Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 05:03 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times

Advertisements

One way or the other we will pay for road usage.Nothing is free. But it not just hybrid or electric facing this ; by usage which is fair. Like everything it seems people want roads fixed but someone else to pay for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 05:04 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So the purchaser of a new hybrid gets a tax credit of $7500-$10000 towards the vehicle purchase. On top of that,the fedguv provides billions of dollars in subsidies to favored industries involved in the production of said vehicles and technologies in order to promote their use. Now it wants to enforce a tax on the users of said vehicles in order to compensate for the gas tax they cant confiscate from their use?
Create problem, solve problem, pat self on back, such is the circular idiocy of government.
The hybrid tax credit was phased out years ago. Only hybrid plug-ins and electrics qualify now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Do you think you, as a driver using publicly funded roads, shouldn't pony up to pay an equitable amount for those roads?
I already do. I have to commute mainly on a tollroad so I pay the same tolls as everyone else does.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:06 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
That is stupid.................and unfair. Electrical cars are suppose to save the enviroment not rape our wallers. I mean seriously why bother.
H hahahahahaha @ liberals not wanting to pay their fair share to maintain our roads. Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Old 11-27-2014, 05:08 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
So what if someone owns a conventional vehicle but doesn't drive very often? Does this Republican think such people should also be punished for not buying gasoline?
If they aren't driving then they aren't putting wear and tear on the road. This is about roads people.i know it is hard for liberals to grasp things but let's spell it out R-O-A-D-S ROADS!

Old 11-27-2014, 05:16 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Everyone needs to pay their share. <WOW>

The change would raise the price at the pump by about 5 cents per gallon, said Gottlieb. The typical driver would pay about $27 a year more in gas taxes because of it, he said.

The tax increase would be bigger for diesel fuel, rising by about 10 cents a gallon. That's aimed at having semitrailers and other heavy vehicles pay more because they put more wear on roads, Gottlieb said. Owners of passenger vehicles that use diesel fuel would be able to claim a credit to offset some of the fuel taxes they would pay.

The annual vehicle registration fee would remain flat, at $75 a year. But those who drive hybrid and electric vehicles would have to pay an additional fee of $50 a year. That is meant to ensure those drivers pay their share for roads because they use less fuel and thus pay less in gas taxes, Gottlieb said.

DOT: New fees, tax hikes totaling $750 million needed for roads
This is not what we need. They should simply raise the gas tax. Yes there would be a redistribution of wealth from people with gas-guzzlers to those with greener cars, but that's a lot easier politically than a carbon tax!

Old 11-27-2014, 05:30 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post
That is stupid.................and unfair. Electrical cars are suppose to save the enviroment not rape our wallers. I mean seriously why bother.
Pppphhhtttt!

I make my diesel fuel from cooking oil thereby reducing my fuel tax to zero.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:38 PM

779 posts, read 632,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So you're scrapping you whole "by the mileage" idea then?
Sure why not? Its decent in theory but would take work to get it up and running. I thing out would be fair but too much work for some states to set up.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:19 PM

32,057 posts, read 15,052,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Everyone needs to pay their share. <WOW>

The change would raise the price at the pump by about 5 cents per gallon, said Gottlieb. The typical driver would pay about $27 a year more in gas taxes because of it, he said.

The tax increase would be bigger for diesel fuel, rising by about 10 cents a gallon. That's aimed at having semitrailers and other heavy vehicles pay more because they put more wear on roads, Gottlieb said. Owners of passenger vehicles that use diesel fuel would be able to claim a credit to offset some of the fuel taxes they would pay.

The annual vehicle registration fee would remain flat, at $75 a year. But those who drive hybrid and electric vehicles would have to pay an additional fee of $50 a year. That is meant to ensure those drivers pay their share for roads because they use less fuel and thus pay less in gas taxes, Gottlieb said.

DOT: New fees, tax hikes totaling $750 million needed for roads
We have a Volt and have no problem with that fee. I don't know why anyone would. Electric cars save you so much in gas. I think we get about 250 miles to the gallon. And our electric bill is not that much higher.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:39 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,585,979 times
I could see it for electric-only vehicles, they pay no gas tax, which is meant to maintain the roads their vehicles are wearing out.

Hybrids, hum, questionable????????????

Old 11-27-2014, 10:42 PM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
My 1992 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham with a 5L, V8 engine, and 5500 pound curb weight got 26 Highway.
Not quite, it got 15 city/ 23 highway. What's so impressive about that?

Gas Mileage of 1992 Vehicles by Cadillac

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I thought smaller cars/engines were intended to get better fuel economy.
They do.

A regular 2014 civic gets 30/39. That's double for city.
The hybrid gets 44/47. That's triple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies