Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US and the West continue to push Democracy
Yes, it is the ideal 7 13.21%
No, not everyone is ready for it 36 67.92%
Other 10 18.87%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 05:52 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Translation: they are too stupid to know what's good for themselves so let the government or dictator decide.
Well the dictator thing worked better in Iraq than an invasion and attempt to force democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 05:54 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Democracy, or in our case a Republic, is the ideal. But in reality many countries in the world are not capable of sustaining that form of government or even wanting one. You cannot teach a pig to sing.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:54 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
This isn't as simple as yes or no. To claim that some places aren't ready for it is silly. Every place should really want a self-ruling government. In theory, it helps everyone. Sure, if politicians can get away with whatever they want, like they do here (which might be why the success rate of evangelical democracy isn't so promising...), then it won't work out.

The thing is, our 'democracy' isn't always that.

Democracy means the country is ruled by the people of that country. So often though, the US sticks around. That's not really self sufficient, is it? Having another country 'overseeing' (the extent of US presence varies from place to place; we still have troops in Germany as a result of WWI) their democracy is not self-ruling. Egypt is a perfect example. US diplomacy requires that should someone be removed form office, they must do so officially and peacefully. This is theoretically how any civilized democracy would conduct itself. But we didn't seem to care when an elected president was forced out of office, simply because we didn't like him either.

I'll just get right to the main point, if we want to promote democracy, let's be sure that's what's actually happening. Another country's well-being should NEVER be sacrificed for the political gain of a US politician, who probably shouldn't be in office anyway (I'm against pathological liars holding office, so you can imagine how displeased I am with every election). Spread legitimate democracy by giving power to the people, not a system.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:55 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Who ever thinks the US is pushing democracy in foreign policy is a simpleton.
The US foreign policy is dictated 100% by corporate profits and the desire to control natural resources worldwide.
Democracy! Give me a break, we do not have self determination here, the US government sure as hell does not want the people here or anywhere else to have self determination.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:56 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
What's really interesting from a purely economic standpoint is that liberals, by virtue of their actions, have ensured that the U.S. has to expand its presence and dominance or we collapse.

Think about the importance of the petro dollar, fiat currency, and how it all ties together. Liberals aren't called warmongers for nothing.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:08 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
What's really interesting from a purely economic standpoint is that liberals, by virtue of their actions, have ensured that the U.S. has to expand its presence and dominance or we collapse.

Think about the importance of the petro dollar, fiat currency, and how it all ties together. Liberals aren't called warmongers for nothing.
Then there was Iraq.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:41 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,389 times
It's hypocritical for us to promote something we ourselves fail to adhere to.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:43 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,593,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinynot View Post
I marked other too. I don't see how the U.S. can impose democracy on a country when we don't even have a democracy here in the U.S. Laws that are imposed on us are put in place by representatives which is not what the citizens want necessarily. An example: When Senator Inhoff voted against renewing the Farm Bill that gave monetary payments to those whose crops had failed, usually due to drought I was aggravated that an Oklahoman voted to not help farmers. Oklahoma is an agriculture driven state. Equipment is extremely expensive but is necessary. People helped in the harvest of peanuts for peanut hay for cattle as well as jobs for a farmer.
There were jobs albeit seasonal, for people to grade peanuts. Peanut Butter was a staple on food give away programs. The Farm Bill was important to Oklahoma people. If the people could have voted, I believe it would have been different on that bill. Other crops were also affected by the Farm Bill.

I seem to have gotten off-topic. Yet, that is an example of democratic voting. I also don't have a lot of respect for the cheating in voting that has been demonstrated in our. ""democracy".

I see the U.S. as more imperialistic, so why does government think they can create democracy when we do not have one.
Fully agree with your comment.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
The United States should promote democracy around the world...And please don't bother me with nonsense about being a democracy vs being a republic...stop it.

It's HOW you promote democracy that matters.

You promote it by example...not through militarism.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:03 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Then there was Iraq.

So Bush signed an EO or was there support from both parties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies