Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Always going after the middle and lower classes. It makes no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 07:47 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The gas tax is regressive, i.e. the poorer you are, the higher percentage you pay. Unsurprisingly, liberals are all in favor of that.

If a progressive gas tax were feasible liberals would create one.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:14 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I have a much better idea than that. How about we end subsidies to all companies and move to a flat tax.

Why do you only want to go after oil company subsidies?
I have no problem at all with a flat tax and have been an advocate for that for many years now..flat tax,no loopholes..perhaps deductions for corps to expand and develope new technologies.

I'm not against just oil subsidies..I have posted many times that I am firmly against any business subsidies in a free market society..why give a farmer or corporate farm millions of dollars a year? Why give oil companies 37.5 billion a year(est) etc etc...if the farmer or corp farm cannot make it,sell it to someone who can...why pay CRP to a farmer to leave ground fallow? There are MILLIONS wasted on that in my county alone over a period of years and that keeps the ground useless.

256 BILLION dollars on crop insurance susidies since '95...90 billion in the next 10 years..that's just crop insurance subsidies.

EWG Farm Subsidy Database

There is a family owned farm about 80 miles northwest of me that is broken into shares and that ONE family received 1.9 million just in one subsidy since '08..then they have their cattle subsidies,corn subsidies etc etc and they live like kings and queens(arrogant beyond your wildest imagination),but the guys who work for them have to have a LINK card to feed THEIR families...get rid of those subsidies and let them stand on their own..they spout the fact that they pulled themselves up by their boot straps with no help...prove it and see how they do in a fair market setting.

No,its not just the Oil subsidies I would abolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
BTW, you do realize that all corporate taxes are passed down to the consumer via higher price of goods, don't you?

As far as the highway fund goes, I say we should just have a single tax. Each year, or upon selling a vehicle, the mileage needs to be collected off each vehicle and the owner pays per mile driven. The rate will depend upon the type and weight of the vehicle. Every penny of that money should go to the highway fund and be ONLY used for highway construction and maintenance.

The people who use the roads should pay for them and the money charged for them should go to them.
I am well aware of who pays what and there again,let the market decide..if a product isn't selling and a CEO doent want to take a pay cut,let the next CEO take the pay cut and the previous one can be the highest paid,unemployed guy in the unemployment line to get his check
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Hey Swampy, something else we agree on! Take care.
take care

Old 12-04-2014, 09:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
I have a better idea...how about dropping the estimated 37.5 billion dollars a year that the US govt gives oil companies and use THAT money for our roads?
Firstly they don't give them anything, it's a tax break. They are keeping more of their money

Secondly it's about 5 billion which is fractions of a penny per gallon. Just for some perspective that is about what Exxon spends in 5 days.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:27 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,409,523 times
I'd rather they stop spending gas tax$$ on stuff like river walking trails and bike routes.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Firstly they don't give them anything, it's a tax break. They are keeping more of their money

Secondly it's about 5 billion which is fractions of a penny per gallon. Just for some perspective that is about what Exxon spends in 5 days.
You are wrong yet again.

Did you not read the link I gave in my post? Do you know how a "subsidy" is defined

Tax breaks are a minor part of it.
Guaranteed loans..low interest loans..grants etc etc etc

Fossil Fuel Subsidies: Overview - Oil Change InternationalOil Change International

Shift the Subsidies - Oil Change International

Old 12-04-2014, 11:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampmonster View Post
You are wrong yet again.

Did you not read the link I gave in my post? Do you know how a "subsidy" is defined

Tax breaks are a minor part of it.
Guaranteed loans..low interest loans..grants etc etc etc

Fossil Fuel Subsidies: Overview - Oil Change InternationalOil Change International

Shift the Subsidies - Oil Change International
I don't get my information from biased sources nor do I reference them no matter which side they are on. I go to the source like the EIA who like the CBO is an independent government organization tasked with accounting and analysis, for the EIA their task is to provide accounting and analysis specifically for energy.

http://www.eia.gov/analysis/requests...df/subsidy.pdf

Old 12-04-2014, 11:13 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Raise the tax. Fix the damn roads already. It is long past due.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Fix the tax and the damn roads already. It is long past due.
Fixed it for you.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't get my information from biased sources nor do I reference them no matter which side they are on. I go to the source like the EIA who like the CBO is an independent government organization tasked with accounting and analysis, for the EIA their task is to provide accounting and analysis specifically for energy.

http://www.eia.gov/analysis/requests...df/subsidy.pdf
So there's no truth in the link is what you are saying? A watchdog group lies on the poor ol' mineral extraction industry?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies