Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which of the following describes you:
I'm liberal, I believe the law of demand generally holds. 5 13.51%
I'm liberal, the law of demand holds with regard to tobacco taxes, but not with regard to the minimum wage. 0 0%
conservative, believe that the law of demand generally holds. 16 43.24%
None of the above. 16 43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 03:47 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times

Advertisements

Here's an article from a couple days ago that in essence says, the law of demand works. An army of guys in white coats, with billions in federal grants, have determined that as the price of cigs goes up, the quantity of cigs smoked goes down.
Want people to drink less? Make their cigarettes more expensive - The Washington Post

Almost giddy with this new-found knowledge, the WaPo suggests that tobacco tax hikes are in order:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaPo
And at the state level, there's still a lot of room for increases. State taxes on a pack of cigarettes range from $0.15 in Missouri to $4.35 in New York. Kentucky could tack on an additional nine dollars in taxes, and cigarettes there would still be cheaper than in Manhattan, where a pack will set you back $14.50 these days.
If you remember your econ 101, you know that the same applies to labor and the minimum wage. As the price of labor goes up, the quantity of labor demanded by employers goes down. Here's a 2 minute video showing how this plays out in terms of supply/demand:

How to draw minimum wage on a supply and demand graph - YouTube

Yet in discussions of the minimum wage, liberals always assure us that, no, minimum wage laws do not cause job loss or unemployment. Well clearly they do if you believe that the law of demand works. Unless, as the above video points out, the law sets the minimum wage at or below the market wage. In which case the minimum wage law is unnecessary, and a waste ink and paper.

Please explain, liberals. How is it that the law of demand works when it comes to a discussion of raising sin taxes, but not when it comes to a discussion of the minimum wage?

Last edited by wutitiz; 10-31-2014 at 04:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 04:51 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
One of the hallmark characteristics of right-wing perspective is the dumbing down of all issues to insulate themselves from having to deal with the truth that reality is not as clear-cut and as simplistic as their avaricious and self-centered attitudes would wish them to be. For that reason, right-wingers are seemingly incapable of understanding how something they look at with their tunnel-vision fully engaged, i.e., the reality of supply and demand, must be viewed as one of many facets of the situation for which they're attempting to pretend to be intelligent and proactive. They work hard to dodge the fact that these different aspects, especially aspects that are higher in priority than petty concerns such as money, such as human decency and the responsibility of a society to its most vulnerable members, that ruin their egoistic narrative. This is why, incidentally, right-wing perspective favors regressive policy so much. It is a reflection of how that perspective favors the more puerile nature, barbarism, callous disregard for others, self-centeredness, and why it cannot abide the trappings of civilization, such as society, government, the general welfare, etc.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:59 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
I may be a dumb right winger (who got all A's in econ 101, btw), but I know enough to press the 'return' key for a new paragraph from time to time. Especially when I'm writing long, run-on sentences with multiple commas, with an 'i.e.' here and an 'etc.' there.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
One of the hallmark characteristics of right-wing perspective is the dumbing down of all issues to insulate themselves from having to deal with the truth that reality is not as clear-cut and as simplistic as their avaricious and self-centered attitudes would wish them to be. For that reason, right-wingers are seemingly incapable of understanding how something they look at with their tunnel-vision fully engaged, i.e., the reality of supply and demand, must be viewed as one of many facets of the situation for which they're attempting to pretend to be intelligent and proactive. They work hard to dodge the fact that these different aspects, especially aspects that are higher in priority than petty concerns such as money, such as human decency and the responsibility of a society to its most vulnerable members, that ruin their egoistic narrative. This is why, incidentally, right-wing perspective favors regressive policy so much. It is a reflection of how that perspective favors the more puerile nature, barbarism, callous disregard for others, self-centeredness, and why it cannot abide the trappings of civilization, such as society, government, the general welfare, etc.
So, would that be a "No" from you ?

Old 10-31-2014, 05:26 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I may be a dumb right winger (who got all A's in econ 101, btw)
It would be interesting to know what grade I would have given you if you were a student in ECO 101 when I taught it. However, that's irrelevant: Your comment shows that, even if you read what I wrote, you clearly didn't understand it. Try again:
Quote:
One of the hallmark characteristics of right-wing perspective is the dumbing down of all issues to insulate themselves from having to deal with the truth that reality is not as clear-cut and as simplistic as their avaricious and self-centered attitudes would wish them to be. For that reason, right-wingers are seemingly incapable of understanding how something they look at with their tunnel-vision fully engaged, i.e., the reality of supply and demand, must be viewed as one of many facets of the situation for which they're attempting to pretend to be intelligent and proactive. They work hard to dodge the fact that these different aspects, especially aspects that are higher in priority than petty concerns such as money, such as human decency and the responsibility of a society to its most vulnerable members, that ruin their egoistic narrative...
I'll ignore your childish effort to distract attention from words you don't like especially until you actually bring yourself to read, understand and acknowledge what was actually said to you.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:33 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
It would be interesting to know what grade I would have given you if you were a student in ECO 101 when I taught it. However, that's irrelevant: Your comment shows that, even if you read what I wrote, you clearly didn't understand it. Try again:I'll ignore your childish effort to distract attention from words you don't like especially until you actually bring yourself to read, understand and acknowledge what was actually said to you.
Write your posts in a way that is clear and concise, and you won't have to worry about asking people to read a wall of text. You normally have much better punctuation than the above post shows.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:34 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,076,751 times
Generally moderate liberals accept it and radical liberals don't accept it. Not all liberals are the same, and it is wrong of us to characterize all liberals into one group.

The reason radical liberals don't believe in supply and demand is because they believe in progressive ideology over anything else. If supply and demand prove that conservatives are right, then according to radical liberals supply and demand must be wrong, because their ideology is never wrong.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:38 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Please explain, liberals. How is it that the law of demand works when it comes to a discussion of raising sin taxes, but not when it comes to a discussion of the minimum wage?
How about you first explaining how necessities (labor working for businesses) are even remotely comparable to luxuries (cigarettes) in the way they affect supply and demand?

Or did that come after Econ 101?

Old 10-31-2014, 05:48 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
I may be a dumb right winger (who got all A's in econ 101, btw), but I know enough to press the 'return' key for a new paragraph from time to time. Especially when I'm writing long, run-on sentences with multiple commas, with an 'i.e.' here and an 'etc.' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So, would that be a "No" from you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Write your posts in a way that is clear and concise, and you won't have to worry about asking people to read a wall of text. You normally have much better punctuation than the above post shows.

Hahahahhahaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2014, 05:51 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,604,595 times
Liberals know that if you take an econ class after 101, you learn that labor supply is not a straight line.

Backward bending supply curve of labour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies