Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 07:46 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,608,838 times

Advertisements

A boy who was born with deformed arms is suing six flags for not letting him ride a roller coaster, citing new safety concerns. A judge ruled the case could move forward:
Judge backs disabled teen in challenge of Six Flags Great Adventure safety rules | NJ.com
I have friends with severe physical handicaps and while I feel badly for this kid, there are just some things that their disability prevents them from doing.

*that should be "Judge" in the title.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2015, 08:22 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,171,851 times
Sounds like he needed to have a arm with 3 fingers that can grip the safety bar. He doesn't have that.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:39 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,428,038 times
The standard is that "reasonable accommodation" must be made for the handicapped.

To prevail at trial the lawyers for the kid may show that there exists some sort of regulation-compliant device or apparatus to secure limbless people into coasters which is "reasonable" to be used.

If such a thing exists, isn't terribly expensive and is easy to use then they should probably have it for their guests. If no such way to comply with safety regs exists, however, I don't see the lawyers...I mean, the kid... prevailing.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:48 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,171,851 times
Prosthetics are highly specific to the individual. There is no one size fits all, especially when this prosthetic has to be strong and secure enough to keep you in place on a roller coaster.

What could they create to substitute for a human arm for people with so many different conditions?

Old 01-02-2015, 09:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,831,688 times
Why do you think handicapped or disabled people are called handicapped or disabled? There are some things they cannot do and some they should not attempt. Riding a roller coaster without a way to grip the safety bar is one of them. It may be frustrating for the individual but that is just bad luck.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:48 AM

894 posts, read 1,051,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Why do you think handicapped or disabled people are called handicapped or disabled? There are some things they cannot do and some they should not attempt. Riding a roller coaster without a way to grip the safety bar is one of them. It may be frustrating for the individual but that is just bad luck.
Exactly. I remember a few years back when a midget sued Starbucks because they wouldn't allow her to use a ladder behind the counter. All the employees said it was a safety hazard and they were suffering burns and injuries from backing up into it when they were trying to move quickly. The midget ended up winning a 100k and the employees had to attend "sensitivity training." Reasonable accommodations are one thing, but causing an unsafe working environment for everyone else is another.

In the Six Flags case they can't win either way. Don't let the kid on, they get sued. Let the kid on and he gets injured, they get sued.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:17 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Default Trust Me, I Frequented Theme Parks For Years

I follow the amusement industry and I feel for those that cannot ride, especially if there is no test seat for these rides by the line with a sign stating the expectations for the ride. If there isn't I can somewhat see it but they do have the signs. The type of ride he was trying to go on was a stand-up roller coaster in which a person sits on a bicycle seat and stand rather than sit. I've been on two different versions of this ride and you do need legs on it. The ride that was name dropped from Buffalo (Superman) Ride of Steel, I've been on as well and the person went on without his prosthetic which caused industry changing standards for full leg prosthetic users trying to use roller coasters.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:52 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
This isn't just about HIM getting injured, though. If he can't hold himself in place and god forbid, he falls out and hits and injures or kills another rider, that's completely unacceptable.

These rides are safe to ride BECAUSE they are regulated and there are safety protocols. You can't toss those out the window just to spare an unfortunate teenager's hard feelings.

There are limits to what some of us can do.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:42 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,990,079 times
The answer, of course, is very simple; Install at least two NASCAR style safety harnesses in one of the coaster cars so that a person can be tightly strapped in place. Train the ride operators in how to install and adjust the harnesses so that the person cannot move in any unsafe manner. Make sure the harnesses will fit and restrain anybody from 75 pounds to 375 pounds. If you can't hold on, the harness must be worn. If you don't want the harness, you don't go on the ride. If you are less than 75 pounds or more than 375, you can't go on the ride.

Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,318,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The answer, of course, is very simple; Install at least two NASCAR style safety harnesses in one of the coaster cars so that a person can be tightly strapped in place. Train the ride operators in how to install and adjust the harnesses so that the person cannot move in any unsafe manner. Make sure the harnesses will fit and restrain anybody from 75 pounds to 375 pounds. If you can't hold on, the harness must be worn. If you don't want the harness, you don't go on the ride. If you are less than 75 pounds or more than 375, you can't go on the ride.
Then a 400 lb person will sue. Can't win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies