Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:15 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Christmas is a uniquely American Holiday.

We didn't have many holidays and this wasn't a huge event in Europe, so we expanded it to make it what it is today. As such, like Thanksgiving, most Americans participate in some way, form, or fashion.

I only bought a tree last year because my family started coming to my house. If no one is coming, I'm going to someone elses house, so I won't be decorating

Actually, Christmas is very big in Sweden and the rest of the Scandinavian countries. Im not sure about other countries in Europe but Christmas is our biggest Holiday in Sweden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 09:24 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I don't. But I deeply resent people trying to strongarm me into celebrating something I don't wish to celebrate.

And believe me - there are plenty of people who will do just that.
Who would strongarm you? If it's family members, well that's your problem......

I can't see why anyone would expect people to celebrate......I love Christmas, we have family rules that keep Christmas fun and stress free. Living far away from extended family helps a lot.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:18 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Actually, Christmas is very big in Sweden and the rest of the Scandinavian countries. Im not sure about other countries in Europe but Christmas is our biggest Holiday in Sweden.
Yeah, but not in a religious sort of way.

But i get what you mean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

I can't see why anyone would expect people to celebrate......I love Christmas, we have family rules that keep Christmas fun and stress free. Living far away from extended family helps a lot.
So much for that Christian "bring the family together for the holidays" Christmas thing.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:23 PM

527 posts, read 709,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

But i get what you mean.

So much for that Christian "bring the family together for the holidays" Christmas thing.
I have Scandinavian/Swedish neighbors and friends, and watched on TV that Christmas in Scandinavia/Sweden is still largely religious because they do St. Lucy's on Dec 13, have advent, sing many religious Christmas songs, etc.

Old 11-22-2014, 08:06 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Christmas is a uniquely American Holiday.

We didn't have many holidays and this wasn't a huge event in Europe, so we expanded it to make it what it is today. As such, like Thanksgiving, most Americans participate in some way, form, or fashion.

I only bought a tree last year because my family started coming to my house. If no one is coming, I'm going to someone elses house, so I won't be decorating
Actually most of our Christmas traditions are of European origin and Christmas in most of Europe is a "huge event".

Old 11-22-2014, 08:25 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have always found it odd that people look at you weird when you tell them you are doing nothing for the Christmas season . I don't bother with a tree or decorating the house ...I mean really why ? I mean I have hated Christmas since I was a kid and it has not gotten any better so I don't want to be reminded of it everywhere I look .
Whaaaa? You mean you are NOT celebrating with your large family of 100 or so all decked out in their finest? Drinking and celebrating all that good cheer? Playing Christmas carols around the piano while cherubic children sing?

Actually, I find more and more people my age (with kids who are older and in college) have stepped it down a notch for Christmas. I no longer decorate every room. It's doubtful if there will even be any outside lights thrown on the bushes this year.

I can see that every year I could do less and no one would notice. My last parent just died; my family back home is going through severe hard times - though we are going to visit - it's not going to be any big, happy party.

I don't see one thing wrong with doing nothing for Christmas. Not a thing - especially if you are happy with it.

My son and I stopped doing anything on Christmas Day after my Mom died in 2001. We always did something on Christmas Eve = but she always got the extended family together on Christmas Day. After she died - extended family let it be known that Christmas Eve was enough for them.

Fine. We went to our first movie on Christmas Day (feeling lonely) and it was PACKED. Everyone in town was there and now it's something we enjoy doing that takes very little effort and just relaxing.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:24 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

But i get what you mean.

Hey when some are like posters who "hate" christmas who needs them. It's one thing to not enjoy something, but to show up and act like the rest should join in your drunken depressed stupor......forget about it!

It takes 2 Christians to make it work, not one Christian and one pretending it's a game. Or it's all about them and their unhappiness, while others are celebrating what they hate.

P.S. I do have to say some of my Atheist friends have much more fun with Christmas, compared to some of my Christian friends. Christmas is what you want it to be, stress should not be a pert of it, that is what is not Christian about Christmas.

Last edited by wildflower82; 11-22-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 11-22-2014, 11:12 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have always found it odd that people look at you weird when you tell them you are doing nothing for the Christmas season . I don't bother with a tree or decorating the house ...I mean really why ? I mean I have hated Christmas since I was a kid and it has not gotten any better so I don't want to be reminded of it everywhere I look .
In the US it must be odd since it is a Christian country. I don't do anything on Christmas, either, being an atheist, what should I do? I don't care about Jesus, nor about Germanic fairy tales about Santa Claus and what not. Having said that, I do like the lights, though, and that many people seem to be nicer and more contemplative than during the year. And being a regular event, it adds to the rhythm of the year. For many people that event is just a reason to get together again, regardless of the religious stuff. Many people don't believe in that, anyway.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:59 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Default Family getting together

since we live about 1,000 miles away from our children and grandson. The religious significance was done away with decades ago. Today it is about being together and sharing a meal and traditions. I love cooking and it's the only time of the year that we are all together and I can cook the same traditional meal as I did when they were kids. Since we don't live in the same state and cannot afford to travel both Holidays, our kids spend Thanksgiving with their in-laws. Christmas is OUR time with them.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:35 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

I have a challenge for you.

Next time someone asks you what you are doing for the holidays, say "nothing". Watch what happens.

True, family can be worst. But it isn't just them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies