Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 07:37 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,173,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Dude, I don't even remember you before today.

Stop playing.
Ok. Sure you don't.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:57 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok then... You need your car worked on and they guy is wearing his pants halfway down his butt is wearing so much bling you wonder how he carries it. How many of you would had your car keys over?

said waitress dye part of their hare orange or try to fool us into thinking she is blonde, fingernails so long they curl (ugh the nastiness under those nails), belly hang in out, ... So who of you want them serving your food?

If that's how you want to dress, go for it.. dress the way you want, I just am not doing business with you.
Seriously, you are giving me the image, when I was a child, about the plumber who came to our house. lol But what does it matter if their hair or fingernails weren't to your liking.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:57 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,920 times
There are some people that will denigrate a black person no matter how the person is dressed. We were riding with my MIL ( White, born and raised in Bama) and were stopped at a light. A well dressed Black man was crossing the street in front of us and she casually said, "Well, he certainly thinks he is something. I wonder how many drugs he had to sell to buy that suit?"

We were in the business district in Huntsville, AL and my Son told me that the man was just crossing the street in a nice suit; talking on his phone and minding his own business - but, to my MIL he was nothing but a Black drug dealer who thought too much of himself.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:19 AM

59,083 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, I know I damn sure wouldn't take it calmly.

Especially because I dress far better than most (if not all) whites that I know . I work reasonably hard and I respect you if you show me respect.

Disrespect will be reciprocal.
"Especially because I dress far better than most (if not all) whites that I know"

Maybe YOU should find new friends.

Does you arm hurt from slapping your self on the back all the time?

Old 12-01-2014, 08:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Especially because I dress far better than most (if not all) whites that I know"

Maybe YOU should find new friends.

Does you arm hurt from slapping your self on the back all the time?
Yeah.

And I have enough friends.

Old 12-01-2014, 08:40 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think most people like to be told what to do, especially when others don't know what they have been through.

I personally (key word: personally) hate those minorities who offering tips to another minority group how to act, how to dress, how to make better choices in life in order to be just a Model minority.

Everybody should just mind his or her own business. Problem solved.
I rarely agree with you, but I agree with you on this. People do not like being told what to do when others don't have the slightest clue what has gone on in their lives.

To insinuate that black people do not dress up well to go to job interviews is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I've gone on plenty of job interviews throughout my life, and not once have I ever seen anyone, of any color, not make the effort to look very presentable.

There's another thread on here about how it all starts at home. It does all start at home. Plenty of very poor families still manage to raise respectable children, who go to school, work hard, and get good grades. Being in poverty is not an instant excuse not to do as well as you can, BUT, it does make it harder for people when it comes time to get a higher education. If there's no money, and there's no scholarship, even a community college is out of reach for some. That's what some people in this country deny. They don't get it.

Maybe if we stopped concentrating on the color of someone's skin, stopped concentrating on whatever "group" they belong to, and concentrated on each individual person for their actions, demeanor, attitudes, etc, we could get somewhere.

Some people simply have it much harder than others and some of those others refuse to see that or accept that. If someone doesn't succeed, it does not "ALWAYS" mean that they are lazy or stupid.

We also need to start holding the media accountable for their part in all of this. They go out of their way to continue the divide in this country.

The perception is not always reality. People rely far too much on perception as the truth; the reality is, perception is very often very wrong.

The problems start at home, when the person is a child. The problems continue because we, as a society, seem to find some kind of sick pleasure in those problems continuing. That way, we can sit comfortably in our homes, and smugly make statements about how lazy and stupid people are, instead of taking the time to evaluate each situation, and evaluate each person as an individual. Yes, some people ARE lazy and stupid, of course. Yes some people do not value anyone, not even themselves, and have no problem killing others. Yes there are racists in every single race. That doesn't mean it's ALL.

I'm no more at fault for anything whites do to anyone else than any black person is for any other black person in this country. It shouldn't be labeled, "black on black crime" or "white on black crime" or "black on white crime", it should just be labeled, "crime".

Old 12-01-2014, 08:53 AM

39,229 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I rarely agree with you, but I agree with you on this. People do not like being told what to do when others don't have the slightest clue what has gone on in their lives.

To insinuate that black people do not dress up well to go to job interviews is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I've gone on plenty of job interviews throughout my life, and not once have I ever seen anyone, of any color, not make the effort to look very presentable.

There's another thread on here about how it all starts at home. It does all start at home. Plenty of very poor families still manage to raise respectable children, who go to school, work hard, and get good grades. Being in poverty is not an instant excuse not to do as well as you can, BUT, it does make it harder for people when it comes time to get a higher education. If there's no money, and there's no scholarship, even a community college is out of reach for some. That's what some people in this country deny. They don't get it.

Maybe if we stopped concentrating on the color of someone's skin, stopped concentrating on whatever "group" they belong to, and concentrated on each individual person for their actions, demeanor, attitudes, etc, we could get somewhere.

Some people simply have it much harder than others and some of those others refuse to see that or accept that. If someone doesn't succeed, it does not "ALWAYS" mean that they are lazy or stupid.

We also need to start holding the media accountable for their part in all of this. They go out of their way to continue the divide in this country.

The perception is not always reality. People rely far too much on perception as the truth; the reality is, perception is very often very wrong.

The problems start at home, when the person is a child. The problems continue because we, as a society, seem to find some kind of sick pleasure in those problems continuing. That way, we can sit comfortably in our homes, and smugly make statements about how lazy and stupid people are, instead of taking the time to evaluate each situation, and evaluate each person as an individual. Yes, some people ARE lazy and stupid, of course. Yes some people do not value anyone, not even themselves, and have no problem killing others. Yes there are racists in every single race. That doesn't mean it's ALL.

I'm no more at fault for anything whites do to anyone else than any black person is for any other black person in this country. It shouldn't be labeled, "black on black crime" or "white on black crime" or "black on white crime", it should just be labeled, "crime".
well, I always say that we are who we are through experiences. Many people don't agree with me because they haven't gone through what i have gone through.

I grew up overseas as a Mixed American girl. I am mixed German/Irish/Japanese/Hawaiian and I don't see "race" the way most people do. I don't view America as evil as most people do either. I have a tremendous love for us military . Long story but I believe I have my reasons to. I was born here in Oklahoma, and America gives me a sense of belonging.. This is something a lot of people will never "get" because a lot of people take country for granted.

I lost a boyfriend to suicide and I know what church people say about suicide.

I think I have some extreme views but at the very least, I know I cannot judge others because I have been judged all my life.

and honestly, I rarely screaming "racism" but model minority is the most racist term I have ever heard. And it blows my mind that some minority groups are happy just being the model minority.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 12-01-2014 at 09:08 AM..

Old 12-01-2014, 11:18 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok then... You need your car worked on and they guy is wearing his pants halfway down his butt is wearing so much bling you wonder how he carries it. How many of you would had your car keys over?

said waitress dye part of their hare orange or try to fool us into thinking she is blonde, fingernails so long they curl (ugh the nastiness under those nails), belly hang in out, ... So who of you want them serving your food?

If that's how you want to dress, go for it.. dress the way you want, I just am not doing business with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Seriously, you are giving me the image, when I was a child, about the plumber who came to our house. lol But what does it matter if their hair or fingernails weren't to your liking.
The area under your fingernails are one of the dirtiest part of the body. It is gross. I wouldn't want that person serving me food.

You can do what you want to your body but I don't have to buy your product or service.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:36 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Martin Luther King and Malcolm X dressed respectably. Did that help them?

Malcolm X was killed by his own people.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:12 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,186,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
A black just killed a black but if your white shut your mouth cause talking about it is racist rhetoric.

What Does 'Black-On-Black Crime' Have to Do With Ferguson?*|*Julia Craven
Sentence structure is difficult to decipher. I think you are saying that it is racist rhetoric for white people to discuss blacks on black murders. This has nothing to do with your title so I am not sure what point you are trying to make???

Anyway, here is an article on the Communications Director of the Republican Congressman from Tennessee and her comments about the way the Presidents daughters were dressed. GOP Staffer to Obama's Teenage Daughters: "Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at a bar."

She posted the following on her FaceBook page:
"Dear Sasha and Malia, I get you're both in those awful teen years, but you're a part of the First Family, try showing a little class. At least respect the part you play. Then again your mother and father don'€™t respect their positions very much, or the nation for that matter, so I'€™m guessing you'€™re coming up a little short in the good role model€™ department. Nevertheless, stretch yourself. Rise to the occasion. Act like being in the White House matters to you. Dress like you deserve respect, not a spot at a bar. And certainly don't make faces during televised public events."

Is this what you are talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies