Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 08:01 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times

Advertisements

And we're lazy? SMH. Boomers will continue to brand Milennials as lazy until the day they die.

Quote:
For years now, politicians and pundits have touted education as the key to economic advancement. And Millennials are the best-educated generation in American history. But we're not even close to being the best-paid. New Census data shows that despite the march of technology and our college degrees, we earn less than our parents did at the same age. The Census Bureau today released new data from its American Communities Survey, showing that today's 18-to-34-year-olds are earning less today than the same age group in 1980, 1990, or 2000.
Millennials are way more educated than their parents. They're also paid less. - Vox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 08:24 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Boomers know they had it better they just like to complain.

I would've loved to grow up during a time where you could just finish high school and go straight to work and earn enough to start a life. They could join a union, not have to finance everything, and they got away with crap on a summer off from school that would land them in jail with a record.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:35 AM

241 posts, read 189,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And we're lazy?
Yes, your generation is lazy. How else would you explain a "more educated" generation's collective failure to pull as much weight in society as previous generations?

Old 12-05-2014, 04:23 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn Your Own Keep View Post
Yes, your generation is lazy. How else would you explain a "more educated" generation's collective failure to pull as much weight in society as previous generations?
What are you talking? Financially? Cause that's complex. Hours? Sweat?

I don't want to get into a battle of generations. There's great Boomers just like there's lazy Millenials. But I do think its important to understand the Economic differences and how our current Economy is different than in the past.

I say this as someone not complaining, content with the things that I do.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:26 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Most Millennial college grads are employed and doing well; however, those who graduate from college in the lowest quartile aren't. Smarts matter, not the piece of paper degree.

The unemployment rate of college graduates ages 25 and older was 2.9 percent in September 2014, compared with 5.3 percent for high school graduates and 8.4 percent for those with less than a high school diploma, according to Labor Department figures.

Young adults with a bachelor’s degree earned a median $46,900 in 2012, compared with $30,000 for those with a high school diploma and $22,900 for adults without a high school credential, data from the National Center for Education Statistics show.*

However, the median annual wage for the bottom 25 percent of college graduates is little different than high school graduates’.*

*Bloomberg, "Millennials Most-Educated U.S. Age Group After Downturn: Economy
By Victoria Stilwell" Oct 8, 2014

Old 12-05-2014, 04:56 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
And we're lazy? SMH. Boomers will continue to brand Milennials as lazy until the day they die.

Millennials are way more educated than their parents. They're also paid less. - Vox
They may be more tech savvy, but they have a long way to go with history, civics, grammar, spelling, and work ethics.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:01 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
They may be more institutionalized educated, however, I've found them to be serious lacking in knowledge. Even with the plethora of information available.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:10 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Its not that Millennials are better educated, its that they more educated in current technologies. Those of us who are boomers who do ongoing education into new technologies not only stay up with them, but many of us do better because our foundations for our education covers more.

As to payscales for those who are college educated in fields that should generate a higher base, those graduating now are being paid less then we got 30+ years ago (or even 10 years ago). From looking at my field, I blame the Bush Administration for letting outsourcing blow out of control (but no one really noticed it since the economy was made to look like it was doing so well) that by 2008 everything collapsed. This was followed by numerous graduates through the years taking on positions at lower and lower base pays to where we are now. So now that current past graduates have set a new basis for pay, the expenses are at 2014 levels and not 1980 levels thus the paycheck for many does not cover current COL.

So are they lazy? It depends on one's perspective, age and age of their children. Mine, once they entered HS, were told that once they hit 18 and graduate from HS they had three choices of which none of which was to stay at home long term. They were to enter the Military, go to College or find a job (they both had jobs by 16). Both are under 30 and neither live at home. Both live within their means as much as possible, but if a need arises it's more difficult for them to adjust their budgets then it was for me at their ages. So I help when needed, but they know I'm not an extra paycheck for their lives.

So are they lazy? It's a mix of them and their helicopter parents. Getting degrees in dead end fields. Not willing to move to where the jobs are for their chosen fields. Being more materialistic then we were. There are many items to list, but it all comes down to the choices they made or are currently making.

Keep in mind that the US view is not the same as many parts of the world where a home being multi-generational is considered normal.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:14 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Actually the economy in the mid to late 70's was reminiscent of today in some ways. I remember lots of stories of guys with college degrees driving cabs because that was the only work they could find.

Old 12-05-2014, 05:36 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Boomers know they had it better they just like to complain.

I would've loved to grow up during a time where you could just finish high school and go straight to work and earn enough to start a life. They could join a union, not have to finance everything, and they got away with crap on a summer off from school that would land them in jail with a record.
Unless you got a government job, the unions were declining by 1982. That year, the unemployment rate in the rust belt was in the 15-20% range. Many of those really lucky boomers lost their union jobs early in that decade and were forced to go to school or accept a lower wage job.

Get a clue.

Bruce Springsteen, c. 1984

I had a job, I had a girl
I had something going, mister, in this world
I got laid off down at the lumber yard
Our love went bad, times got hard
Now I work down at the car wash
Where all it ever does is rain
Don't you feel like you're a rider on a downbound train

Billy Joel, c. 1982

Well we're living here in Allentown
And they're closing all the factories down
Out in Bethlehem they're killing time
Filling out forms
Standing in line
Well our fathers fought the Second World War
Spent their weekends on the Jersey Shore
Met our mothers in the USO
Asked them to dance
Danced with them slow
And we're living here in Allentown

But the restlessness was handed down
And it's getting very hard to stay

Well we're waiting here in Allentown
For the Pennsylvania we never found
For the promises our teachers gave
If we worked hard
If we behaved
So the graduations hang on the wall
But they never really helped us at all
No they never taught us what was real
Iron and coke
And chromium steel
And we're waiting here in Allentown

But they've taken all the coal from the ground
And the union people crawled away

Every child had a pretty good shot
To get at least as far as their old man got
But something happened on the way to that place
They threw an American flag in our face

Well I'm living here in Allentown
And it's hard to keep a good man down
But I won't be getting up today

And it's getting very hard to stay
And we're living here in Allentown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies