Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2014, 05:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm 28 and have never seen the country so racially divided.
You haven't seen much because you have been an adult only a few years.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:26 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Sharpton and Jackson are like pimps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One reason I don't listen to him. I don't pay any attention to Al Sharpton either. I keep my head clear of these jingoist types.

Old 12-06-2014, 01:27 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Alot of those threads get locked because posters start making incendiary comments about Blacks at large. It turns into flame wars. It has nothing to do with "critiquing Blacks". It has alot to do with venting anger and resentment towards Blacks.

As for ME, when it comes to critiquing, I critique the individuals who actually need to be critiqued. This is one reason I go after the underclass segment of the Black population, and not the Black population as a whole. The Black people who have their act together are not the ones who are part of the problem.
This is a time where more and more non-blacks are showing themselves, their true colors that is.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:24 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Before Obama was elected, Limbaugh stated that race relations would deteriorate under Obama. Have you ever seen the country so racially divided?

I wasn't alive in the 60s and don't remember the Rodney King riots, but I've never seen the country this torn apart by race, and I think Ferguson finally blew the lid off the pressure cooker.

It's been a steady drumbeat of racial issues the last few years. The Skip Gates arrest outside his home a couple years back, Trayvon Martin, and now Ferguson. In each one of those cases, the media and the "advocates" seem to want to drum things up and get people upset. It's certainly worked.

Do you think race relations are going to continue to deteriorate? I'd say this is the worst it's been since the 60s.
The President, Eric Holder, and people like Al (the charlatan) Sharpton, as well as the media, keep fanning the flames of racism. But most people are sensible, and not the racists that people like Obama, Holder et al want us to believe.

Obama, Holder, and Sharpton should be jailed!

Old 12-06-2014, 09:17 PM

267 posts, read 311,239 times
A big part of the answer is, a lot of people have been taught to be racist and separate themselves from others. Others are more comfortable being around others who are like them. When you're on the outside looking in, you have a tendency to formulate your own opinions about a race or culture. Instead of trying to understand, people tend to take what little bit they may know or have seen and assume all people of that race or culture are like that.

I've come to the conclusion that people will always hate and fear people who are different from them. It's always been that way- look at the history of civilization with the countless wars and atrocities. And we are SUPPOSED to be learning and evolving morally as humans. There is something fundamentally wrong with people.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:15 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Sharpton and Jackson are like pimps.
Most of the decent Black leaders have either been killed or bought off.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
OP, I am 68 and I can tell you this country has been way more racially divided than it is today. I grew up at a time when human beings were divided in buses, restaurants, stores and most neighborhoods not to mention schools and jobs because of color. Do you not think these were racial divisions?

People were killed for demanding equal rights. This is nothing like the 60's. I was there.

Today there is plenty of discrimination there is no doubt but we are seeing it as it unfolds whereas in the past it was more confined to the immediate surroundings in which it took place. The 60's was the first decade in which we saw uprisings on our TV sets. The inequities could no longer be denied. What you are seeing today is people making use of the outgrowth of a very sophisticated and fairly new media that shows every bit of every event people just a few decades ago were unable to view and therefore unable to know about. Some of this use is honest and some is not.

We must be careful in judging what we see. It is not all truth. From whom are we taking our truths? What kind of media? Who is telling us what we are being told? Are we looking at electronic devices, print, Internet feeds or are we actually participating in what's going on?

You are too young to remember the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago. I am amused that to this day I will have people of my age tell me what happened there. Only it's funny because they are usually wrong. I was there. They were glued in front of their TV sets getting the blow by blow from the news people. Much of what they saw on TV while it wasn't exactly staged (although some of the reporters asked the more colorful protesters to act up in front of the camera) was only a part of what was really happening.

You get what I am saying? Take everything you see with a huge grain of salt. Look at situations from all angles. At 28, I don't think you can really judge whether or not this country is seeing its greatest amount of racism ever for no other reason that you haven't lived here that long.

Another thing, I would like to suggest you take a look at the way the Chinese were treated when they first immigrated to the US as indentured workers which was pretty much a polite word for slaves or the Japanese internment camps during WWII. How many people at the time living on the opposite side of the country knew about that kind of racism? On the whole, racism isn't worse in America today, it's just more exposed thanks to modern technology.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:34 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
OP, I am 68 and I can tell you this country has been way more racially divided than it is today. I grew up at a time when human beings were divided in buses, restaurants, stores and most neighborhoods not to mention schools and jobs because of color. Do you not think these were racial divisions?

People were killed for demanding equal rights. This is nothing like the 60's. I was there.

Today there is plenty of discrimination there is no doubt but we are seeing it as it unfolds whereas in the past it was more confined to the immediate surroundings in which it took place. The 60's was the first decade in which we saw uprisings on our TV sets. The inequities could no longer be denied. What you are seeing today is people making use of the outgrowth of a very sophisticated and fairly new media that shows every bit of every event people just a few decades ago were unable to view and therefore unable to know about. Some of this use is honest and some is not.

We must be careful in judging what we see. It is not all truth. From whom are we taking our truths? What kind of media? Who is telling us what we are being told? Are we looking at electronic devices, print, Internet feeds or are we actually participating in what's going on?

You are too young to remember the 1968 Democratic Convention in Chicago. I am amused that to this day I will have people of my age tell me what happened there. Only it's funny because they are usually wrong. I was there. They were glued in front of their TV sets getting the blow by blow from the news people. Much of what they saw on TV while it wasn't exactly staged (although some of the reporters asked the more colorful protesters to act up in front of the camera) was only a part of what was really happening.

You get what I am saying? Take everything you see with a huge grain of salt. Look at situations from all angles. At 28, I don't think you can really judge whether or not this country is seeing its greatest amount of racism ever for no other reason that you haven't lived here that long.

Another thing, I would like to suggest you take a look at the way the Chinese were treated when they first immigrated to the US as indentured workers which was pretty much a polite word for slaves or the Japanese internment camps during WWII. How many people at the time living on the opposite side of the country knew about that kind of racism? On the whole, racism isn't worse in America today, it's just more exposed thanks to modern technology.
All historical fact, that society was very divided back in the 50s and 60s. I've even pointed out that we aren't any more divided than before. We are just more aware of the things that go on thanks to technology.

And I checked something. The OP hasn't been on this thread since 30 November.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You haven't seen much because you have been an adult only a few years.
And apparently have not studies history in school, or had teachers that ignored such topics as the anti-German riots in the 1850s, various riots in the civil war and reconstruction period, many race riots in 1919, Cicero in 1951, and since I have been around, Harlem riots in 1964, Watts in 1964, several others 1964-67 just before and during the Black Panther era, Rodney King Riots in 1992, and more. Despite these recent small & mostly peaceful protests, it's actually far less racially divided than I have experienced in my lifetime, and I am seeing far more diversity than ever before, it just happens to be more Asians than blacks around here, more Hispanics in the southwest. I have not seen the country more economically divided, however.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Yep; the Op just was alive then. Most Americans see the conflict on TV ;look around; then look back to see if it occurred in some foreign country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies