Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should synagogues, mosques and temples be taxed?
Yes 33 55.93%
No 26 44.07%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 08:34 AM

527 posts, read 709,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post
Would there be, with equal rights and access, allowances for non- Christian religion?

Would a court case, such as Windsor, which had a civil nature but an undercurrent of religion be determined by civil court?

If that decision favored for the civil nature and the Christian community objected would that court ruling stand or be turned over to a religious tribunal?

Would Jesus be shown as a white male, versus the real likelihood that he would have a darker complexion possibly even Saharan or Ethiopian in appearance?

Who would decide what version of Christianity-- I happen to like more of the Episcopal version--would be used?

My name is Thomas for a good reason, with Daniel as my middle name.
Oh J... You act as if there are no officially Christian countries in the world. We would be similar to the UK, Germany, Austria, etc.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:34 AM

18,401 posts, read 19,031,744 times
yes they should be taxed on both the income and the property they own. do they do enough charity to not pay taxes? no. some churches are too busy making huge buildings and enhancing their appearance, when they should be feeding the homeless and taking care of ill seniors and underprivileged children. no one needs a church that houses 1,000, the money could be used elsewhere. tax em.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:35 AM

527 posts, read 709,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
They should all be taxed with allowances for deductions for charitable contributions. The whole tax exempt and having multi millions of $ in property, private jets, mansions for the pastor, the pastors cars, all of the glitz and bling is ridiculous. There is a church in Texas with a $4.7 million aquarium in their $40 million church. THAT crap should be taxed. If that money were used for charity then it should be exempt.
Sounds like my nearby syagogue in NY...

Don't you dare call churches for cr*p!!!!

Old 12-16-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The Christian evangelical missionaries who helped to foster a bill in Uganda which would imprison all gay people and calls for the death penalty for repeat offenders. Gotta love all that Christian love and good will there, huh?

Tax the churches. All of them. Make provisions for tax exemptions for true charitable things like soup kitchens, but only if they don't involve forcing the people they feed to sit through evangelizing in order to eat. My guess is if that was a requirement, many churches would stop their charitable outreach altogether.

yes tax exemption for the amount of charity they do. I would venture a guess there are churches like many charities that spend only a small percentage of their intake toward charitable works. they should be required to spend at least 60% on charity to claim tax exempt.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:38 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,877,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
False... Not true at all
Absolutely true.

‘God Loves Uganda’ movie review - The Washington Post

Old 12-16-2014, 08:40 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:

The first amendment sucks, huh? I can say whatever I choose. And yes I do believe all the glitz and fluffery to be crap when these churches are supposed to be about doing charity work. A $4.7 million fish tank is not charity work. private jets are not doing charity work, pastors mansions are not doing charity work. All of those things could be clothing and feeding the poor.

I thought you said your new incarnation lived in Montreal. Getting your aliases confused Nunnor?

Old 12-16-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:

jjrose did not call churches crap, he called a church having an expensive aquarium crap. learn to read what is said, no reason to take offense if you don't add your own spin to what was posted.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The first amendment sucks, huh? I can say whatever I choose. And yes I do believe all the glitz and fluffery to be crap when these churches are supposed to be about doing charity work. A $4.7 million fish tank is not charity work. private jets are not doing charity work, pastors mansions are not doing charity work. All of those things could be clothing and feeding the poor.

I thought you said your new incarnation lived in Montreal. Getting your aliases confused Nunnor?
Nowhere does it state that a church may only exist to do charity work.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
jjrose did not call churches crap, he called a church having an expensive aquarium crap. learn to read what is said, no reason to take offense if you don't add your own spin to what was posted.
That has always been Nunnors way. Read what you want it to say, not what was said. Before long this incarnation will go away and a new one spouting the same lines will be born. New name same stuff.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nowhere does it state that a church may only exist to do charity work.
I didn't say that it did, but OTHERS are claiming that the reason churches shouldn't be taxed is because of their charity. $4.7 million would do a lot for charity, but it also makes a flashy fish tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies