Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 08:34 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I do happen to know for a fact that Cisco imports programmers. What makes you think they wouldn't?
For 2014, they submitted only four programmer visas applications. Majority of them were computer scientists, network engineers, and software engineers. I actually saw a few business analysts listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 08:49 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I work in the technology industry as well (also teach is academically and am a contributing member of the ACM). I'm surprised that with 25 years of experience you have little knowledge about the field.

Computer science is an academic field of study relating to the furthering of computing technology. IT is the application of such computing technology. An example of CS includes developing an algorithm to multicast encrypted data packets across dense frequencies. An example of IT includes writing a computer program to put together accounting reports or handle financial transactions.

Computer science is certainly not IT. Refer to the ACM and IEEE.
IT=Information Technology. It covers everything relating to........wait for it.......Information Technology. But then again, who gives a rats ass about what you want to call those jobs. I call them what they are called in the field.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I do happen to know for a fact that Cisco imports programmers. What makes you think they wouldn't?
All of the above companies hire IT professionals, like software engineers, and India has plenty of them.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
IT=Information Technology. It covers everything relating to........wait for it.......Information Technology. But then again, who gives a rats ass.
You must "give a rats ass" since you made this post.

That's like saying that electrician work falls under physics because electricity is part of physics. Sorry, but an electrician is not a physicist just because the wires he hooks up have to do with something discovered in the academic field of physics. The same is true of IT. IT folks are users of technology created by computer scientists. Just because an IT guy knows how to use technology, it doesn't make him/her a computer scientist.

I can understand how this is complicated for those who are not familiar with the field. The ACM doesn't really do anyone favors with the way they have classified IT/CS/CE/IS, etc.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:58 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Among top 50, Most green cards went to Indian nationals.
Top Green Card Sponsor by Citizenship Country : 2014 Green Card Reports | MyVisaJobs.com

RankCitizenship CountryGreen Card PetitionsAverage Salary
1India 25,375 $100,673
2China 2,502 $94,512
3South Korea 2,044 $73,024
4Canada 1,881 $116,716
5Philippines 1,340 $66,793
6Mexico 1,299 $63,420
7United Kingdom 644 $117,752
8Taiwan 514 $84,691
9Pakistan 509 $110,310
10Japan 378 $82,313
How about that!

People with actual marketable skills!

Old 11-09-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:

That's like saying that electrician work falls under physics because electricity is part of physics. Sorry, but an electrician is not a physicist just because the wires he hooks up have to do with something discovered in the academic field of physics. The same is true of IT. IT folks are users of technology created by computer scientists. Just because an IT guy knows how to use technology, it doesn't make him/her a computer scientist.

I can understand how this is complicated for those who are not familiar with the field. The ACM doesn't really do anyone favors with the way they have classified IT/CS/CE/IS, etc.
I'm a self employed contractor. I use physics daily.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'm a self employed contractor. I use physics daily.
You must be a physicist!

Old 11-09-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:

BS. I have a degree in computer science, but it doesn't change the fact the IT jobs are called IT jobs, and software engineers, systems analysts, network admins, business intelligence analysts, QA analysts or pretty much any job related to computers or software are called IT jobs in the field. If you want to parrot something you read in some ACM leaflet, then knock yourself out. I call them what they are called in the field.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
You must be a physicist!
I do find it to be a fascinating science, but I've never had the desire to learn theory.

I simply enjoy examining physics in my daily life.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
BS. I have a degree in computer science, but it doesn't change the fact the IT jobs are called IT jobs, and software engineers, systems analysts, network admins, business intelligence analysts, QA analysts or pretty much any job related to computers or software are called IT jobs in the field. If you want to parrot something you read in some ACM leaflet, then knock yourself out. I call them what they are called in the field.
All of those are IT jobs so of course they would be called IT jobs. But not all jobs related to computers or software are called IT jobs. It's a shame that your degree didn't come with an education.

I, too, have a degree in computer science and I've worked for 3 of the companies on that list along with a few others in silicon valley. There's a big difference between an IT software developer and a computer scientist... even in the private sector. It seems like your experience in the field is limited. There's nothing wrong with that.

We've confirmed the answer to your previous question. YOU do give a rats ass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies