Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 04:41 AM

603 posts, read 877,775 times

Advertisements

I have a legitimate question here, how will Obama's immigration executive action benefit the country? I don't consider myself racist, I appreciate how hard many of these undocumented immigrants work and understand why they want to come to America. At the same time, I just don't understand what good it does this country to not enforce its immigration laws.

1) I believe it is unfair to those of us, like many in my extended family, who came to this country legally. So many people have to have work visas or student visas and wait years to become citizens. This really just seems like a slap in the face to people who are currently trying to become citizens and natural citizens.
2) The majority of these people work low-income jobs which creates competition for work with struggling Americans.
3) The majority of these people rely heavily on government assistance.

The only benefits I can think of are: (a) additional tax revenue, which in my opinion does not outweigh the cons, and (b) political benefit for the Democratic party.

I view myself as a pretty unbiased, objective individual. I have supported both R and D candidates in my lifetime. One thing I've noticed during Obama's presidency is that nearly everything he does seems to have political benefits in mind. There have been many mistruths and lies given by him over the years. He always seems to give an explanation for his decisions that naive individuals will buy but cynics like myself do not believe, because he always seems to do things to gain a political advantage. Why didn't he announce this executive order before the midterm elections, why not after? He knew doing so would hurt his party at the polls. I've really got the feeling that his executive order is aimed squarely at political gain. He will (a) get more legal Hispanics to vote Democrat, (b) get the undocumented Hispanics to vote Democrat, and (c) create a situation that forces Republicans to find ways to block his executive action (e.g. defunding). Doing so will add to his mantra that Republicans are (i) obstructionists and (ii) anti-Immigrant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 05:36 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
I have a legitimate question here, how will Obama's immigration executive action benefit the country? I don't consider myself racist, I appreciate how hard many of these undocumented immigrants work and understand why they want to come to America. At the same time, I just don't understand what good it does this country to not enforce its immigration laws.

1) I believe it is unfair to those of us, like many in my extended family, who came to this country legally. So many people have to have work visas or student visas and wait years to become citizens. This really just seems like a slap in the face to people who are currently trying to become citizens and natural citizens.
2) The majority of these people work low-income jobs which creates competition for work with struggling Americans.
3) The majority of these people rely heavily on government assistance.

The only benefits I can think of are: (a) additional tax revenue, which in my opinion does not outweigh the cons, and (b) political benefit for the Democratic party.

I view myself as a pretty unbiased, objective individual. I have supported both R and D candidates in my lifetime. One thing I've noticed during Obama's presidency is that nearly everything he does seems to have political benefits in mind. There have been many mistruths and lies given by him over the years. He always seems to give an explanation for his decisions that naive individuals will buy but cynics like myself do not believe, because he always seems to do things to gain a political advantage. Why didn't he announce this executive order before the midterm elections, why not after? He knew doing so would hurt his party at the polls. I've really got the feeling that his executive order is aimed squarely at political gain. He will (a) get more legal Hispanics to vote Democrat, (b) get the undocumented Hispanics to vote Democrat, and (c) create a situation that forces Republicans to find ways to block his executive action (e.g. defunding). Doing so will add to his mantra that Republicans are (i) obstructionists and (ii) anti-Immigrant.
What makes you think Obama wants to 'benefit the country'? He wants to replace the followers he has lost with a new, adoring group of supporters.

For him, it has the added benefit of punishing the Millenials who no longer support him.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:41 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
First off Obama has bypassed congress less times per year than any president in the last 125 years.
Executive Orders

And after watching Obama's following speech, I realized Obama did the right thing bypassing congress on this one.

Immigrants have made America what it is. And its sad and un-American how republicans try to destroy America's long lived immigrant history, while they spin Obama's plan, and breed racism and hate against South Americans who wish to come to America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_nEbJxnPdg
They aren't "immigrants". They are law breaking illegal aliens. Learn to know the difference. WTH are you talking about? We allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year. The Republicans aren't opposed to that. We can't allow in every South American or any other foreigner that wants to come here. In fact Mexicans in other Latinos enjoy the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country by far. So you were saying? Stick your race card where the sun don't shine and this has nothing to do with hate. It's about keeping a legal process to come here and in reasonable numbers.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:37 AM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:

Immigrants have made America what it is. And its sad and un-American how republicans try to destroy America's long lived immigrant history,
I respectfully disagree with you.

I am German/Irish/Japanese/Hawaiian, since I have 25% Hawaiian blood in me, does it make me more qualified living in this country than the rest of the legal citizens? No, it does not. Legal citizens are legal citizens. The matter of the fact is that we are ALL here legally.

Just so you know, native Americans DID NOT form the United States. This nation was formed by colonists, not immigrants. If you truly examine the history, the statement of "you come from immigrants too" is superficial rhetorical BS.

Native Americans' ancestors came from somewhere else too if we want to be brutally honest, and not politically correct. We had internationally recognized borders and an immigration policy that is designed to protect American workers. Law must be enforced. Period.

Having said all that. Immigration control is the world-wide status quo.

The USA welcomes LEGAL immigrants from all over and world who have gone through the legal immigration process. Your bolded is not just a bad argument, it is an attempt to create hatred and division.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:24 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Dems own the Latino vote; Pubs stink on this issue too

Nonsense. The alternative that Republicans have in store for Latinos is far, far worse. Latinos are smart to run away from the bigoted GOP. President Obama means what he says and says what he means, and this is good for Latinos.

This is why DEMS have the Latino vote.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
If Latinos are gonna end up worse off, then why complain about it if you're not Latino?

If it's no skin off of my back, I don't worry about it.

The OP is actually afraid that they WON'T be worse off.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:54 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Nonsense. The alternative that Republicans have in store for Latinos is far, far worse. Latinos are smart to run away from the bigoted GOP. President Obama means what he says and says what he means, and this is good for Latinos.

This is why DEMS have the Latino vote.
Too funny, next time they have an eruption of Black on Brown violence maybe you can preach to them, my bet is that it will happen soon in California as it has happened in the past.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:06 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Ive repeatedly stated that two groups of people will be hurt the most by this:

1) Blacks
and
2) Naturalized and native born Hispanics. People from Puerto Rico and descendents of the Spanish settlers of Texas will face backlash the same as the Salvadoran or the Mexican who crossed the border last night.

Both tend to vote Democratic in large numbers. Will they learn their lesson now? Ive never understood how a Tejano, a Californo, or a Puerto Rican could shill for foreigners like these Dominicans or Guatemalans.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:15 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,655,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
They aren't "immigrants". They are law breaking illegal aliens. Learn to know the difference. WTH are you talking about? We allow in 1 million legal immigrants a year. The Republicans aren't opposed to that. We can't allow in every South American or any other foreigner that wants to come here. In fact Mexicans in other Latinos enjoy the highest quotas for legal immigration into our country by far. So you were saying? Stick your race card where the sun don't shine and this has nothing to do with hate. It's about keeping a legal process to come here and in reasonable numbers.
Good point.

But conservatives have known for years that illegals pick our produce, were conservatives complaining 10 years ago about illegals harvesting their lettuce, tomatoes, and cabbage? NO. Conservatives can use illegal immigrants in their unregulated capitalism, but liberals can't allow the conservatives illegal workers to become semi-citizens.

And if republicans truly cared about illegal immigration GW Bush would have done something about it (but he did not.)

This illegal immigrant issue is just like Obamacare, the corporate controlled republican party is using immigration to get their supporters mad at democrats, and the CEO's who control Fox/Rush have created a illegal immigrant army.

But republicans have always been OK with illegals picking their produce, republicans just don't want their produce pickers to have rights.

Old 11-24-2014, 12:41 PM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Good point.

But conservatives have known for years that illegals pick our produce, were conservatives complaining 10 years ago about illegals harvesting their lettuce, tomatoes, and cabbage? NO. Conservatives can use illegal immigrants in their unregulated capitalism, but liberals can't allow the conservatives illegal workers to become semi-citizens.

And if republicans truly cared about illegal immigration GW Bush would have done something about it (but he did not.)

This illegal immigrant issue is just like Obamacare, the corporate controlled republican party is using immigration to get their supporters mad at democrats, and the CEO's who control Fox/Rush have created a illegal immigrant army.

But republicans have always been OK with illegals picking their produce, republicans just don't want their produce pickers to have rights.
Conservatives want immigrants to have a path to citizenship, so long as they are coming here legally. Conservatives want a reformed, streamlined immigration process, and we want a secure border.

What is xenophobic about that?

There are thousands of people from other countries who are waiting to get the United States the legal way. It is unfair that they have to wait while others enjoy the benefits of American life simply because they broke the law to get here.

By the way, isn't that this myth already been debunked ? I've read somewhere on this forum that 40% - 60% of Illegal Immigrants Overstayed Visas. SO which one is it? Obviously, a good percentage of the illegals DO NOT have a sob story to share , do they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies