Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 08:33 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Where a few people can tell everyone how to live their lives. If they will ban tobacco, what's next? Alcohol? Fast food? Football? Sex?

Maybe this is a holdover attitude from their days of the Scarlet Letter.

What attracts people to a town that treats adults like kids?

News from The Associated Press
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2014, 08:52 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
It seems that they want to ban the sale of smokes in the town, not ban smoking in the town.

However, THAT would be totally unconstitutional!

Although the way things are now I wouldn't be surprised if that's next. I used to buy my smokes at the local Rite Aid, but they insisted that people show ID each and every time they wanted to purchase smokes, even though I had been going there for 17 years and all the people who work there know me!

It was just harrassment.

I wrote to Rite Aid and told them I would not be spending those thousands of dollars each year at their store; I'd go to a different one. I haven't been in a Rite Aid for almost a year. Their loss.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:03 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Laws that protect us from ourselves. (Sigh) Always, some group or another seeks to impose their thinking on everyone, in the belief that we just can't be trusted with our own lives. No matter how you slice it, this kind of rationale ends up being no more than arrogant elitism wrapped in pretty paper labeled "its for your own good".

Last I checked, We the People don't elect representatives to save us from ourselves. This local government is putting things like sanitation, mosquito control, EMS, and the things they are supposed to work on, aside and squandering resources to forces people to "just LISTEN to them!!! The time and money spent, already, toward their noble aim of tobacco abolition, could probably have funded something far more worthwhile. Like water distribution upgrades, etc.

All for an ordinance that does NOTHING other than make a statement. I say, if they want to make a statement, fine. Wear a T shirt or get a bumper sticker. On their own dime.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:12 AM

31,062 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Where a few people can tell everyone how to live their lives. If they will ban tobacco, what's next? Alcohol? Fast food? Football? Sex?

Maybe this is a holdover attitude from their days of the Scarlet Letter.

What attracts people to a town that treats adults like kids?

News from The Associated Press
Back to the days of Prohibition! Look at California and all the laws going into protecting us from ourselves. California=Totalitarian State

Old 11-10-2014, 09:33 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
as much as smoking revolts me, this is just plain wrong.

then again, so are DRY COUNTIES . There is little difference.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol/Cont...l#.VGDpSfnF_YE

Alcohol and Drinking Facts in States across the US

Old 11-10-2014, 10:29 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Who would want to live in this town???
Looks like 7,700 people live in the town.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:30 AM

109 posts, read 91,036 times
Protecting us from ourselves.

I'm a smoker if my town ever did something like this I would move.

Quit going to CVS when they just said there were thinking about not selling cigs. Then they did it.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2020 View Post
Protecting us from ourselves.

I'm a smoker if my town ever did something like this I would move.

Quit going to CVS when they just said there were thinking about not selling cigs. Then they did it.
CVS will survive without your business because cigarette sales didn't make them that much compared to all the other business they did.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:42 AM

109 posts, read 91,036 times
Thank you, for letting me know I really thought I was gonna bring CVS down by not going to buy cigs there once a week.

Damn it.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream2020 View Post
Thank you, for letting me know I really thought I was gonna bring CVS down by not going to buy cigs there once a week.

Damn it.
All I am saying is that is why CVS did it, it was a business decision to make their company look good. If CVS thought there would be any backlash or too much loss in money, then they wouldn't have done it. But today, the small percentage of Americans that still smokes continues to shrink, eventually making cigarettes won't be a profitable business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies