Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 06:00 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHastings View Post
Does the absence of law requiring equal share equate to men getting double the share and non-muslims getting nothing in every case of inheritance?
We're getting off-topic here, so I don't want to belabor this. But I still don't know of any american or british law that requires that all heirs of an estate must share in it equally.

And even if there were such a law, it has just about no bearing on whether the town of kennesaw should have allowed a mosque or not. After all, religious organizations are free to have opinions about specific laws without jeopardizing their right to have a church/temple/meeting house/synagogue - or mosque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 06:06 PM

410 posts, read 398,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Your question is hard for me to parse, so I'll just go back to my basic question - is there a law anywhere that requires that all heirs of an estate get an equal share? should there be?

If my mother had chosen to leave most of her estate to my disabled brother, wouldn't that have been her right?
Of course!

Now imagine a law which says that if you had a sister, she was only entitled to half of what you could get.
So 75% to you and 25% to her by law.

Secondly, if you sister decided to become a non-muslim, she is entitled to nothing.

Sharia-law-enshrined-in-uk-legal-system

Old 12-15-2014, 06:10 PM

410 posts, read 398,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I am saying that UK law hasn't changed one bit. Mostly because it hasn't. If you have a beef with wide leeway in wills, take it up with the Parliament. Because sharia has b.gger-all to do with it.

So four criminals were found guilty in an Australian court of committing a crime on Australian ground under Australian jurisdiction. Where's the Sharia Law take-over? If four members of a biker gang were found guilty of beating up someone under their gang rules, does that mean that biker gang rules have superceded Australian law?

From where I'm sitting, stupid people are committing violent crimes for whatever reason and getting busted doesn't count as a legal take-over.

(Also, no offense, but aren't you interpreting "Europe" just a little liberally?)
Let's just agree to completely disagree.
(no offense taken)

Old 12-16-2014, 01:50 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Quote:
Does the absence of law requiring equal share equate to men getting double the share and non-muslims getting nothing in every case of inheritance?
That's precisely it--it isn't in every case of inheritance. Only in those cases submitted to a sharia-compliant arbiter by the testator.

Old 12-16-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Of course!

Now imagine a law which says that if you had a sister, she was only entitled to half of what you could get.
So 75% to you and 25% to her by law.

Secondly, if you sister decided to become a non-muslim, she is entitled to nothing.

Sharia-law-enshrined-in-uk-legal-system

But we have no such law.

Muslim people making out their wills can apportion their estate according to sharia law if they wish. If this favors male relatives over females, there is nothing illegal about it. There are american christians who think that male relatives should "rule" female relatives, and might want also to favor their male heirs. Nothing illegal about it. There are parents with disabled children who favor those children over their non-disabled children. Nothing illegal about it. There are rich people who leave the bulk of their estates to various foundations or organizations, a smaller share to their children, an even smaller share to more distant relatives, and the smallest share to a few of their employees, while most employees are not included at all. Nothing illegal about it.

You or I might not approve, but nothing requires a person making a will to treat all heirs equally.

Please tell me why you are so worried about this. I know of no real-world attempts to implement sharia law anywhere in the US. (Hint - nut job fantasies are not real-world attempts.)

Old 12-16-2014, 02:40 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Well it looks like those "zoning regulations" that were given as a reason, but never able to specify what exact zoning to prohibit this from going in appears to not matter because the city council realized they cannot play favorites with religion.

Quote:
Kennesaw city council voted yes to let the Suffa Dawat mosque temporarily move into a strip mall on Jiles Road, reversing a decision earlier in December to reject the mosque.

The same city council voted the measure down two weeks prior to approving it, saying there were issues like parking, traffic and zoning that all played a factor in the decision.

"The city has approved as many as five other similar situations in the city of Kennesaw - churches - and they've denied this group," said attorney Doug Dillard.

Dillard said they had gone above and beyond what was required of the law to get the clear sign. He and members of the Muslim group were hoping they would finally get the vote they had been looking for.

"We want to be a part of the Kennesaw community. Muslims are part of the community in Kennesaw," said Dillard.

Read more: Kennesaw city council changes course; votes 'yes' on new mosque - WNEM TV 5

Old 12-16-2014, 03:16 AM

Glad to hear they are doing the right thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies