Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 08:59 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Rep. Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, who is expecting a baby in December, is being denied a request to vote by proxy in the House Democratic Caucus leadership and committee member elections next week—even though her doctor advises she can’t travel to Washington in the late stages of her pregnancy.

The Iraq War veteran, who lost both legs when her helicopter was shot down in 2004, made the request in a letter to fellow Democrats. Her letter was read during a closed-door Democratic Caucus meeting on Thursday. But objections were raised, and the request was denied, with opponents including Democratic Steering and Police Committee cochair Rosa DeLauro of Connecticut and Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi.
Link: Democrats Deny Pregnant Congresswoman a Proxy Vote in Caucus Leadership - NationalJournal.com

Well, I suppose rules are rules. It seems, however, that the Democrat Party could exercise some discretion and give Ms. Duckworth a break. Can't she skype in to vote? This is 2014, after all.

More hypocrisy from the Democrat Party, what else is new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 09:08 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
I'd be interested in the reason why but seems idiotic to me. They might not want to set a precedent though for other proxy requests.

Soldier lost both her legs, became a house representative, is having a baby and still wants to vote.

She may be a Democrat but damn give the person a break. I'd say she's earned it.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:13 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I'd be interested in the reason why but seems idiotic to me. They might not want to set a precedent though for other proxy requests.

Soldier lost both her legs, became a house representative, is having a baby and still wants to vote.

She may be a Democrat but damn give the person a break. I'd say she's earned it.
I'm sure that the reason is that the rules say you have to be there in person. That's fine, but the rules need to be updated to allow for women like Ms. Duckworth.

The Democrats have no problem proposing and passing legislation that forces private businesses and citiizens to accommodate pregnant women like Ms. Duckworth. However, they won't practice what they preach in their own caucus. It's just another example of hubris and hypocrisy on the part of Pelosi and the rest of the Democrat Party.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:14 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Link: Democrats Deny Pregnant Congresswoman a Proxy Vote in Caucus Leadership - NationalJournal.com

Well, I suppose rules are rules. It seems, however, that the Democrat Party could exercise some discretion and give Ms. Duckworth a break. Can't she skype in to vote? This is 2014, after all.

More hypocrisy from the Democrat Party, what else is new?
Good thread title just more of the democratic war on women

Old 11-14-2014, 09:17 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
I believe part of the problem is how DC works. Votes are made not on during session in Congress, but in back room deals and intimidations by party whips. There's a story about an Edison invention to speed up vote counts in Congress. It would have greatly sped up business in Congress. Congress firmly rejected his invention. Automatic vote recorder invented by Thomas Edison - Stock Image V400/0022 - enlarged - Science Photo Library

With today's technology, members of congress can stay within their home state while teleconference meetings, view bills and speeches, and vote.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:22 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
This isn't a war on women, this is the caucus not wanting to change their rules and make an exception for anyone because then they would have to choose who would get it and who wouldn't. Plus this is meant to be a secret vote which would be hard to do when phoning it in.

So thread fail on the war on women part, this is just a slippery slope story.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This isn't a war on women, this is the caucus not wanting to change their rules and make an exception for anyone because then they would have to choose who would get it and who wouldn't. Plus this is meant to be a secret vote which would be hard to do when phoning it in.

So thread fail on the war on women part, this is just a slippery slope story.
Lear forward

Old 11-14-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Lear forward
I don't know what Lear forward means?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:26 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times
Didn't the Democrats prop up Teddy Kennedy, still allowing him to vote practically after rigor mortis set in?

Old 11-14-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
Didn't the Democrats prop up Teddy Kennedy, still allowing him to vote practically after rigor mortis set in?
Depends on the vote, Congress can phone in a number of votes, but they can't do that with all of the votes. There are some that require in person voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies