Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 07:58 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
In the weeks and months to come we will see good indications of the likelihood of a large settlement. That will be the gun maker's stock prices. If they drop short-term, it means they fear the cost of this, and, if not, it means they expect to get away with little to no economic impact.

Since no one posting here has legal expertise, none of us are in a good position to understand the likely outcome of this legal issue
One thing we do know suing gun manufacturers would make the left just run for more anti-gun laws. They certainly would see this as a WIN!

It's only fair that much of the focus be put on Lanza's mental issues and that he stole the guns, those guns were not his. Seems anti-gun people and these families fail to see where the responsibility lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2014, 08:40 AM

13,232 posts, read 7,286,273 times
Why don't they sue Adam Lanza's family for not turning him in as a nut job with access to firearms. While many would like to pass laws to stop the future Adam Lanza none would have stopped him his firearms were purchased by his mother. Schools need to do a better job with security armed police on campus might have stopped him. Security cameras and electronic door badge control can contain someone who is a threat. While a nut job attacking a school with an AR-15 might never happen again I could see some Islamic terrorist doing the same thing. Police need eyes on school so they can direct officers to the shooter as quickly as they can. The subject of armed teachers or principles if trained as well as police I would not be opposed to the idea.

Not sure if anyone here is watching the current American Horror show on FX the tv show Dandy Mott is much like Adam Lanza.

Last edited by kell490; 12-21-2014 at 08:53 AM..

Old 01-03-2015, 08:09 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Poor Noah Pozner was killed by guns in both the Sandy Hook shooting and more recently in the Pakistan school shooting.

You can see his photo on the banner for the Pakistan victims:
Pakistan plans to execute 500 terror convicts in coming weeks in wake of school massacre - South Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

And on the Peshawar massacre facebook page for victims: Pakistan plans to execute 500 terror convicts in coming weeks in wake of school massacre - South Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

The BBC news segment at :09 BBC News - Boxer Amir Khan: 'Pakistan's pupils must stay strong'

And from Sandy Hook: https://www.facebook.com/39543631386...530214/?type=1

Guns. We gotta ban them. If not we are going to see more and more children like Noah Pozner murdered, not just once, but twice (or more!) in school shootings.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:17 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Why don't they sue Adam Lanza's family for not turning him in as a nut job with access to firearms. While many would like to pass laws to stop the future Adam Lanza none would have stopped him his firearms were purchased by his mother. Schools need to do a better job with security armed police on campus might have stopped him. Security cameras and electronic door badge control can contain someone who is a threat. While a nut job attacking a school with an AR-15 might never happen again I could see some Islamic terrorist doing the same thing. Police need eyes on school so they can direct officers to the shooter as quickly as they can. The subject of armed teachers or principles if trained as well as police I would not be opposed to the idea.

Not sure if anyone here is watching the current American Horror show on FX the tv show Dandy Mott is much like Adam Lanza.
Better yet, sue Adam Lanza since he is the one responsible... Oh and get your children put of government schools.
Why sue the family? Do you have any relatives or friends who you consider different? Even if you dont, if one of them does something to injure someone else should you be held liable as well?

Old 01-03-2015, 08:32 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Poor Noah Pozner was killed by guns in both the Sandy Hook shooting and more recently in the Pakistan school shooting.

You can see his photo on the banner for the Pakistan victims:
Pakistan plans to execute 500 terror convicts in coming weeks in wake of school massacre - South Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

And on the Peshawar massacre facebook page for victims: Pakistan plans to execute 500 terror convicts in coming weeks in wake of school massacre - South Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

The BBC news segment at :09 BBC News - Boxer Amir Khan: 'Pakistan's pupils must stay strong'

And from Sandy Hook: https://www.facebook.com/39543631386...530214/?type=1

Guns. We gotta ban them. If not we are going to see more and more children like Noah Pozner murdered, not just once, but twice (or more!) in school shootings.
Geez. That would be hilarious if the subject matter weren't so sad. I guess whoever's making up the posters in Pakistan isn't too picky about accuracy. Other kids on that poster don't look Pakistani, either. They're just picking pics off the Internet.

Reminds me of right after 9/11 when anti-American Muslim extremists were protesting and had a picture of Bert from Sesame Street on their Bin Laden signs that they pulled off the Internet!

Quality Control must not be a priority in some parts of the world.

Old 01-03-2015, 08:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Better yet, sue Adam Lanza since he is the one responsible... Oh and get your children put of government schools.
Why sue the family? Do you have any relatives or friends who you consider different? Even if you dont, if one of them does something to injure someone else should you be held liable as well?
Adam Lanza certainly will be named in a suit (or the estate of, whatever) and so will his family. His mother allowed his access to guns. And she most likely carried the homeowner insurance of the home in which he lived.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:02 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
And she most likely carried the homeowner insurance of the home in which he lived.
And this matters because??

Old 01-03-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Geez. That would be hilarious if the subject matter weren't so sad. I guess whoever's making up the posters in Pakistan isn't too picky about accuracy. Other kids on that poster don't look Pakistani, either. They're just picking pics off the Internet.

Reminds me of right after 9/11 when anti-American Muslim extremists were protesting and had a picture of Bert from Sesame Street on their Bin Laden signs that they pulled off the Internet!

Quality Control must not be a priority in some parts of the world.
Why make posters at all for a tragedy? Especially if you have to use fake photos? Why would there be "quality control" for a real tragedy?
https://www.facebook.com/apsacs.sect...e=3&permPage=1

Old 01-03-2015, 09:21 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Why make posters at all for a tragedy? Especially if you have to use fake photos? Why would there be "quality control" for a real tragedy?
https://www.facebook.com/apsacs.sect...e=3&permPage=1
I don't know why they made posters for the Pakistani tragedy. You posted a link of a candlelight vigil for the dead students. You would have to ask the people who set up the vigil why they had to have a poster. I guess they wanted a visual for their press conference or something--that's what the picture looks like, no? I think you are giving these people too much credit. They probably have some limited access to the Internet and limited access to news of the outside world and are pulling down what they think would be appropriate to make their case.

The reference to quality control simply means that, for example, if I am going to create a document to be seen by the public, someone should be checking to make sure that the images and information are accurate. No one appears to be doing that here. Who put the poster together in the Pakistani picture? Are they professionals of some sort, or are they just citizens trying to make a point and not realizing they are showing inaccurate images?

Again, go back to the Bert posters in the march in Indonesia. The people printing the posters later said they had no idea they were including a US children's TV show character on their poster--they just pulled down a picture of Bin Laden off the Internet, and happened to pick one from the goofy "Bert Is Evil" websites.

Old 01-03-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know why they made posters for the Pakistani tragedy. You posted a link of a candlelight vigil for the dead students. You would have to ask the people who set up the vigil why they had to have a poster. I guess they wanted a visual for their press conference or something--that's what the picture looks like, no? I think you are giving these people too much credit. They probably have some limited access to the Internet and limited access to news of the outside world and are pulling down what they think would be appropriate to make their case.

The reference to quality control simply means that, for example, if I am going to create a document to be seen by the public, someone should be checking to make sure that the images and information are accurate. No one appears to be doing that here. Who put the poster together in the Pakistani picture? Are they professionals of some sort, or are they just citizens trying to make a point and not realizing they are showing inaccurate images?

Again, go back to the Bert posters in the march in Indonesia. The people printing the posters later said they had no idea they were including a US children's TV show character on their poster--they just pulled down a picture of Bin Laden off the Internet, and happened to pick one from the goofy "Bert Is Evil" websites.
That is your interpretation. I'm just sharing the photos. There are many depicting Noah Pozner as a victim in the Peshewar Massacre. His family has yet to speak up about it his picture being used in both shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies