Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 09:48 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Wake up and look around you. Many people are abandoning auto ownership and using public transportation and short term rental organizations like zipcar. The suburbs in many cities languish while the center urban area thrives. The 60s car culture is dying. That's reality, Francis.
I see no one abandoning auto ownership and using public transportation. Your problem is, that because it maybe happening in major metropolitan areas, that doesn't reflect every other city/town. That is reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
No, I said that. 400 square feet is more than enough. If you want more, work harder.
It has nothing to do with working harder, it has everything to do with buying the amount of space that is needed...Not buy a 4000 SQ ft place, and talk down to people, and tell them to buy a tiny house, and tell them they have to give up their vehicle(s), stop being a hypocrite. Try practicing what you preach, so people take you seriously.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:00 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
The proper price is what is necessary to produce a transportation system that achieve what government wants
And there we have it "what government wants".

The DC mindset.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:37 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I thought conservatives were all about personal responsibility? If they made the choice to move to a place where they were dependent on the automobile, they should be able to deal with the consequences.
That's exactly correct.

Quote:
Of course, some of this is the government's fault for building too many roads, and not supporting enough public transit to be a viable alternative to the car in most places.
I do agree that more public transportation, or more routes, would be better, especially for those who live in rural areas. I'm not sure how that is the Fed gov's fault, and not local gov...which eventually boils down to: the people who vote and decide they don't want such things...because unlike in NYC, most people have this psychological thing about taking public transportation. They just do not want to do it.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:16 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,995,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
I see no one abandoning auto ownership and using public transportation. Your problem is, that because it maybe happening in major metropolitan areas, that doesn't reflect every other city/town. That is reality.
Major metropolitan areas lead the country. Dogpatch doesn't lead in many things, but eventually follows the lead of major cities.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookb4youcross View Post
It has nothing to do with working harder, it has everything to do with buying the amount of space that is needed...Not buy a 4000 SQ ft place, and talk down to people, and tell them to buy a tiny house, and tell them they have to give up their vehicle(s), stop being a hypocrite. Try practicing what you preach, so people take you seriously.
I ride the bus and subway all the time although we own three cars. We just don't use them much.

I have lived in much less than 400 square feet. Stop complaining and get a job. Then you can buy what you want.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And there we have it "what government wants".

The DC mindset.
Wake up, 90% of what you buy is affected to government decisions.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Major metropolitan areas lead the country. Dogpatch doesn't lead in many things, but eventually follows the lead of major cities.
Sounds like "DC fantasy substituted reality" to me. Try being a realist for once, no other place wants to be like Chicago, New York, Los Angeles, and other liberal crime ridden crap holes.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I ride the bus and subway all the time although we own three cars. We just don't use them much.

I have lived in much less than 400 square feet. Stop complaining and get a job. Then you can buy what you want.
Yet, you were calling people what, for having single occupancy vehicles? I am not complaining, nor does it have anything to do with a job, ( that is deflecting in hopes you will strike a nerve, and provoke an emotional response to your illogical thoughts ) I am pointing out your blatant hypocrisies!

Old 12-09-2014, 01:12 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Wake up, 90% of what you buy is affected to government decisions.
Which most freedom loving people see as a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies