Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2014, 05:45 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,374,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
The EPA says man made global warming could increase the Earths temperature by 11.5 F in the next 85 years.
Future Climate Change | Climate Change | US EPA
"We routinely wrote scare stories...Our press reports were more or less true...We were out to whip the public into a frenzy about the environment."
Jim Sibbison, environmental journalist, former public relations official for the Environmental Protection Agency

Old 11-13-2014, 05:56 AM

57,414 posts, read 26,328,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
You have utterly no clue about basic common sense or reality.
I've never said that the scientists themselves were somehow getting rich off of tax-payer funded climate research, my POINT is that the scientific organizations WHICH EMPLOY them are going to be very motivated to keep those research dollars flowing and the research dollars are predicated on alarmist science because alarmism motivates action. Once again, if science is corrupt and for sale, it's naive and stupid to think that only the skeptical scientists are guilty or capable of it.

"It is no secret that a lot of climate-change research is subject to opinion, that climate models sometimes disagree even on the signs of the future changes (e.g. drier vs. wetter future climate). The problem is, only sensational exaggeration makes the kind of story that will get politicians’ — and readers’ — attention. So, yes, climate scientists might exaggerate, but in today’s world, this is the only way to assure any political action and thus more federal financing to reduce the scientific uncertainty."
Monika Kopacz, atmospheric scientist

"The only thing to worry about is the damage that can be done by worrying. Why are some scientists worried? Perhaps because they feel that to stop worrying may mean to stop being paid."
George Kukla, climatologist, research scientist with the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University

“Since I am no longer affiliated with any organization nor receiving any funding, I can speak quite frankly….As a scientist I remain skeptical.”
Joanne Simpson, former NASA climate scientist
Climate research will always continue regardless, the scientists at NASA have no reason to falsify their research, they are not going to suddenly turn off temperature sensors. Scientists that are funded by the fossil fuel industry are an entire different story.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Climate research will always continue regardless, the scientists at NASA have no reason to falsify their research, they are not going to suddenly turn off temperature sensors. Scientists that are funded by the fossil fuel industry are an entire different story.
Are you for real?
They are more relevant, have more funding and more power by jumping on the climate alarmism bandwagon then they've ever enjoyed prior.

http://posey.house.gov/uploadedfiles...er-feb2011.pdf

Old 11-13-2014, 06:47 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,785,041 times
Quote:
You have utterly no clue about basic common sense or reality.
I've never said that the scientists themselves were somehow getting rich off of tax-payer funded climate research, my POINT is that the scientific organizations WHICH EMPLOY them are going to be very motivated to keep those research dollars flowing and the research dollars are predicated on alarmist science because alarmism motivates action. Once again, if science is corrupt and for sale, it's naive and stupid to think that only the skeptical scientists are guilty or capable of it.
Yes, conspiracy theories are common sense and reality.

Not only do you have no understanding of how science works, you have no understanding of how science funding works.

Accusations that climate science is money-driven reveal ignorance of how science is done | Ars Technica

Why would scientists who are not getting any richer, whose research is not getting any more funding that it ordinarily would have, somehow have an incentive to lie here?

And I'm having a hard time understanding how you can seriously equate Heartland with NASA, which is exactly what you're doing with your whole 'science is corrupt and for sale' argument. You've effectively painted Heartland as the heroes here, fighting for the rights of scientists who have been muzzled by NASA and its corrupt, money-grubbing ways. A PR FIRM who proudly announces its politics on its homepage is suddenly more credible than NASA? Do you honestly think that this is in any way realistic?

Old 11-13-2014, 06:49 AM

32,835 posts, read 19,525,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
but if the placement of those sensors is screwed up, they also give false readings, which has been proven to be the case with many of the sensors

Old 11-13-2014, 06:50 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,785,041 times
Quote:
Are you for real?
They are more relevant, have more funding and more power by jumping on the climate alarmism bandwagon then they've ever enjoyed prior.

That's a blatant lie.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
That's a blatant lie.
How? Since the space race and then the shuttle program died down, Nasa has been struggling for relevancy. They found it by jumping on the climate alarmism bandwagon.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,722,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Do you start these threads - it is cold at my house therefore no climate change - just to sound stupid or are you that uneducated that you actually believe your nonsense?
The sad part is that the current weather event is explained in his own links, but it did not penetrate.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:59 AM

57,414 posts, read 26,328,118 times
Quote:
Are you for real?

It's a fact that the earth is warming, should they discontinue studying not only the impact but the reasons, or is the argument that the earth is not warming?? Changes in climate, precipitation, impacts of other planets, sun spots are all an important part of scientific research.

Frank Wolf believes in global warming why would he reduce NASA's budget, certainly not because of a letter from some GOP Tea Party members funded by the Koch brothers.

NASA has nothing to gain nor do organizations like National Geographic, just more nonsense from people that don't believe in science.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Yes, conspiracy theories are common sense and reality.

Not only do you have no understanding of how science works, you have no understanding of how science funding works.

Accusations that climate science is money-driven reveal ignorance of how science is done | Ars Technica

Why would scientists who are not getting any richer, whose research is not getting any more funding that it ordinarily would have, somehow have an incentive to lie here?

And I'm having a hard time understanding how you can seriously equate Heartland with NASA, which is exactly what you're doing with your whole 'science is corrupt and for sale' argument. You've effectively painted Heartland as the heroes here, fighting for the rights of scientists who have been muzzled by NASA and its corrupt, money-grubbing ways. A PR FIRM who proudly announces its politics on its homepage is suddenly more credible than NASA? Do you honestly think that this is in any way realistic?
How are my allegations of a corruption a conspiracy theory and yours aren't when I have quotes from scientists as well as Climategates 1 and 2 to back it up?

I don't deny that groups like Heartland also seek to corrupt the science but you also have to remember something... you and your ilk immediately ascribe evil intentions to ANYTHING from Heartland but there was a case where Sanspeur was denigrating a scientist who spoke at a heartland event once and I proved that his skepticism came long before his association with Heartland. It wasn't as if Heartland paid him to state something he did not already believe in or come to the conclusion of on his own, they gave him a platform that the mainstream science community (reliant on funding predicated by alarmism) would not.

It's not as black and white as you seek to make with honest AGW scientists out to save the planet versus greedy, corrupt conservatives out to make a buck at any expense.

I think there are good and bad intentions on BOTH sides.
-There are AGW scientists who believe in their work and believe in the need for action
-There are AGW scientists who are influenced by politics, dogma, greed and groupthink.
-There are skeptics who believe in the basics of AGW but doubt the alarmism and the predictions made as well as our understanding of climate science being far enough along to fully understand the climate
-There are AGW skeptics who are influenced by greed or politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies