Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 12:40 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,796,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
In all of your posts.

should be in everyone's

Old 11-28-2014, 01:09 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Anyone is in danger of being shot if approached by an officer. Officers are simply members of your community and they have access to and are influenced by all media and social parameters that also influence you. Perhaps more so they tend to red flag all of the reports of officers being shot nationwide. So when they stop you they are on red alert and kinda trigger happy. It keeps them alive longer. An officer that becomes too comfortable is in danger. Some of them know and understand this fact. It is the times we live in and that will not change. A "citizen" in the public can improve their survival if they too understand the situation and are very very careful how they move, body language, speak, etc.
There's been a sudden increase the last few years in unnecessary shootings by police, nationwide, though. Something is driving this phenomenon. According to some reports, it's connected to personnel reductions in police forces.

http://prospect.org/article/why-are-...innocents-rise

http://www.kpho.com/story/25012718/a...ction-in-force

Old 11-28-2014, 03:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theropod View Post
White people are disposable I guess.
I protest!!

Old 11-28-2014, 03:51 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Dead black thug will always trump dead white thug among lefties.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:52 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There's been a sudden increase the last few years in unnecessary shootings by police, nationwide, though. Something is driving this phenomenon. According to some reports, it's connected to personnel reductions in police forces.

Why Are Police Shootings of Innocents on the Rise?

Professor: Officer-involved shootings tied to reduction in force - CBS 5 - KPHO
I was surprised to learn a few months ago that most police officers are alone. In many departments, only trainees travel with a partner.

We've been used to seeing TV shows with two cops in the squad car. Apparently, that is no longer the norm.

I suspect this would leave an officer feeling more vulnerable. Without someone to have your back, someone to say, "hold it a minute,"... the stress response is more likely to kick in resulting in unnecessary shootings.

Old 11-28-2014, 04:56 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Not at all. It is a false equivalency.

Over 50% of individuals encountered by a black person in any given day are white.
Less than 3% of individuals encountered by a white person in any given day are black.

But you think its appropriate to assume that with such high black-white encounter rates and such low white-black encounter rates, that the "racial motivation" factor is equal?

That's illogical and ignores basic math. If a black man is going to commit a crime, there is a good chance the victim is white.
This must be some new math.

Old 11-28-2014, 05:23 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,424,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
In order for their to be outrage someone would have to care first. Usually that is a family member or close friend of the victim. If they don't care nobody else will. Who is to blame for their apathy?

Old 11-28-2014, 08:16 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Well, he does look like a thug with the cap on backwards... But ya know, this was probably an actual accident considering these cases happen far less frequently than the white cop shooting an unarmed black guy (or black child).

Old 11-28-2014, 08:20 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgood0192 View Post
Im sorry, there is nothing to get. Like you said this story is not nationwide news, if whoever feels like it should be nationwide news should make it nationwide news. Mike Brown, Trayvon Martin, and any other Black person nationwide news story got to that level because the black community came together to make it news. That is what I am saying do you get that? Anyone who thinks this story should be nationwide news has that right to do so, but I feel that it shouldnt be framed as not being nationwide news compared to a black person that went through the same thing. Any life lost is tragic for whatever reason. I was speaking to the sarcastic statement that :white guys are disposable i guess: The fact that this is not nationwide news doesnt mean that the life was disposable....the fact that the person who shot the bullet will get away with it is what makes the life disposable...THAT is my point.
I do understand the point that you're making. I think in the M.B. case, with him going for the cop's weapon, if he wasn't shot, then it would have been a thug killing an unarmed white cop.

Whenever I hear about a shooting I always say a little prayer that the two involved are the same race. Spent a long time in the Memphis area.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:11 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
What is the motivation for thread's like this?

The media didn't pick this up and run with it, nor did a bunch of erroneous info get out to fan the flames, so no - it is the same issue. So you should be made at the media.

I don't know who the white equivalent of Jesse and Al are, so should you be mad at Glenn Beck and Ted Nugent for not being there?

There's video and apparently police procedure was followed, so there is no "story" here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies