Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 10:14 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times

Advertisements

I typically vote Conservative, but I'm against the Keystone pipeline because of their usage of eminent domain and them bothering people who just wanted to be left alone on their OWN property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
And therein lies the problem. There is no way to avoid humanity and its by-products. No one wants a landfill near them, no one wants a water treatment plant near them, no one wants a power plant or, heaven forbid, a nuclear powered power plant near them, and like your friends, many don't even want other people near them. Guess what? There are 7 billion of us and we are here to stay.
I myself, on my property, I could give 2 turds less about 7 billion other people. Those 7 billion other people don't pay my property taxes or mortgage. I do. It's MY land.

The difference in what you are saying vs this is that you are talking about things located NEAR one's place This is a company TAKING land from people, or at least trespassing ONTO IT. Yes, if I bought 50 acres or the like to GET AWAY from people, guess what--that's what I want to do. I don't care if that means the rest of you turn green and grow purple antenna out of your head, I could give 2 crap turds less, but I want my sovereign space untouched, even if that's what it takes for it to happen. I'm not in town here, where such could be reasonably expected, I'm in the boonies, and that's WHY I'm in the boonies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Not everyone who opposes the pipeline is democrat or liberal. Until eminent domain happens to you, you won't understand. I have some friends who are in a bitter fight with the Bonneville Power over new power transmission lines. [snip] This is the same thing, it's another wasteful expensive private company or group of companies trying to dupe people out of their land by campagning for the government to allow eminent domain to take effect through a campaign of misinformation to get people who have no dog in the hunt to support the project.

my friends have an amazing property with a great view of the mountains but will now have giant transmission lines running through it. They will have to cut down a 140 ft swath of trees along the route, the lines will be buzzing and go right over their pasture and within 200 feet of their home. All they wanted was to get away from people and have a slice of heaven out the sticks. And now it's being taken away.

Imagine the government forcing you to give up your land to a private company with little or no compensation, I'd fight it tooth and nail. [snip]

3. No American should loose their land, ever, and especially not to benefit a private Canadian company.
Exactly. That is exactly right.

Now, I do understand some land owners are okay with this, they've taken the point of view that their small tiny sacrifice will benefit many a people and they're being generous, in their mind, in that way. That's fine, but just as others give away much of their income to charities and it's VOLUNTARY and should be, the same goes here. Yes, if I bought 40-100 acres or whatever as my place to get away from people, that's exactly what I want it to be. I could give 2 turds less what someone else thinks--and yes, I DO expect them to figure out a way to have oil production with reasonable prices and plenty of jobs ANYWAY. Figure it out, that's your job, not mine, and sure as heck not my land's.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:21 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Showing complete and utter ignorance as to what the pipeline is.

You do know that there is a pipeline through pristine wilderness in Alaska that manages to move oil without "pumping toxic sludge"?
How many millions of Americans get their food and drinking water from the Alaskan aquafer?

Old 11-20-2014, 11:23 AM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I typically vote Conservative, but I'm against the Keystone pipeline because of their usage of eminent domain and them bothering people who just wanted to be left alone on their OWN property.

I myself, on my property, I could give 2 turds less about 7 billion other people. Those 7 billion other people don't pay my property taxes or mortgage. I do. It's MY land.

The difference in what you are saying vs this is that you are talking about things located NEAR one's place This is a company TAKING land from people, or at least trespassing ONTO IT. Yes, if I bought 50 acres or the like to GET AWAY from people, guess what--that's what I want to do. I don't care if that means the rest of you turn green and grow purple antenna out of your head, I could give 2 crap turds less, but I want my sovereign space untouched, even if that's what it takes for it to happen. I'm not in town here, where such could be reasonably expected, I'm in the boonies, and that's WHY I'm in the boonies.

Exactly. That is exactly right.

Now, I do understand some land owners are okay with this, they've taken the point of view that their small tiny sacrifice will benefit many a people and they're being generous, in their mind, in that way. That's fine, but just as others give away much of their income to charities and it's VOLUNTARY and should be, the same goes here. Yes, if I bought 40-100 acres or whatever as my place to get away from people, that's exactly what I want it to be. I could give 2 turds less what someone else thinks--and yes, I DO expect them to figure out a way to have oil production with reasonable prices and plenty of jobs ANYWAY. Figure it out, that's your job, not mine, and sure as heck not my land's.
Well excuse the 7 billion rest of us for infringing on your planet. Do you think the Native Americans gave 2 crap turds about how the Europeans managed their growing population and modern advancements? Don't you think they just wanted to be left alone in the boonies? Look where that got them. Human progress marches on.

We have a growing population and a growing need for infrastructure. Something's got to give. The reason you are able to live out in the boonies is because the government "took" land away from people to build roads, railroads, airports, power lines, telephone lines, pipelines, etc.

And I ask again: is the government "taking" land from people or are they compensating people the fair market value for their land?

Old 11-20-2014, 05:57 PM

336 posts, read 378,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
And I ask again: is the government "taking" land from people or are they compensating people the fair market value for their land?
Yes. When they run the pipeline through your front yard, they will reimburse you the appraised value of $500 per acre for the piece of your former property occupied by the pipeline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies