Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 07:42 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,685,226 times

Advertisements

Looks like tech startups are beginning to get corporate treatment from liberals. Why are they targeting Uber now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 07:45 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
From the story I saw last night, Uber is using data for their own company purposes. Like tracking a reporters drive areas so they have more information to talk to them, targeting negative Journalists and exposing what they do in their own time. Selling data to other companies without the end users knowledge, etc. They've also been reserving rides and cancelling them at the last minute to hurt their competitors.

I don't use it, I don't care, but I can see why some people would be offended with that kind of use of tools.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
From the story I saw last night, Uber is using data for their own company purposes. Like tracking a reporters drive areas so they have more information to talk to them, targeting negative Journalists and exposing what they do in their own time. Selling data to other companies without the end users knowledge, etc. They've also been reserving rides and cancelling them at the last minute to hurt their competitors.

I don't use it, I don't care, but I can see why some people would be offended with that kind of use of tools.
Yeah, I read about this. But you have to bear in mind that taxis have the monopoly now. You know how expensive it is to get a medallion? Taxi drivers have long colluded with regulators to limit competition. They're getting a taste of their own medicine.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:50 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Quote:

So they are targeting journalists who write negative stories and collecting data on innocent people? Sounds just like the Obama administration, only Uber can't use the IRS to attack their opponents.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:54 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
So they are targeting journalists who write negative stories and collecting data on innocent people? Sounds just like the Obama administration, only Uber can't use the IRS to attack their opponents.
Which has what to do with this debate and discussion? If you want to talk about the Obama administration, there are plenty of opportunities to do so, and there are threads on your topic, and if you want, start another.

I could say "Sounds like Republicans blocking data collection restraints" in the Senate yesterday, but that would be off topic, and have nothing to do with this discussion, correct?

Old 11-19-2014, 07:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,733,169 times
Quote:
Which has what to do with this debate and discussion? If you want to talk about the Obama administration, there are plenty of opportunities to do so, and there are threads on your topic, and if you want, start another.

I could say "Sounds like Republicans blocking data collection restraints" in the Senate yesterday, but that would be off topic, and have nothing to do with this discussion, correct?
Not off-topic, businesses tend to adopt the successful tactics of others, so it's not surprising that Uber would try to control the press after seeing the Obama administration be so successful at doing it by force.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:01 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Uhhh-how is this a left/right issue exactly?

I've used Uber many times and really have no complaints. There needs to be more competition and innovation in many industries, so I see this as a good thing.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:04 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
you have to bear in mind that taxis have the monopoly now. You know how expensive it is to get a medallion? Taxi drivers have long colluded with regulators to limit competition.
And that answers the "why is the left going after Uber" question.

Just wait, as online education grows and homeschooling becomes a lot easier, even for total morons....watch the teacher monopoly ramp up their efforts to kill the competition.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:08 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
The City of Toronto's licensing commission has applied to the courts to issue an injunction against Uber, to stop their unlawful activity in Canada's biggest city. The city of Toronto's by law enforcement officers have been calling Uber for service, then when the car arrives, charging the driver with a $650 by law fine.

The courts have been convicting the Uber drivers for operating with out a city of Toronto taxi license. They have also been charged by the Toronto Police Service, with operating without a business license, and without commercial liability insurance, which carries a minimum of a $5000, fine in Ontario. The maximum fine for having no commercial insurance, in Ontario is $25,000.

Some of the Uber drivers have also been investigated by the Canada Revenue Agency, for not declaring the income that they are making from Uber operations. The Canadian Border Services Agency is also involved, because some of the Uber drivers are apparently illegal immigrants, and some of them have outstanding deportation orders against them. In some cases, Uber drivers who were picking up people at the Toronto airport, who had current deportation warrants against them, were held at the airport by Immigration, and flown out to their home country the next day.

It is obvious from the above facts that in Canada, the Uber and Lyft operations are being carefully watched and prosecuted, at a number of levels. Cities, Provinces and the Federal Government are all involved, to a greater or lesser extent, depending on how many of these outlaws are around.

I used to own a small ( eight cars ) taxi company, in a central Ontario town, and I would be very angry if someone who had no license to operate, and no proper commercial insurance, started to compete with my legal business.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
The City of Toronto's licensing commission has applied to the courts to issue an injunction against Uber, to stop their unlawful activity in Canada's biggest city. The city of Toronto's by law enforcement officers have been calling Uber for service, then when the car arrives, charging the driver with a $650 by law fine.

The courts have been convicting the Uber drivers for operating with out a city of Toronto taxi license. They have also been charged by the Toronto Police Service, with operating without a business license, and without commercial liability insurance, which carries a minimum of a $5000, fine in Ontario. The maximum fine for having no commercial insurance, in Ontario is $25,000.

Some of the Uber drivers have also been investigated by the Canada Revenue Agency, for not declaring the income that they are making from Uber operations. The Canadian Border Services Agency is also involved, because some of the Uber drivers are apparently illegal immigrants, and some of them have outstanding deportation orders against them. In some cases, Uber drivers who were picking up people at the Toronto airport, who had current deportation warrants against them, were held at the airport by Immigration, and flown out to their home country the next day.

It is obvious from the above facts that in Canada, the Uber and Lyft operations are being carefully watched and prosecuted, at a number of levels. Cities, Provinces and the Federal Government are all involved, to a greater or lesser extent, depending on how many of these outlaws are around.

I used to own a small ( eight cars ) taxi company, in a central Ontario town, and I would be very angry if someone who had no license to operate, and no proper commercial insurance, started to compete with my legal business.

Jim B. In Toronto.
Why should commercial transportation have to abide by licensing laws? Taxi drivers only want to uphold protectionist policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies