Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 12:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I am not concerned about your 'arguments'. The conversation, which you inserted yourself into, was about the claim saying economy was improving before Obama was sworn in.

Argument: "the economy started improving before Obama was sworn in"

It was proven false.

Oh hell I was supporting your argument that the economy wasnt done falling when obama was sworn into office, in fact I validated this was true and then stated the FACT that it did stop falling and started recovering BEFORE Obama passed the stimulus bill..

YOU are the one who responded to MY posting with these facts, by attributing a quote that I DIDNT SAY..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
On top of that, your claim about economy growing in 1st qt 2009 is also BS.
I never made that statement either.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I was referencing the points from the post I responded to, which I thought would have been obvious.

Feel free to research the bills that failed to proceed because they required a 3/5 majority. Here is a list.
https://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/re...tureCounts.htm
What one of those would have "fixed" the economy?

its YOUR argument that they werent passed and htus the economy wasnt fixed as a result, its not my job to list the bills to validate your position for you.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Um, just so you know, your article from 2013 is apparently out of date. A newer one in the same magazine (Forbes) has a different take on things today:

"Obama Outperforms Reagan On Jobs, Growth And Investing...
Average GDP growth first 5 years under Reagan 8.8%
Average GDP growth first 5 years under Obama 2.7%

Median incomes under Reagan first five years up 7.7%
Median incomes under obama first five years down 4.8%

National debt growth under Reagan first 5 years, $1.015 trillion
National debt growth under Obama first 5 years, $6.66 trillion

Jobs created under Reagan first 5 years 5.7 million
Jobs created under Obama first five years 1.287 million

you were saying?

Old 12-02-2014, 01:37 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,860 times
And why didn't the Democrats run on these kinds of thing 2 months ago??

but clearly, distancing themselves from Obama obviously worked.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:52 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What one of those would have "fixed" the economy?

its YOUR argument that they werent passed and htus the economy wasnt fixed as a result, its not my job to list the bills to validate your position for you.
No that was your added stipulation.

I responded to:

3. there is no obstruction from the republicans.....for the first two years of Obama's presidency the liberals had total control of all 3 houses.

4 the obstruction has been from the senate democrat leaders, not allowing bills to even be seen, let alone voted on...the house has passed many bills only to have the obstructionist democrats not even allow them to be voted on in the senate...even some of Obama's wishes........it is a complete failure of the democrat senators not to vote on bills that have already passed the PEOPLES HOUSE

With

Point three: What 3 houses? The veto proof majority in the Senate existed for roughly one month, not 2 years.
Point four: Numerous bills got majority yes votes in the Senate, but were blocked from proceeding because of the need for a super majority to override the Republican filibuster.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:

I responded to:

3. there is no obstruction from the republicans.....for the first two years of Obama's presidency the liberals had total control of all 3 houses.

4 the obstruction has been from the senate democrat leaders, not allowing bills to even be seen, let alone voted on...the house has passed many bills only to have the obstructionist democrats not even allow them to be voted on in the senate...even some of Obama's wishes........it is a complete failure of the democrat senators not to vote on bills that have already passed the PEOPLES HOUSE

With

Point three: What 3 houses? The veto proof majority in the Senate existed for roughly one month, not 2 years.
Point four: Numerous bills got majority yes votes in the Senate, but were blocked from proceeding because of the need for a super majority to override the Republican filibuster.
That is supported by this graph.

Notice 2007 and 2011 are both outliers to the upward trend (2007 as an extreme increase, 2011 as an extreme decrease) 2009 and 10 are the 3rd and 4th biggest years for filibusters. NOTE: you need more votes to overturn a veto than to overturn a filibuster.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:28 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:

I responded to:

With

uhm...what three houses

the house of reps
the house of the senate
the white house

btw it only takes a simple majority (usually 51 votes) to pass a bill in the senate...the 60 vote thing is about stopping a filibuster ...and filibusters are a good thing, to actually get a bill talked about (ie mr smith goes to washington)

why would you even say veto-proof...did Obama veto anything coming from the democrat controlled congress in the 2 years the democrats controlled everything

Old 12-03-2014, 04:10 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Um, just so you know, your article from 2013 is apparently out of date. A newer one in the same magazine (Forbes) has a different take on things today:

"Obama Outperforms Reagan On Jobs, Growth And Investing...

...Bob Deitrick: ”President Reagan has long been considered the best modern economic President. So we compared his performance dealing with the oil-induced recession of the 1980s with that of President Obama and his performance during this ‘Great Recession.’

“As this unemployment chart shows, President Obama’s job creation kept unemployment from peaking at as high a level as President Reagan, and promoted people into the workforce faster than President Reagan.

“President Obama has achieved a 6.1% unemployment rate in his sixth year, fully one year faster than President Reagan did. At this point in his presidency, President Reagan was still struggling with 7.1% unemployment, and he did not reach into the mid-low 6% range for another full year... "

Obama Outperforms Reagan On Jobs, Growth And Investing - Forbes

As I said earlier - Reagan didn't manage to get the UE rate consistantly down to "decent" (ie below 6%) level until his last year or so.

Ken

So because this person says so, unemployment would have gone much higher had Obama been president?

That's a nice example of wishful thinking but it's a long way from being fact.

“Now that ‘Boomers’ are retiring we are seeing the percentage of those seeking employment decline. This has nothing to do with job availability, and everything to do with a highly predictable aging demographic."

REALLY?

A-10. Unemployment rates by age, sex, and marital status, seasonally adjusted

Unemployment rates for age groups 18-19 and 20-24 are still in double digits!

In contrast, by 1988 even the 18-19 age group was under 10%.

As for those old farts leaving the workforce, their participation rate has never been higher than the 40.5% rate seen last year...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...JgBVQznFO_dWSA

Old 12-03-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why would you even say veto-proof...did Obama veto anything coming from the democrat controlled congress in the 2 years the democrats controlled everything
Of course not, its just the latest talking point to blame Republicans even though Democrats had complete control.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Oh hell I was supporting your argument that the economy wasnt done falling when obama was sworn into office
Yep, you proved it started growing after he was sworn in, not before. The argument I was responding to claimed it was recovering before it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies