Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 05:08 PM

37 posts, read 25,676 times

Advertisements

Should we pass a law that mandates retail stores to advertise "Christmas" exclusively and ban from using the political correctness word of 'holidays' when referring to Christmas ?

Being originally from Australia myself, I never heard the term 'holidays' before that referred to Christmas despite being less Christian/religious than the US. Holidays was for vacation. What makes me annoyed is 'holiday gift', 'holiday market', 'holiday' this and that nonsense! You can use Thanksgiving and Halloween, but not Christmas. Even Muslims in Australia wouldn't get offended or cared..

Seriously Christmas is a national holiday so why would people be bothered in a country that most people are Christians and celebrate it ????

Old 11-08-2014, 05:18 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,099,751 times
It's a non-issue no matter which direction it takes. Should people be offended by sales labeled 'Christmas sales?' Of course not. Unless they make sure you're a practicing Christian before you get the sale, it's not actually discriminating to anyone. Same goes the other way around. Calling it 'holiday sale' doesn't exclude Christmas as it is in fact, a holiday.

That's how America works though. We are an easily offended people.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:20 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Impossible so this is a complete non issue.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:25 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,294,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christmas is Here View Post
Should we pass a law that mandates retail stores to advertise "Christmas" exclusively and ban from using the political correctness word of 'holidays' when referring to Christmas ?

Being originally from Australia myself, I never heard the term 'holidays' before that referred to Christmas despite being less Christian/religious than the US. Holidays was for vacation. What makes me annoyed is 'holiday gift', 'holiday market', 'holiday' this and that nonsense! You can use Thanksgiving and Halloween, but not Christmas. Even Muslims in Australia wouldn't get offended or cared..

Seriously Christmas is a national holiday so why would people be bothered in a country that most people are Christians and celebrate it ????

Because not everyone celebrates Christmas?

Old 11-08-2014, 05:35 PM

106 posts, read 74,828 times
Quote:

uh... no why not let the businesses decide for themselves how they want to advertise during the season instead of the government mandating how a store should advertise.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:07 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,721,231 times
Quote:

Have you ever seen the movie "Holiday Inn?"

Holiday Inn (1942) - IMDb

Old 11-08-2014, 06:49 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,477,534 times
Whats the problem with "Holidays"? Here is Andy Williams singing "Happy Holiday" & "The Holiday Season" way back in 1962.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:00 PM

30,279 posts, read 23,766,127 times
Quote:

The last thing we need is another ridiculous law with government telling businesses what to do. People just need to get the hell over it.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:24 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,477,534 times
Quote:
Really? You created a new username "Christmas is Here" just to make war on Christmas posts?

Old 11-08-2014, 07:30 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,426,253 times
Yes. Now since it's not Christmas your user name and entire post is banned. Come back in a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies