Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I agree. I just burned a massive amount of brush we cut on my farm and had blaze going for about two days. That should balance out a few hybrid cars for the year.
This post is the adult version of the kindergarten: NA-NA-NA-NA-NAH.

Last edited by TreeBeard; 11-16-2014 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2014, 10:47 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
So what exactly makes you and everyone else so willing to completely dismiss AGW?

I believe because I trust the AGW arguments I've read from people with impressive scientific credentials. So what have you read that makes you think it's a scam?

I mean, in this case, wouldn't 'I don't know enough about the issue to say either way' be a much better answer than 'pffff... it's a hoax and everyone who believes it is stupid!'?

All I see in these threads is people who can barely form coherent thoughts declaring that they're smarter than NASA scientists.

I thought that right-wingers were all about hard work... so why is it that they can put absolutely no effort into understanding the issue and still think they possess an informed opinion?
Recently dozens of retired NASA scientists said the primary link between warming and CO2 was bad science. Do you believe them or are they just big-oil shills?

Old 11-16-2014, 10:53 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
So what exactly makes you and everyone else so willing to completely dismiss AGW?
Haven't you been reading? 94% of denialism is based on not wanting to face the imagined consequences of dealing with it. It's about imaginary liberals conspiring with imaginary scientists in order to make an imaginary reason to implement an imaginary tax that's pointed right at their wallets ohmigod! 4% of denialism is based on religious belief, and 1% is honest ignorance. That sort hears a conservative say something like "global warming is a hoax" or "President Obama isn't an American citizen" and believe them because they don't know any better. I've met such people. It's not hard to set them straight.

I made those numbers up, but you get the gist.

Quote:
I mean, in this case, wouldn't 'I don't know enough about the issue to say either way' be a much better answer than 'pffff... it's a hoax and everyone who believes it is stupid!'?
If that were the case, they would have long ago looked at the facts presented to them by kind souls such as you and me - generous sorts who are willing to take time from our day to show them the facts - and said "Oh. My mistake. I'll stop taking James Inhofe and the guy who writes for Forbes seriously. Shame on my fellow Republicans." But they never do.

Denialism is not fact-based. It's based on partisan loyalty. Right wing movers and shakers don't want to do anything to upset their cash cows in the energy industry, so they oppose regulations that would affect such. "Their activities are screwing things up but we're not going to do anything about it because that would affect their profits and that would upset them" isn't much of a campaign speech, though, so they have to make up other reasons to ignore reality. Hence, conspiracy theories about Al Gore and "our" thousands of corrupt scientists.

It's a phenomenon that I find fascinating and frustrating and sad, all at the same time. I thought things would get better after Miss Cleo and the creepy televangelists went away. Silly optimistic me.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:56 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post

Denialism is not fact-based.
You're right; it is based on the omission of fact, from the fact giver.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:59 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Recently dozens of retired NASA scientists said the primary link between warming and CO2 was bad science. Do you believe them or are they just big-oil shills?
I don't believe them because a bunch of non-climatologists saying something does not even come close to constituting a scientific rebuttal. Why does the fact 25 people say something hold more weight than the vast amounts of research done by thousands over decades?

Would it be a waste of time to point out that "they're NASA scientists and I believe them" is a fallacious appeal to authority? They can say what they like, the research still shows otherwise.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:00 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Skepticism is more scientific than blind belief, sientifically speaking.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:04 AM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Skepticism is more scientific than blind belief, sientifically speaking.
That's pure sciencist thinking!

Old 11-16-2014, 11:06 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
FYI: The planet had the warmest October ever recorded since records have been kept.
And how long has that been? 50 years tops for reliable world wide temperatures? I'm pretty sure that 100 years ago we had no satellites, nor anywhere near the weather stations we have now, so I would seriously question the accuracy of any data that old.

Old 11-16-2014, 11:06 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,172,754 times
Look, the governments of the world have invested a lot of taxpayer dollars in the whole justification for upcoming (not imaginary) carbon taxes, and they will demand a payoff, a return on that investment. Cap and trade is where it's going, and in the end, who pays? We do, the consumer, the bottom of the chain.

And we are already reducing our emissions, go talk to the Chinese, they are the bandits these days. So are we to pay the third world for the sins of the Chinese? After of course the carbon exchange takes their cut.

https://www.theice.com/ccx gets your money through carbon exchange taxes whether you want to participate or not. And no the science is not settled. Are we really expected to believe everything science tells us, when it conflicts with our observations?

Old 11-16-2014, 11:10 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
Quote:
I think you're probably referring to the 49 ex-NASA employees and their letter?

They weren't climatologists, the majority weren't even scientists (most were merely administrators), and it said nothing about 'bad' science.

They were basically people who didn't know what they were talking about asking NASA to stop saying scary things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies