Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 01:24 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,902,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Why is the 12 year black kid dead in seconds and this gun toting old white man still alive 40 minutes later?

Tense encounter between open-carry advocate and Kalamazoo police detailed in recordings, reports | MLive.com

Did the old man ever point the gun at anyone?

I do believe that the cops took the wrong approach on the Rice shooting. It seems to me they should have parked at a distance and then addressed Rice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Sorry but that is untrue. Given I have a drawn weapon pointed at the center of mass I can easily put two or three rounds into the guy before he can get his weapon on target.

But so you agree the cops can simply shoot down empty handed twelve year olds if they see a hand twitch? Exactly what sort of a standard are you proposing? The mere rumor of a gun sufficient to kill?
The gun was in his waistband and he was reaching for it. How long would you wait before firing? Does not matter much the age or size of an armed individual.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:27 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Did the old man ever point the gun at anyone?
When the cops got to where Tamir Rice was he wasn't pointing anything at anybody - he was sitting at a table alone, nobody else anywhere near him, doing nothing.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
When the cops got to where Tamir Rice was he wasn't pointing anything at anybody - he was sitting at a table alone, nobody else anywhere near him, doing nothing.
Watch the video. He got up and started walking as the police car came up. He then made the fatal mistake of reaching for his gun.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:29 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,561,618 times
Quote:
Sorry but that is untrue. Given I have a drawn weapon pointed at the center of mass I can easily put two or three rounds into the guy before he can get his weapon on target.

But so you agree the cops can simply shoot down empty handed twelve year olds if they see a hand twitch? Exactly what sort of a standard are you proposing? The mere rumor of a gun sufficient to kill?
Could you really? I doubt that you have been in that position to make that judgment. It is totally different to say you could do such a thing and actually doing it. If you have done son, you by your own standards have declared yourself to be guilty of murder. How about it?

Old 11-27-2014, 01:31 PM

74 posts, read 67,745 times
Quote:

That's the idea......and you'll live to tell.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:32 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,561,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
But witnesses prior to the incident say that he had been pointing his weapon at passing people and vehicles. I guess that doesn't count to you.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:33 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,086,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturdy Oaks View Post
There's one other option guys.......but it's kind of risky as "they" are pretty rare.

Sniper shoots gun right out of criminals hands! - YouTube
I'm sure it's policy not to take long range shots in residential subdivisions where stray bullets can kill innocents.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:35 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
But witnesses prior to the incident say that he had been pointing his weapon at passing people and vehicles. I guess that doesn't count to you.
I don't need to hear witnesses - I see him doing it on the video.

Clearly the kid was acting criminally and needed to have a serious chat with his parents, the cops, the district attorney's office, and a judge. I'll even comment that had the blurred victim at the beginning of the video shot and killed the kid in response to having felt his life was in danger, I'd take no issue with that.

But my problem is that when the cops do get there, he's sitting alone at a table with nobody nearby, doing nothing - and had been for several minutes. I don't understand why the cops drove straight up to him and shot him immediately under those circumstances.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:36 PM

74 posts, read 67,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
I'm sure it's policy not to take long range shots in residential subdivisions where stray bullets can kill innocents.
The shooter is capable of hitting a 1" bull over and over and over again at distances out to 1000 yards. The only miss is the one you don't fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies