum is not the place.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:45 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
Quote:
Seems like you guys are saying that if you don't have the means for transportation, you're just s**t out of luck on voting day. Hmm, I didn't know that having money for the bus or owning a car was a requirement to vote. So, if I have an ID, and I really want to vote, but can't afford the $2.50 that day, too bad?
If a person can't afford the $2.50 bus fare, then there are probably better things for him to do than vote. Yes, I don't think we as a society must remove any "barriers" people may have to voting. If it is a wall of German Shepherds between a person and the polling station, you might have a point.

I mean, in Texas, the argument was that people are unjustifiably disenfranchised because they can't gather the proper paperwork to get their FREE ID so they can vote. That was declared a "poll tax". Oh...just shoot me!

Old 11-03-2014, 04:55 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
If a person can't afford the $2.50 bus fare, then there are probably better things for him to do than vote. Yes, I don't think we as a society must remove any "barriers" people may have to voting. If it is a wall of German Shepherds between a person and the polling station, you might have a point.

I mean, in Texas, the argument was that people are unjustifiably disenfranchised because they can't gather the proper paperwork to get their FREE ID so they can vote. That was declared a "poll tax". Oh...just shoot me!
It's not about the money, Mathman. In America every person's vote is worth the same, regardless of whether you are a dope fiend or a billionaire. On election day everybody is 100% evened out.

Old 11-03-2014, 05:09 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Does this forum no longer have a moderator?
Only Greg but he has been hands off lately besides the topic he closed yesterday.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:04 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I see this as a ploy to get more of the poor to vote.
Those darn Democrats, helping people exercise their right to vote!

Old 11-04-2014, 06:34 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Want to get the vote out? charge people for not voting.... $100 for the first offense, escalating.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:44 AM

46 posts, read 61,338 times
Seems like a huge waste of money, frankly. How many people would just ride the bus wherever?

Just have mail-in ballots.
I'm with Rand Paul on this(?), but waay more so. Voting should be made as easy as possible.

If youre sitting on your duff, with a million dollars in the bank, you can take off work no problem. Hell, you probably own the business. Tell your nanny to keep raising your kids for you, etc, lawn guy to continue taking care of your lawn for you, etc.

If you're working two jobs, have three kids, a house, chores, etc, its a different story.

I think the ol school GOP has their head up their rear end on this issue. And its why, even after 6 years of Barry, they're *still* struggling to get votes.

Some people never learn I guess...

A new breed of Republican was needed (6 years ago) but they just doubled down, and now here we still are.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:00 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,175,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I think expecting folks to take off from work to vote is a huge barrier. I think not being able to vote online is a huge barrier. No one pays for my gas, cab fare, UBER bill or MARTA trip to get to the polling place. And, sometimes I have to wait in line for a while to vote. That's a big barrier. What if I have a last minute business trip and cannot be in my jurisdiction on the one day set aside for voting? Why cannot we have two or more days on which to cast votes?

I am not trying to pick a fight or argue with you - in fact, I'm agreeing with you: there are barriers in place that prevent not just poor folks but all folks from voting. Personally, I sorta think that they should all be addressed.

Who has to take off work to vote? The poles are open from 7am-7pm. Do you work a 12 hour shift?

Old 11-04-2014, 07:57 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Are you arguing that giving poor people greater access to the polls is bad? Why would we want to have any barriers in place preventing anybody from exercising their right to vote?
Most places have mail in ballots as well as get out the vote groups that will come pick people up and drive them to the polls. Heck, not too many years back up in Milwaukee the sons of several prominent democrats were caught slashing the tires on the Republican vehicles that did just that.

How about people working for a living? What about a national holiday so that I can vote because people that are on public aid have a whole lot more free time than I do to vote and that's not fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies