Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 10:18 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,151,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I agree with her. Standing up against what is wrong in this world is important. Blind hatred and intolerance is one of the things that is wrong in this world. She might run down the road with a baseball bat, but surely she wouldn't be swinging it at anyone who crossed her path. She'd be seeking out the bad people, I'd wager. And the vast majority of Muslims are NOT bad people. They are people following the religious beliefs of Abraham, which Christians and Jews follow as well. Those beliefs are open to interpretation, which is why there are three religions following those beliefs, as well as thousands of denominations, and millions of people who make their own determinations of what their scriptures mean.
Yes Blind hatred and intolerance is wrong. But how LONG do you be tolerant of those who are intolerant of you? If you are a parent and you see your child headed towards a group of people that you know are of the wrong character you act. You don't just throw your hands in the air and say, "well some of those in the group are good kids their just being teens." You do what ever you need to do to protect your child. And your sure don't advocate for the troublemakers.

There's folks that worship snakes. More power to em. Do I want them next to me and don't I have the right to say NO? I would be having a 24-hour-a-day physical symptom panic attack. When does their right to worship whatever they want have a right to effect my right of quiet and enjoyment of my property and life? According to some.. whenever they damn well want. And that's the issue here. When does someone's right to worship whatever they want take precedence over what's important to someone else's safety and security?

Look... I used to be a very tolerant person. But my tolerance for those being tolerant of the intolerant to begin with has made me intolerant. (Wow... that's hard to follow)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 10:36 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,352,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Yes Blind hatred and intolerance is wrong. But how LONG do you be tolerant of those who are intolerant of you? If you are a parent and you see your child headed towards a group of people that you know are of the wrong character you act. You don't just throw your hands in the air and say, "well some of those in the group are good kids their just being teens." You do what ever you need to do to protect your child. And your sure don't advocate for the troublemakers.

There's folks that worship snakes. More power to em. Do I want them next to me and don't I have the right to say NO? I would be having a 24-hour-a-day physical symptom panic attack. When does their right to worship whatever they want have a right to effect my right of quiet and enjoyment of my property and life? According to some.. whenever they damn well want. And that's the issue here. When does someone's right to worship whatever they want take precedence over what's important to someone else's safety and security?

Look... I used to be a very tolerant person. But my tolerance for those being tolerant of the intolerant to begin with has made me intolerant. (Wow... that's hard to follow)...
Which people would those be? Snake-handlers in the American South?

They don't worship snakes.

Old 12-09-2014, 10:41 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,943,549 times
Quote:

I'm tolerant of people who are intolerant as long as they do me no harm. When they do me harm, I rely on the laws of this country to punish the specific people who've done me harm.

I do advocate for freedom. Even for those with whom I profoundly disagree. If someone were to try to shut you up when you were expressing your views towards Muslims, I would argue against that. Not because I agree with your ideas and feelings about Islam, but because I agree with the idea that for freedom to exist, it must be inclusive, it must include those who I disagree with as well as those I agree with.

And I think before you ask the question about freedom of religion taking precedence over people's safety and security, you must first explore the question about how does their freedom of religion threaten your safety and security. If the threat doesn't come from their actual worship, but comes from a community that is consumed with blind hatred, then the community must become informed, must learn that the worship doesn't pose an actual threat.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
If the threat doesn't come from their actual worship, but comes from a community that is consumed with blind hatred, then the community must become informed, must learn that the worship doesn't pose an actual threat.
How many more innocent lives must be taken before it is seen as a threat? A million, a few hundred, or just one? I didn't realize that there was some magic acceptable number of human lives that can be taken before something can be taken as a concrete actual threat......

Old 12-09-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
How many more innocent lives must be taken before it is seen as a threat? A million, a few hundred, or just one? I didn't realize that there was some magic acceptable number of human lives that can be taken before something can be taken as a concrete actual threat......
The worship of a god is not a threat.

Certainly the teaching of extremists are a threat to be wary of.

However, we have millions of Muslims who live peacefully in this country and who worship God in their mosques.

So, if you want to stop this particular mosque, then prove that it would be a podium for extremist teachings. If you can't prove that, then the worship of these Muslims does not pose a threat.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:

However, we have millions of Muslims who live peacefully in this country and who worship God in their mosques.
And I wish those who live peacefully among us a long-life of prosperity, health and happiness. But the scales of peaceful to extremist's are tipping rapidly to disastrous level's on the wrong side of evil and I refuse to be caught looking the other way again.

I'm out of the discussion.... Have a nice day... and thank you for at least keeping it civil. It's greatly appreciated.

Old 12-09-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
And I wish those who live peacefully among us a long-life of prosperity, health and happiness. But the scales of peaceful to extremist's are tipping rapidly to disastrous level's on the wrong side of evil and I refuse to be caught looking the other way again.

I'm out of the discussion.... Have a nice day... and thank you for at least keeping it civil. It's greatly appreciated.
Do you think that blind hatred for a group, and open discrimination, might drive the moderates within that group to become extremists? A free and tolerant society has an obligation to uphold its own principles. When it fails to do so, it creates the frustration and anger that leads to extremism.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:28 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,456,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The history of Islam is that it began as "a small religious group, not part of a larger more accepted religion."

They persecuted the Jews and the Christians.

Learn some history, so you don't post things that make you look like an ignoramus.

Islam is a made-up "religion." They were an offshoot of no other religion.
Guessing comparative religions wasn't offered at DeVry.

To borrow from another post, yes. Yes I do.

Quote:
You obviously think I'm stupid.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:30 PM

47,021 posts, read 26,105,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Good- keep them there with all those other "nice people".
In Germany? Well, they are Germans, so I guess that's where they are planning to stay.

Quote:
Most "nice people" do not decapitate, mutilate, and bury alive others with different religious or political views.
Y'know, it's the weirdest thing, but they never once decapitated me. No did they mutilate me or bury me alive.

Quote:
I find these posts HILARIOUS, as liberals always claim that they are not Muslim apologists, yet look on this thread who is supporting Muslims and saying what "nice people" they are- liberals.
In civilized societies, Muslims, as long as they live by a country's laws - have the exact same right to congregate to worship. There is nothing to apologize for.

Not that I'm inclined to take comparative religion lessons from someone who doesn't know there are Christians in Iran.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:35 PM

47,021 posts, read 26,105,816 times
Quote:
Learn some history, so you don't post things that make you look like an ignoramus.
Quote:
Islam is a made-up "religion." They were an offshoot of no other religion.
My irony detector just went off the scale and caught fire. I'll send a bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies