Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 02:30 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
I know, and I'm not deeply offended by your opinions or anything. Again, public school+fat kid. I've heard worse.

But I'm still shocked by the number of adult people in this world who feel totally justified in sharing these opinions on either open forums or in public, and that just baffles me. I'm not seeking attitudinal change, just public decency.

I think a big part of it is that people justify overweight people deserve ridicule because it's something they can (hypothethically) control, so it's perfectly fine to mock them. I don't get what's so hard about "don't be a jerk", but it seems to be a struggle for some people.

I'm pretty sure that's something people have control over, too.
There's a time and place to be blunt with your opinions and this forum is such a place. It is the Politics and Controversies Forum. We are not at work where you have to worry about facing a hostile work environment. We are on a private internet forum where participation is completely voluntary. Don't expect others to walk on eggshells here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 02:31 PM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla151 View Post
This made me laugh. I once got stuck sitting between to very overweight (obese) husband and wife couple. They were smart enough not to take seats sitting next to each other so they could be comfortable. Not so lucky for the person (me) sitting in the middle. Worse than feeling squished between the two of them was being in the middle of their conversation. I guess that is one way of getting around having to buy an extra seat. I always wondered what would have happened if another obese person took that seat.

Get what you are saying. Sitting on a plane for 3 or 4 hours is hard enough. It's why a relative who is very overweight always buys 2 seats when flying and only flies rarely.
How about having to sit next to, in front of, or behind a squalling kid? Does that bother you?? How about being somewhere where someone talks loudly on their phone? Does that bother you? I hate being in an elevator with someone, man or woman, who uses too much cologne, I can barely breathe sometimes. Lighten up and get a grip.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:33 PM

778 posts, read 823,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
There's a time and place to be blunt with your opinions and this forum is such a place. It is the Politics and Controversies Forum. We are not at work where you have to worry about facing a hostile work environment. We are on a private internet forum where participation is completely voluntary. Don't expect others to walk on eggshells here.
I'm far more concerned with people out in the real world, or unprompted attacks on say Facebook or unrelated forums.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:15 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
And some of my tax money has gone to fund things and people I don't like, too.
It's not about liking or not liking. It's about you DELIBERATELY CHOOSING to be a burden to others via your own lack of self-discipline.

Old 11-17-2014, 03:19 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
As long as overweight people leave a donut for me (newsflash for fatties: you don't need five donuts!), we're cool. I don't have contempt for them.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not about liking or not liking. It's about you DELIBERATELY CHOOSING to be a burden to others via your own lack of self-discipline.
Oh, yeah. I distinctly remember waking up one morning and asking "Gee, how can I be a detriment to society?" This quest led me to the McDonald's drive-thru, and the rest is history.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:33 PM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Oh, yeah. I distinctly remember waking up one morning and asking "Gee, how can I be a detriment to society?" This quest led me to the McDonald's drive-thru, and the rest is history.
It's your choice to eat a healthy diet, get adequate exercise, maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle... or not. You chose to burden others.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:48 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times
Quote:
I understand that people are not all the same. I do all things in moderation and have never had an addiction, but I've always been that way, so it's likely just the way I am. You, on the other hand, might have a difficult time controlling your temptations and I suspect that food isn't your only indulgence. But you can change your behaviors in small ways that will make a difference in your life.

Instead of a soda, drink water. Add flavor, if you think that water tastes gross. Eat a low fat wrap instead of a burger. Don't keep sweets in your house; instead keep non fattening fruits. If you can do these three things on a consistent basis, then set three more small goals and keep going from there. Don't think about the person that you wish you were. Think about who you are and recognize your own limitations and work within that framework. Think big, but work small. Chip away at your bad habits.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I understand that people are not all the same. I do all things in moderation and have never had an addiction, but I've always been that way, so it's likely just the way I am. You, on the other hand, might have a difficult time controlling your temptations and I suspect that food isn't your only indulgence. But you can change your behaviors in small ways that will make a difference in your life.

Instead of a soda, drink water. Add flavor, if you think that water tastes gross. Eat a low fat wrap instead of a burger. Don't keep sweets in your house; instead keep non fattening fruits. If you can do these three things on a consistent basis, then set three more small goals and keep going from there. Don't think about the person that you wish you were. Think about who you are and recognize your own limitations and work within that framework. Think big, but work small. Chip away at your bad habits.
Food, honestly, is my only vice. I have maybe four drinks a year, don't do any recreational drugs (not even pot, despite living in Humboldt county), I don't gamble, don't go on massive shopping sprees, don't go to strip clubs, and I live fairly modestly.

I know you're coming from a place of kindness right now and I appreciate that, but this is another thing people do to fat people: unsolicited advice. I'm not unaware of basic nutrition, or how to make small changes and how those add up. I just had a delicious teriyaki bowl for dinner filled with brown rice, steamed veggies, and grilled chicken breast. I'm drinking water right now, and it tastes just fine. I very rarely have sweets in the house, and even eat primarily vegetarian at home. I've lost over 40 pounds before...and found pretty much all of it again at various points.

I get that the basic concepts of weight loss are very simple. The act of losing weight is less so.

Right now I'm on the tail-end of a two and a half month long injury recovery. I missed a ton of school, dealt with a lot of frustrating doctor appointments, and spent weeks unable to do much--this includes standing long enough to cook anything or do dishes. I ate a lot of fast food. I'm not thrilled about it, but when it's 6 PM and you feel sick from the several thousands of milligrams of OTC pain medicine you've taken that day, but standing for five minutes is still too painful, getting in the car and heading for the Golden Arches becomes a fine-sounding prospect. I had been slowly losing weight at a rate of about two pounds a month before all of this. Now I've gained ten pounds from the combined immobility and crappy diet. I'm getting back to doing things "right", but now I'm that much further behind.

And now I'm doing one of the things fat people so often feel they need to do: justify themselves.

I'm fat. I'm not happy about it, I'm working to change it, but things happen. I have too many other important things going on to feel too awful about it or wallow in horror and sadness over being a "burden on society".

Old 11-17-2014, 08:55 PM

779 posts, read 632,661 times
Quote:
I don't get what's so hard about "don't be a jerk", but it seems to be a struggle for some people.

I'm pretty sure that's something people have control over, too.

Hell yes! I think that is what gets me. I know it's the internet but behind every screen is a real person and this need/want to be such a$s holes never ceases to amaze me. This extreme categorizing and judgement on every topic is nuts. Whether it's a troll or an actual opinion I am never quite able to grasp the fun of being a huge di ck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies