Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should 3D printed guns be banned?
Yes. It's a major threat to society. 16 30.19%
No. Guns don't kill people, period. 37 69.81%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:36 PM

122 posts, read 96,467 times

Advertisements

I voted ban but the truth is that the US can't even control the bans they already made. And they aren't controlling the sale of the illegal guns either.
The only real control is if people know what will happen if they have illegal guns or use them illegaly.
Printers can make lots of interesting things and they can make spare parts on the Space Station but I don't believe they will ever make a quality hunting rifle or a quality weapon for home defense.
And don't forget, the NSA is watching the internet so anybody searching for open source files about gun designs will be in their files.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 01:15 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Some of you may heard by now that there are these things called 3D printers that allow you to print almost ANYTHING from your home. You connect it to your computer and print anything. It has been projected that the majority of Americans will own a 3D printer in 10 years from now. But there is no one in your home to conduct background checks or criminal investigations. Therefore, anyone can print a metal gun from their home, complete with bullets, and go out and kill someone.

Here is a video showing what a 3D printer is in general, in case you have no idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qPW9U5P4cM

Here is a video documentary on 3D printed guns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DconsfGsXyA

What do you think? Should 3D printed guns be banned? Or the files that have the gun designs or something? I mean, if it's as simple as getting a computer file of a gun and just printing the gun at home, all hell will break lose!
Yes, yes, ban them. Also, we should put cameras in every living room in America where some gov't employee will be watching 24hrs a day to enforce this otherwise unenforceable ban as well.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:40 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentStone View Post
Unless there is a way to regulate who prints a gun,
then yes they should be illegal
So you're saying if there is no way to regulate who prints a gun, then it should be illegal? If there is no way to regulate it, then how do we make it illegal?........
Quote:
The whole point of having guns regulated by the law is to keep them out
of peoples hands that would use them in a crime of passion, among other
things.
20,000 gun laws already on the books nationwide, and we still have 12,000 deaths a year. How's that regulation working out?
Quote:
If people can just by pass laws for getting gun then why does it matter
to have those laws?
Very true. This is what gun advocates have been saying all along, yet some people are so intellectually bankrupt that they think the way to improve failing gun laws is to pass another law. Sad really.
Quote:
I understand that printed guns dont last as long as manufactured guns but they
can still kill.
So can a rock..... Good luck regulating access to those.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:57 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,593,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Then don't complain if someone is killed because his 3D gun looked like the real thing.
I never complained about the killings, killing is a part of our culture, we are a violent society, why do we need guns first place, if we do need them to defend ourselves and properties then what's the point banning anything, we are free people and free to kill each other, accidentally or purposely.

Old 12-03-2014, 06:24 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volts View Post

I don't think the mall ninjas are qualified.....IMO
lol

Old 12-03-2014, 06:41 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times
Slick commercial videos, but I fail to see what they have to do with building a 1911 in a home machine shop. While the pistol may be technically difficult to fabricate, it is not impossible. For one thing, a home builder may not care to incorporate all the safety features that the original has. That alone would simplify the build.
Keep in mind that SOMEBODY (John Browning?) built the prototype BY HAND in the late 1800's!

Old 12-03-2014, 06:46 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Of course the Russians know this stuff. So do the Chinese, the North and South Koreans, the Japanese, the Indians and Pakistanis, the Arabs, the Nigerians, and all of Europe.

New technology always comes with two faces, one smiling and the other frowning. As it should. There is a danger in every new benefit and an equal reward. Which is stronger depends on the wisdom of the moment, and any serious advance is always full of equal fear and hope, universal human elements that run us all, wherever we are and whoever we are.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:37 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volts View Post
Remember, the NOVICE computer geeks still think a GLOCK will pass through airport security. LMAO
Of course it will. Haven't you seen Die Hard 2?

Old 12-03-2014, 08:12 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
3D printers are already somewhat affordable (starting at $399 on Amazon as we speak) and will only become more affordable over time. And the technology will continue to improve. Mark my words. In 10 years, Americans will be able to create guns at home for free, with bullets and everything.
How much 3D printing have you done?

I've only printed a dozen or so items but until metal printing progresses, I wouldn't want to create a barrel for actual use. A fully printed 3D gun from ABS plastic would likely blow up in the face of the user.

Now printing a lower for an AR-15? sure it's already been done.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:40 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
No - guns don't kill people period?

Seriously?

that is my choice?

Okay - I can't vote on that one. Its like "how often do you beat your wife"

reality is that guns will be 3D printed. I'm not for banning that technology (nor is there a real way to ban it other than honor system ban)

but what would be the best course of action is to make sure that either the ammo OR gunpowder OR material to make 3D printed stuff is trackable. That is all you need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies